U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 12:39 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,167,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
When they factor in two teachers, one being a classroom teacher with 30 kids and the other being the literary coach that sees 3 kids a day in their office then it looks like each teacher only has 15 kids.

Then what do you think happens to the data? It means nothing. A teacher can't use it. Testing needs more money to make their job look like it is important in my opinion and they are assigning more tests and coming up with more. Students are taking benchmarks made in 2007 but testing has and gets money every year to update tests. Teachers don't even have the time to individualize instruction for the student body they are given...how much can be done with the benchmark scores if they are so misleading?
Mike, I can hear the guffaws all the way up here in NY. Do you really think there is such a thing as a 'literary coach' who sees 3 kids a day in an office?

I suspect what you are referring to is a LITERACY coach. They are more likely to spend time in classrooms working in tandem with teachers to address very specific needs. And guess what? Often those needs are identified by those very same benchmark tests you seem to think teachers can't use.

Of Course we use them! They are designed to specifically target areas of curriculum that need improvement. We use them as part of the instructional design process---Oh, yes, you have said we don't have time to individualize instruction. Sorry, but I do that for every lesson plan I write.

While I'm not wild about the tests themselves, they DO provide us with useful data and I'm certain that when NCLB is a thing of the past we will still be using certain techniques we have learned from this process to inform our instruction.

Mike, I'm curious---where did you get your Masters in Education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 02:45 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,967,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post

Mike, I'm curious---where did you get your Masters in Education?
Should I take this sarcastically? Are you trying to imply that I need or don't have a Masters in Education?

Old 01-18-2010, 02:58 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,845,668 times
Remember, please, that we're here to discuss issues, NOT each other. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:21 PM

Keeping with Dark Moon I will not write what I want.

Last edited by mike052082; 01-18-2010 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: not worth it.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:05 PM

7 posts, read 9,458 times
Default Thanks LibrarySue!!!!!!!

Thanks for the awesome info that is EXACTLY what I needed - realizing there are no guarantees. Super helpful!! I've been on the website & couldn't even find this stuff. I guess it's my NYness. Thanks again.

Since you are so well informed, may I dare ask: my daughter is in accelerated classes based on her testing as a genius on IQ tests. I am getting the "jist" that the schools down there don't have consistent programs at each school. Is a "magnet" school better for her or does it depend on the school? She is very into art & science as is my son. I amsure they will do well wherever but am concerned she may get bored.

Thanks again for any info.
I promise to end the snarkiness now.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayzeekay View Post
Thanks for the awesome info that is EXACTLY what I needed - realizing there are no guarantees. Super helpful!! I've been on the website & couldn't even find this stuff. I guess it's my NYness. Thanks again.

Since you are so well informed, may I dare ask: my daughter is in accelerated classes based on her testing as a genius on IQ tests. I am getting the "jist" that the schools down there don't have consistent programs at each school. Is a "magnet" school better for her or does it depend on the school? She is very into art & science as is my son. I amsure they will do well wherever but am concerned she may get bored.

Thanks again for any info.
I promise to end the snarkiness now.
Kayzeekay. You might want to try these. Since you take so much into librarysue over the locals try what she suggested here. She is so knowledgeable about Wake County Schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post

Regardless, it sounds like an excellent school for the students it is designed to serve.
School Directory: Special/Optional Schools and Programs

Old 01-18-2010, 06:48 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,167,182 times
Default Oh boy, you have reached the limit of my knowledge!

Quote:

You are welcome! I'm a librarian and an obsessive geek so I've been brooding over this info for 6 months.

RE: your gifted question...both my girls are identified as gifted here in NY also, and I have no idea what that translates to in NC. They didn't reveal the IQ results to me (I guess I could ask but didn't feel I needed to know a number). The elementary gifted program here is pretty weak IMHO but in middle school they can accelerate their coursework to be a year ahead by they get to HS which is an International Baccalaureate school (no magnet needed). I worry a lot about pulling my girls out of such an excellent district and heading to the great unknown.

My understanding is that there are AG (academically gifted) services available in each (elementary?) building but I do not know what form they might take. Havent gotten that far yet. (when I was in GT in NC in the 70s we met in a closet-hope it has improved since then! ;-)

As for magnets, they look awesome, but until I find a JOB, then a home, I can't guarantee I'll want to live in a neighborhood that could be served by a magnet. IMHO it wouldn't be worth a long commute for me or them as the neighborhood schools are supposed to be so good. Seems like getting in is a crapshoot also.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-18-2010 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Fixed the quote

Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 PM

491 posts, read 1,069,446 times
Quote:
Wow LesBaer45, if it's so bad why are you still there?

I never said I wanted Mayberry. Alot of assumtions are being read into my comments that I did not intend.

I better have my eyes open? I better find a job? Wow thanks for your advice I never would have thought of that. Do you thing NC exists in a bubble? LI has the most expensive real estate IN THE COUNTRY. And the economy there is just as bad thank you; but we have NEVER had a problem getting jobs b/c of the fields we are in.

I have too many 1st hand accounts of people moving there & loving it to listen to the grouches like you. Sounds like you want Mayberry back & are pissed it's gone but that's no better than me missing the NY of my youth - I know it's gone, not looking to be a HYPOCRITE or anything, but it's a free country & I can move wherever I want & so can you.

I can't wait to move there & **** off the likes of you. It sounds even MORE like LI than I thought.

Spoken like a true Yankee. They will love you in Raleigh.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 PM

7 posts, read 9,458 times
Thanks everyone really.

Mike - not sure why you seen to be offended I appreciate your input as well but you were getting into stuff that's over my head since I'm just a parent not a teacher!!

And I'm not even going to respond to Electroplumber since I promised to end the snarkiness, but let's just say I was born WELL after the Civil War thank you. The North is hardly made up of Yankees anymore. Just the baseball team. And they hardly represent the old North either.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone really.

Mike - not sure why you seen to be offended I appreciate your input as well but you were getting into stuff that's over my head since I'm just a parent not a teacher!!
I am not offended by you. Just someone else that seems that a master degree is needed. If that is the case I have two, one from UNC-Ch and the other from Duke both in education.

I would say listen to the people that know what is going on and visit, see, or work in these schools daily. Looking on some websites will get you confused b/c some of it is smoke and mirrors. I live and work in the school system here and I am National Board certified with plenty of things to prove I am capable but why would I need to put all this out there for someone who thinks looking a website makes them better or that they have a masters degree?

To get to your question though: No matter how much research you do and looking at demographics and web sites you will not be guaranteed the same school. For example, there are siblings that are in 6th and the 8th grade that both go to different schools. Neither being the school their neighborhood was first assigned. And get this, one school is on a traditional calendar and the other on a year round calendar. I can't begin to tell you what the mother had to do to get her two kids in the same school.

Nothing on this forum is going to help. You just have to keep your ear to the street so to speak and look at the situation in its current state when you are ready to move down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary