U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:49 AM

10 posts, read 22,457 times

Advertisements

I'm with you, Robbie! Husband and I are desperate to get out of NYC/Westchester as well and are seriously considering a move to the Raleigh area. It sounds like it offers much of what we're looking for. I'm originally from upstate NY too, but never liked it, haha. So, I hope Raleigh isn't THAT similar to the capital district. Regardless, it must be better than here. We need some peace in our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 12:07 PM

441 posts, read 820,467 times
I grew up in Schenectady myself and lived in Rochester too. I've now lived in NC 15 years (how bad are the taxes in Schenectady now?..My parents always complained about them, but I have no idea in relative terms how bad they are). We are moving to Philly in July and our taxes will be way higher.

The triangle is similar to the capital area in some ways on a much smaller scale. Newer housing/apts and more trees of course along with the heat and humidity. You are much further from things of interest though (mountains/skiing etc). The lakes down here don't even compare to NY (All shallow, man made, murky at times). Cost of living is low, but get used to paying property tax on your vehicle. I can't speak for education. Good colleges obviously, but I didn't go to HS here.

You won't be heathen here, but some things said above will ring true. You will hear people openly talk about church (even at work), you will encounter some fake kindness and boring people. There are all types here though. You just have to find your niche. Its pretty family oriented here.

Good luck with your move and selling your house. Housing market is prob slower here.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,906 times
The schools are terrible here, I live in Knightdale the high school has no books.
I don't thing the people are super friendly, I think they are nice to your face and stab you in the back.
The total opposite of a New Yorker, who comes right out and tells you what's on their mind.
Good luck finding an honest mechanic, having any of the same consumer laws that protect you in New York.
The plus side not as hectic, no traffic, and costs of living.
It's hard to leave New York.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:34 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,500,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stace214 View Post
The schools are terrible here, I live in Knightdale the high school has no books.
I don't thing the people are super friendly, I think they are nice to your face and stab you in the back.
The total opposite of a New Yorker, who comes right out and tells you what's on their mind.
Good luck finding an honest mechanic, having any of the same consumer laws that protect you in New York.
As my buddy Joey says on his work truck, "If you (heart) NY, take I-95 North".

RDU is RDU. NYC is NYC. Never the twain shall meet.

By the way, we have nearly no twains (trains).

Old 10-03-2011, 08:54 AM

11,151 posts, read 13,802,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
RDU is RDU. NYC is NYC.
RDU may be RDU, but NYC is either LGA or JKF.

Just sayin' .....

Old 10-04-2011, 01:07 PM

380 posts, read 834,156 times
My advice....get out as FAST as you can!!!
No regrets here.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:25 PM

51 posts, read 87,668 times
Default puzzled

I was born and raised in NYC and I am completely baffled by your comments. One to generalize that the schools are terrible in an ENTIRE city because a high school in knightdale has no books is a bit silly. Two, having owned and operated 2 business' in NYC dealing with the public I can say with absolute certainty that being FAKE is a required trait just to get by in that city. Three, consumer protection laws?? I have no clue what laws you are referring to but I have found a good honest mechanic here with one thread on this forum. And it can't be that hard to leave NY more people are doing it everyday, just go read the NYC forums... how many people you see saying "can't wait to get out of NC and move to NY"... then see how many are running to NC. Sorry if this post comes across aggressively, its not meant to be... just putting in my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace214 View Post

Old 10-16-2011, 09:07 AM

253 posts, read 450,612 times
your right, apex has great schools, if your child is competative, all the schools in NC are pretty good. the best 1st grade to graduation is wake forest and CArey and I stand by that. sorry. Durham is a fine city, with many problem spots, and difficult for a newcomer to get a handle on if you're looking to buy a home within 3 -4 months or even wks.
I need to go into more detail, I forget people will always think the worst. LOL> Also, I wouldn't want to raise kids in the middle of a college population, and dowtown and nearby has plenty of them. Which is WHY I LOVE it here. Not a knock, just little kids don't need to be around that all the time, if you get my drift.
Wake County is by far my fav place to live, and I've lived in several , I just love it here and am sad to say we have to leave, for now. Job calls... blech. Moving to Hilton Head, and it's one of those places, nice place to visit..... nuff said.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,906 times
I do not think North Carolina is a bad place to live. I think its in no way is the school system compared to New York schools up there. Yes North Carolina has great colleges. For the person who grew up in New York, how long did it take you to find those two mechanics? In the process if something went wrong with your car with a another mechanic, could you call DMV and have them investigated? Report them? Have them shut down? Like in New York? Also to the person saying about (Twain's) are you proud North Carolina doesn't have many?
North Carolina is a nice place to live. I like it here no place is perfect, I was answering a question. The schools need alot of work, they need to protect the consumer more, the police need to stop harassing people and stopping people without cause. Its unconstitutional. I like the stress free life of North Carolina. I have to agree with the lady who said the scenery doesn't compare to upstate New York. Not Raleigh anyway, I also lived upstate New York although I'm from Nassau county (best schools in the country) when I see the trees and lakes here I also miss New York, where my family are.
All in all if I didn't have children to put in school I definitely would want to leave New York today.
The cost of living is insane, the stress is also.
I didn't mean to offend anyone. I just think North Carolina needs to change with the times. I do think they dislike northerners, especially New Yorker's . New Yorker's are friendly outing people.
give them a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary