U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2010, 05:56 PM
 
10,750 posts, read 20,220,270 times
Reputation: 9890

Advertisements

I wouldn't wait till 35 mins prior to departure time to arrive at the airport. The security lines fluctuate and I've seen no line and I've seen 50+ people deep. Keep in mind most airlines pretty much cut off boarding 5-10 min prior to departure so that puts you getting to the airport 25 min prior to your cut off. I never wait in line and always cut but it still takes me 5-10 mins to go thru security and get to the gate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2010, 07:25 PM
 
357 posts, read 1,051,449 times
Reputation: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I wouldn't wait till 35 mins prior to departure time to arrive at the airport. The security lines fluctuate and I've seen no line and I've seen 50+ people deep. Keep in mind most airlines pretty much cut off boarding 5-10 min prior to departure so that puts you getting to the airport 25 min prior to your cut off. I never wait in line and always cut but it still takes me 5-10 mins to go thru security and get to the gate.
I flew out of RDU 52 times in 2009. I always showed up with same cushion... aiming and usually managing to get there 35 minutes in advance. Never missed a single flight.

That said I travel light, know exactly where I'm going etc. I would not recommend it for the more casual traveller. But even for the most infrequent flyer 60 minutes is plenty. It really is a great airport and the TSA staff there do a great job of flowing people through

OH I will admit I only ever go out of the new terminal - the old terminal that still houses US Scareways, JetBlue etc may not be so good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Durham
22 posts, read 44,822 times
Reputation: 14
We just flew out of RDU on New Year's Eve and the security line was a breeze. That was out of the old terminal as we flew Continental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2010, 11:48 AM
 
27,903 posts, read 33,489,197 times
Reputation: 4016
First time flying, any hints or tips? I've been on the RDU website and SW Airlines so I think I've got everything down like the 3.4 oz or smaller containers in a quart container and no sharp objects but is there any other things that I might be missing. How about laptops and such, are they a problem? Should I just carry that already outside of the bag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2010, 12:14 PM
 
238 posts, read 588,294 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
First time flying, any hints or tips? I've been on the RDU website and SW Airlines so I think I've got everything down like the 3.4 oz or smaller containers in a quart container and no sharp objects but is there any other things that I might be missing. How about laptops and such, are they a problem? Should I just carry that already outside of the bag?
You will have to run your laptop through the security machine (scanner) separate from everything else, in its own plastic container.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2010, 12:53 PM
 
1,956 posts, read 4,686,125 times
Reputation: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
I flew out of RDU 52 times in 2009. I always showed up with same cushion... aiming and usually managing to get there 35 minutes in advance. Never missed a single flight.

That said I travel light, know exactly where I'm going etc. I would not recommend it for the more casual traveller. But even for the most infrequent flyer 60 minutes is plenty. It really is a great airport and the TSA staff there do a great job of flowing people through

OH I will admit I only ever go out of the new terminal - the old terminal that still houses US Scareways, JetBlue etc may not be so good
I agree that with online check-in and no bags, 35 minutes is plenty. The only time I allow for a lot more time is when I have a 6.00am flight - the lines seem to be MUCH longer at those times.

I agree with you that RDU is a wonderful airport. Compare that to say, LGA, and there's really no way we can complain at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2010, 01:43 PM
 
27,903 posts, read 33,489,197 times
Reputation: 4016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
You will have to run your laptop through the security machine (scanner) separate from everything else, in its own plastic container.
Thanks, I just have the jitters having never flown before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2010, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Oxxford Hunt, Cary NC
4,188 posts, read 9,839,056 times
Reputation: 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Thanks, I just have the jitters having never flown before.
Just put your liquids in the baggie in an outer pocket on your suitcase so it's easily accessible. Keep your ID/passport & boarding pass handy. Be prepared to take off your shoes and jacket and put them in a plastic bin. Your laptop needs to come out of your bag, but if it has a neoprene sleeve that can stay on. RDU is a pretty laid back airport. I think there are "experienced traveler" and "leisure traveler" lines at security - just go through the leisure line so you won't feel rushed by the businessman with the briefcase behind you. If you get to the airport 1.5 hours ahead of time that will be plenty - once you feel comfortable you can cut that to an hour (or less).

Have fun! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2010, 02:37 PM
 
2,410 posts, read 6,746,569 times
Reputation: 1719
All good advice, I've been in and out of RDU four times over the last two weeks and the security waits have been between 5 and 15 minutes. On line check-in is definitely the way to go.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2010, 03:25 PM
 
211 posts, read 539,057 times
Reputation: 78
Just watch out that you don't get head to head with the mission/group trips that sometimes go out real early in the morning. 50 teenagers can be pretty lively when they are prepping for fun times and can sometimes not be prepared for the security line. My wife and I have almost missed a Saturday morning flight with a two hour cushion (intl. travel). Luckily we were the first people when they opened an additional line (old terminal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top