U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM

35 posts, read 124,941 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the in-depth info convergent, If we have another child, maybe the schools will be community-based by the time they are 4-5 years old.

And no, I would not be offended by hearing, "have a blessed day." Hah!

Robbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 01:51 PM

494 posts, read 1,555,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieY View Post
Thank you for the in-depth info convergent, If we have another child, maybe the schools will be community-based by the time they are 4-5 years old.

And no, I would not be offended by hearing, "have a blessed day." Hah!

Robbie
Hahaha... if I have another child I don't know quite what I'd be hoping for. The one I spoke of is the youngest of 4, and she's going into high school. It would be quite a shock to have a 5th kid at this point in our life!

Best of luck with your quest. I would say it is wise to rent before buying. If we didn't have such a large household to deal with (and I also work from a home office), we would have probably done that. As it is, we love our house, but we would likely have ended up buying in a different part of the Triangle had we rented first. We just find that we spend a ton of time driving to a particular area that's about 15 minutes from our house.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:29 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,885,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
I moved to Raleigh about a year and a half ago from Loudonville, NY...
no way! do i know you?!

Old 01-16-2010, 10:40 PM

37 posts, read 34,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
no way! do i know you?!
Is there anyone left in NY?

Would the last person to leave please turn out the lights?

Old 01-17-2010, 02:29 AM

19 posts, read 43,159 times
I'm turning out the lights as we speak.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 PM

253 posts, read 452,408 times
I too am an atheist and I am loud about it because I don't know about this god thing, and no one else does either. So neither that or your ethnicity should be a problem at all.
There is a college on every corner down here, so you are dealing with well educated people, it makes a huge difference. You will notice it right away.
as far as where to live, look in Wake Forest. it will take you 30 min to get to work but it's worth it, and maybe not that long if you hit the traffic right. Look in the subdivisions out on New light road, Thompson mill, tell your realtor you want easy access to the beltway and 540, wake forest schools and unincorporated. The city taxes are high as they were rated just before the crash. So they are based on the top of the market and not what it is now. the best schools are in Wake forest and Carey, but Cary is big city and the forest still has that small town feel.
also, there are a few year round schools, which I highly recommend, but people are fighting it. Chance, even if it is for the better is hard to make people understand. I have gone to school in both, and had kids in school in both and year round is SO much better. So much better it's difficult for me to understand why folks are so opposed to the change. The kids have the same amount of time off through the year, just at different times. There is no 3 months in a row off, so they don't forget, and you can travel in Sept, Oct and feb. when it's really cheap! I don't get it, but whatever.
stay out of Durham and you'll be fine. take your time, do your research, and ask questions.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-22-2010 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Please review the TOS -- realtor recommendations are NOT allowed on the open forum.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 AM

35 posts, read 124,941 times
Thanks LPnerd, good insider info.

Robbie

Old 05-12-2010, 10:55 AM

98 posts, read 257,192 times
RobbieY-I was born and raised in Flushing NY-moved here a while ago and can tell you that this place is great. If you want a family-friendly town the triangle has it. I hated the subway and Penn Station myself and you will realize that NY is great to visit but let everyone else live there. I still have family on Burns Street and 108th Street-I do not miss that Queens Blvd or Continental Ave!!! I would not worry about being an atheist down here no big deal people are very accepting and you will not be in the true bible belt here in the Triangle. Personally I like the fact we can say Christmas here and all over the south-for now!!! Just remember if you move here use Sir/Mam and don't say your from NOO YOWK-LOL

Old 05-13-2010, 07:10 AM

4,529 posts, read 7,068,407 times
I see this resurected post has taken on new life

LPnerd's post is a little skewed. The tip about considering Wake Forest is good, and the scoop on Yr Rd schools is correct, however.....

The "beltway", it's the "beltline", I-440. Most of the construction inside the beltline is old Raleigh, what Raleigh generally consisted of until the 60's. Most homes were built in 30's, 40's, 50's. The area between the beltline and 540 generally was built in the 50's-90's. I-540 is the newest (loop) roadway and is further from the center of Raleigh compared to the beltline. Construction around 540 is generally newish. So living near either 440 or 540 would give you options to shorter travel routes.

It is NOT just Cary and Wake Forest that have good schools - Apex & Morrisville have highly rated schools, as does Raleigh. You can search for specifics at www.wcps.net

Durham - I worked in Durham for many years, have friends there. For LP to say stay out of there is absurd! It has the best indy restaurants, is more eclectic than Raleigh, is home to Duke, and has racial and economic diversity. There are some beautiful neighborhoods and areas in Durham. It is an up and coming city that has changed a lot in recent years. I love the people there, they are very genuine. Don't rule it out!

For a cute, tongue in cheek piece about this area, search for LoveBrentwood's post "Newcomers Guide". LB, like many of us came here from somewhere else. I think you'll get a kick out of it!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:30 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,891,916 times
Some of it's tongue-in-cheek. Some of it's not. The rest of the thread is interesting, too.

Newcomer? Triangle Terms and Survival Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary