U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:37 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,305 times

Advertisements

Alot of teachers were not brought back to WCPSS, Durham, and I am sure most major counties in NC this year b/c of the budget cuts. Classes were made larger b/c of the less teachers. It is funny that the state actually had a ruling allowing more kids to be in with one teacher b/c they knew the classes would be higher with less teachers. The numbers used to state that teachers could have no more than 22 in a class then it went up this past summer.

22 is the average for each is school, but they are counting people like literary coaches, EC, BED, and other teachers that only have 5 or so students and which some have no classes at all but are considered a teacher. When they factor in two teachers, one being a classroom teacher with 30 kids and the other being the literary coach that sees 3 kids a day in their office then it looks like each teacher only has 15 kids. So those numbers across the state are such a lie.

Everything was cut that I know of this year with exception of testing. Guess what? Students take more benchmarks than before. Students who don't even take some classes are taking the benchmark on that subject. Then what do you think happens to the data? It means nothing. A teacher can't use it. Testing needs more money to make their job look like it is important in my opinion and they are assigning more tests and coming up with more. Students are taking benchmarks made in 2007 but testing has and gets money every year to update tests. Teachers don't even have the time to individualize instruction for the student body they are given. Some of that money could have kept some teacher jobs IMO.

A student does bad on the 3 benchmarks before the EOG (if that subject/grade has one) then they do bad on the EOG. Then we say oh yeah they were going to do bad b/c look at what they made prior. How much can be done with the benchmark scores if they are so misleading?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 AM

29,465 posts, read 33,740,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
Alot of teachers were not brought back to WCPSS, Durham, and I am sure most major counties in NC this year b/c of the budget cuts. Classes were made larger b/c of the less teachers. It is funny that the state actually had a ruling allowing more kids to be in with one teacher b/c they knew the classes would be higher with less teachers. The numbers used to state that teachers could have no more than 22 in a class then it went up this past summer.

22 is the average for each is school, but they are counting people like literary coaches, EC, BED, and other teachers that only have 5 or so students and which some have no classes at all but are considered a teacher. When they factor in two teachers, one being a classroom teacher with 30 kids and the other being the literary coach that sees 3 kids a day in their office then it looks like each teacher only has 15 kids. So those numbers across the state are such a lie.

Everything was cut that I know of this year with exception of testing. Guess what? Students take more benchmarks than before. Students who don't even take some classes are taking the benchmark on that subject. Then what do you think happens to the data? It means nothing. A teacher can't use it. Testing needs more money to make their job look like it is important in my opinion and they are assigning more tests and coming up with more. Students are taking benchmarks made in 2007 but testing has and gets money every year to update tests. Teachers don't even have the time to individualize instruction for the student body they are given. Some of that money could have kept some teacher jobs IMO.

A student does bad on the 3 benchmarks before the EOG (if that subject/grade has one) then they do bad on the EOG. Then we say oh yeah they were going to do bad b/c look at what they made prior. How much can be done with the benchmark scores if they are so misleading?
The student teacher ratio is often misunderstood and not applied correctly. It usually is not a student/teacher classroom ration but usually is a staffing ratio on the basis that certain staff are assigned to schools. Depending on the district that can include a wide range of people not providing direct instruction in a non teaming situation. If it is a special education staff or there is more than one teacher in there that will alter the relationship between the ratio and the actual number kids in any teachers class.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:00 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,305 times
I am talking class size, not student teacher ratio.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:32 PM

37 posts, read 34,617 times
Default Don't bet on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayzeekay View Post
Thanks so much everyone for your info, I have alot to figure out. I am so sick of NY & LI I hope we can be happy there. LI is getting so crowded yet we still feel isolated everyone is in a rush & there are no kids around for mine to play with. I grew up in Queens & would like more of that type of neighboorhood (how it was 40 yrs ago, not now!). I am an RN & hubby is a Cisco guy I know I won't make as much $ but I hope we can find jobs.

Hope is a town in Arkansas.

This isn't Mayberry anymore. Aunt Bee and Barney are dead. Andy lives on the coast, Opie moved to LA.

The employment situation here isn't golden anymore. I don't think you'll find this area to be the "quintessential small southern town" as portrayed by some. This place more than has it's share of isolation along with the overbuilt overhyped "rush" to go with it. "Neighbors" are often transient or they were before the housing market went "boom". You may be lucky to find anyone who has been in the "hood" more than 5 years.

No one can stop you, but you'd better have your eyes wide open and a firm job commitment before just up and move.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-17-2010 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: Deleted unnecessary political comment.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:19 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,588,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Maybe property taxes are "just right" in Maryland? haha.

LOL!!! I always wondered where Goldilocks had moved to!! She must be in Maryland.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:39 PM

7 posts, read 9,434 times
Wow LesBaer45, if it's so bad why are you still there?

I never said I wanted Mayberry. Alot of assumtions are being read into my comments that I did not intend.

I better have my eyes open? I better find a job? Wow thanks for your advice I never would have thought of that. Do you thing NC exists in a bubble? LI has the most expensive real estate IN THE COUNTRY. And the economy there is just as bad thank you; but we have NEVER had a problem getting jobs b/c of the fields we are in.

I have too many 1st hand accounts of people moving there & loving it to listen to the grouches like you. Sounds like you want Mayberry back & are pissed it's gone but that's no better than me missing the NY of my youth - I know it's gone, not looking to be a HYPOCRITE or anything, but it's a free country & I can move wherever I want & so can you.

I can't wait to move there & **** off the likes of you. It sounds even MORE like LI than I thought.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:07 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,579,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayzeekay View Post
Wow LesBaer45, if it's so bad why are you still there?

I never said I wanted Mayberry. Alot of assumtions are being read into my comments that I did not intend.

I better have my eyes open? I better find a job? Wow thanks for your advice I never would have thought of that. Do you thing NC exists in a bubble? LI has the most expensive real estate IN THE COUNTRY. And the economy there is just as bad thank you; but we have NEVER had a problem getting jobs b/c of the fields we are in.

I have too many 1st hand accounts of people moving there & loving it to listen to the grouches like you. Sounds like you want Mayberry back & are pissed it's gone but that's no better than me missing the NY of my youth - I know it's gone, not looking to be a HYPOCRITE or anything, but it's a free country & I can move wherever I want & so can you.

I can't wait to move there & **** off the likes of you. It sounds even MORE like LI than I thought.
Way to shake that "NY'ers are rude" stereotype! I'm sure you'll just fit right in and get along with everyone in NC!

Old 01-17-2010, 04:41 PM

37 posts, read 91,867 times
Perhaps it was a rude way to comment back. BUT it does get tiring hearing the constant comment==make sure you have a job, don't move with great expectations, etc. Every post starts with the same ole, same ole. People know their situations and are just asking advice on areas, etc. They know if they are able to move with or without a job, etc. It probably is annoying, but many people who relocate from LI are able to do so by purchasing their homes down here outright. Once you take away a mortgage and outrageous taxes, they can come down here with or without a job. I think the poster was just looking for helpful info. not a littany of what she/he should or shouldn't do.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:04 AM
GPC

1,197 posts, read 2,717,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo55 View Post
Perhaps it was a rude way to comment back. BUT it does get tiring hearing the constant comment==make sure you have a job, don't move with great expectations, etc. Every post starts with the same ole, same ole. People know their situations and are just asking advice on areas, etc. They know if they are able to move with or without a job, etc. It probably is annoying, but many people who relocate from LI are able to do so by purchasing their homes down here outright. Once you take away a mortgage and outrageous taxes, they can come down here with or without a job. I think the poster was just looking for helpful info. not a littany of what she/he should or shouldn't do.
I couldn't agree more. Amen Magoo55!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,153,091 times
Default Info you can use

Thinking of moving to Wake? If you go to the WCPSS site they have the reassignment plan available. It is not so user friendly at first. but think of the plan as a big web.
http://ap2008.wcpss.net/assignment-proposal/index.html

If you enter the street of a home you wish to buy, it will tell you what NODE that home is in. Remember, Nodes can vary on the same STREET so you need to be specific. Then it will tell you which schools are currently assigned to that node. Then it shows the two year projection of where students in that node will go. From there you can click on the individual school and see the nodes that will be reassigned (moving in and out.) and how that will impact enrollment.

If you print out maps available here
WCPSS:2008-2009 - ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS Quick Facts (http://www.wcpss.net/demographics/quickfacts/08/el-08.html - broken link)
and compare as you go, eventually you can see how they are shifting neighborhoods as each new building opens.

Based on this you can get a feeling for neighborhoods that might offer some stability. Not that you would KNOW for sure.

Some of the openings were delayed due to recession and there is always a chance that the plan can change. But if you start wading through the statistics they used to formulate the plan, you can see that they put a lot of effort into it and don't do any of this on a whim!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary