U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:30 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times

Advertisements

Thank goodness for Pandora.com.

Keep in mind that for Beck and Hannity, Limbaugh is their idol, and money is their motivation. Rush became wildly, insanely rich by saying outrageous things (and because the Fairness Doctrine was abolished). They follow in his footsteps. I rubbed elbows with both of them at a NYC conference not long ago. In person, they are quite pleasant. When they are on air, they are performing. The mantra of the conference was, "We are entertainers." (Note, they are not educators, politicians, pundits, or anything else -- just entertainers. Entertainers make more money and can say whatever they want -- regardless of truth or fairness -- to delight their fans.)

I find it so sad most people don't recognize this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 04:10 PM

448 posts, read 583,465 times
Default Is there a good, actual *news* station that's local...

... you all would recommend? Without ideologues and spittle-flecked rants

I like to have at least one local news station preset...

Old 02-18-2010, 05:10 PM

10,696 posts, read 20,119,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
... you all would recommend? Without ideologues and spittle-flecked rants

I like to have at least one local news station preset...
Your best bet for *actual* news these days is the foreign stuff like the BBC. American "news" programs are almost entirely entertainment. Example Fox "News", almost purely an entertainment and opinion channel. Sad but true.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:25 PM

448 posts, read 583,465 times
I agree completely with you on national/world news, and I do follow the Beeb and other sources... but still I like to have a local news station when things happen locally... i.e. like after the Loma Prieta quake in 1989 where I was in a grocery store, finally got out into my car and turned on the local news to hear what the hell was going on as an aftermath.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:30 PM

3,149 posts, read 6,952,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Your best bet for *actual* news these days is the foreign stuff like the BBC. American "news" programs are almost entirely entertainment. Example Fox "News", almost purely an entertainment and opinion channel. Sad but true.
This is true. However, I must say MSNBC is the biggest joke of them all. I get Ch. 45 and 36 mixed up sometimes. Fox news is actually (according to studies) the most accurate of all the American news networks. But I do agree that on all of them what they report is 95% b.s.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times
What studies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
This is true. However, I must say MSNBC is the biggest joke of them all. I get Ch. 45 and 36 mixed up sometimes. Fox news is actually (according to studies) the most accurate of all the American news networks. But I do agree that on all of them what they report is 95% b.s.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
What studies?
Try Google and Bing. They can pull a lot of information for you. But I'll make it a little easier for you by giving you a link and you can continue your reading from the links off the page. Also, before you go berserk and accuse me of being an Obama-hating right-wing redneck I'd like to inform you that I don't usually watch Fox news nor am I a republican although I'm also not a fan of Obama either. (Sorry, but I had to inform you of all that because most liberals I've encountered usually attack one's character without basis.)
I've read other non-partisan studies as well stating Fox is the most accurate of all the American networks and it surprises me as well.

Fox News: Fair And Balanced? - Forbes.com

Old 02-20-2010, 12:07 PM

10,696 posts, read 20,119,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Try Google and Bing. They can pull a lot of information for you. But I'll make it a little easier for you by giving you a link and you can continue your reading from the links off the page. Also, before you go berserk and accuse me of being an Obama-hating right-wing redneck I'd like to inform you that I don't usually watch Fox news nor am I a republican although I'm also not a fan of Obama either. (Sorry, but I had to inform you of all that because most liberals I've encountered usually attack one's character without basis.)
I've read other non-partisan studies as well stating Fox is the most accurate of all the American networks and it surprises me as well.

Fox News: Fair And Balanced? - Forbes.com
The word "accurate" doesn't appear once in that article.

What they report on isn't inaccurate, just opinion. Very different things. One thing that pisses me off about Fox is how they sensationalize breaking news events.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
One thing that pisses me off about Fox is how they sensationalize breaking news events.
Well, dang, that's every news station.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:43 PM

98 posts, read 101,272 times
I feel all so-called news stations are pushing something, whether radio or tv. They are there to make money. What I do like about Fox is at least they bring on people supporting all sides. I like to see what people of different views have to say when face to face. Much is talking points from each side, but at least they are there at the same table. If you turn on the other stations, all you get is one sided talking points. What good is that, especially when it is all bs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary