Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 05:23 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times

Advertisements

I have a random question. I live in the Pueblo/ Colorado Springs area where we could not agree on one regional airport so both cities have their own airport with their own tech parks that, IMO, struggle. Someone used you area as a example as to how the two cities worked to together to build one large regional airport.

My question is was it hard to get your cities to work together and do you think it has helped in the long run for economic development and why?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 05:32 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Here is a link to the airport authority and the history of the airport Raleigh-Durham International Airport (http://www.rdu.com/aboutrdu/history.htm - broken link)

I am not able to answer your questions but you might contact the authority and ask them what they have in their archives they might share. It is hard to imagine the alternative - two airports and research areas (RTP). It would seem to be a tremendous waste of money and I'd expect it would dilute what you could achieve together(?).

Old 01-10-2010, 05:38 PM

569 posts, read 1,978,331 times
Quote:
In a full-page ad in area newspapers, Eastern Airlines President Captain Eddie Rickenbacker urges Wake and Durham counties and the cities of Durham and Raleigh to build an airport together. “Do not allow civic jealousies or selfish motives to creep into a project that means so much to all of you,” says Rickenbacker in 1940.
You just need someone like Eddie Rickenbacker to pull you both together.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:38 PM

Thank you!

I tend to agree and think its sad that we could not do what you guys have done and the proof is you guys have a nice international airport with what I hear is a nice tech park while both of our airports and tech parks struggle.

I will defiantly look into it more because I think we can learn from you guys, and trust me when I say its not easy to admit that my town can learn from any other city or area. Dam pride you know!

Old 01-10-2010, 05:42 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I wouldn't call the airport "nice", although the newly renovated terminal is fancy inside. The other terminal is the pits. I believe the only international flight is to London however it is subsidized by the drug companies. Airports like calling themselves "international airports" because it makes the manager feel better about himself .

Old 01-10-2010, 05:46 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Thank you!

I will defiantly look into it more because I think we can learn from you guys, and trust me when I say its not easy to admit that my town can learn from any other city or area. Dam pride you know!
Yep, we've got plenty of that around here too!

Also ck out The Research Triangle Park our research park.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I wouldn't call the airport "nice", although the newly renovated terminal is fancy inside. The other terminal is the pits. I believe the only international flight is to London however it is subsidized by the drug companies. Airports like calling themselves "international airports" because it makes the manager feel better about himself .
It is much better then what we have. They can't even call themselves international.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:16 PM

5 posts, read 14,079 times
Quote:
It is much better then what we have. They can't even call themselves international.
There are a couple of significant differences between Colorado Springs/Pueblo and Raleigh/Durham that will challenge your cause: lower population density out your way; a longer distance between city centers (about twice out there what it is here).

Not that it makes a difference to you, but I love flying in and out of the Colorado Springs airport. Beats the hell out of Denver. Or, for that matter, RDU.

Cheers.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
You might inquire with the Dallas/Ft Worth airport for the same reasons...similar to Raleigh/Durham in SOME ways, though of course Dallas is a much bigger city.

The only downside is that people from elsewhere always think "Raleigh-Durham" is the name of ONE city, not two! Even magazines that rate the best cities sometimes call us a city. Both cities are tired of that

Old 01-11-2010, 10:02 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
I have a random question. I live in the Pueblo/ Colorado Springs area where we could not agree on one regional airport so both cities have their own airport with their own tech parks that, IMO, struggle. Someone used you area as a example as to how the two cities worked to together to build one large regional airport.

My question is was it hard to get your cities to work together and do you think it has helped in the long run for economic development and why?
With regard to the tech park part of your question - First, Research Triangle Park was and is a private venture - it was not something brought about by the cities of Raleigh and Durham. In fact, none of it sits in Raleigh and most of it is located in the County of Durham (some in Wake County).

Second - while RTP is certainly by far the largest, it is not the only tech park in our area. A few years back North Carolina State University started its Centennial Campus which has as one goal to provide an incubator for academic/business innovation. And UNC-Chapel Hill is soon to open its Carolina North campus with similar objectives. So in time well have 3, in 3 different counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary