U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:23 PM

35 posts, read 124,492 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm a 33-year-old Korean American with a wife and 1.5-year-old daughter that is sick and tired of living in the NYC area. We hate the high prices of everything here, he hate the freaks on the subway trains, we hate the rude people that block entrances. We were both born in suburban areas in NY, and we'd like to raise a family in a similar, but better-priced area. We currently can't afford to live in Schenectady or Buffalo right now because of the high taxes.

We currently own a 1000-square-foot co-op in Forest Hills, Queens, that we paid about $300,000 for in 2004.

My jaw dropped when I saw the real estate prices in Raleigh when I ran a search on Realtor.com. All the houses in zip code 27614 were gorgeous and spacious! If we move to Raleigh, we'll probably rent first and then try and buy a home for $200,000-$230,000.

After doing a lot of research, I am growing more and more in love with Raleigh. Does Raleigh have a Costco and Trader Joe's? YES! It even has 6 comic book stores! Wow! And North Carolina has a huge ultimate frisbee scene, very cool.

I have a list of random questions, thank you to anyone who can help!

1. I'm an athiest, my wife is agnostic and our baby just believes in food. We are Democrats, I fully support the NRA, I'm straightedge (don't drink or smoke), so we will be seen as heathens?

2. I grew up in upstate Schenectady, near Albany and my wife grew up in Buffalo, we met as college students in SUNY Binghamton, is Raleigh anything like these suburban towns?

3. I hear about how nice the people are in NC is it really true? My family is super nice and very open-minded and being around other friendly people sounds really exciting to us.

4. When my family goes to the mall, will we be stared at because we're that exotic "Chinese" family, even though we're Korean? I have to ask this question even though Raleigh has more asian people than Schenectady or Buffalo.

5. The schools in Wake County seem spectacular when reading about them on greatschools.com or .net. Is this true? Are these schools great?

I'll have more questions in the future, but these are all I can think of for now.

Thanks!
Robbie

Last edited by robbieY; 01-10-2010 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 05:15 AM

768 posts, read 2,422,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieY View Post
Hi everyone, I'm a 33-year-old Korean American with a wife and 1.5-year-old daughter that is sick and tired of living in the NYC area. We hate the high prices of everything here, he hate the freaks on the subway trains, we hate the rude people that block entrances. We were both born in suburban areas in NY, and we'd like to raise a family in a similar, but better-priced area. We currently can't afford to live in Schenectady or Buffalo right now because of the high taxes.

We currently own a 1000-square-foot co-op in Forest Hills, Queens, that we paid about $300,000 for in 2004.

My jaw dropped when I saw the real estate prices in Raleigh when I ran a search on Realtor.com. All the houses in zip code 27614 were gorgeous and spacious! If we move to Raleigh, we'll probably rent first and then try and buy a home for $200,000-$230,000.

After doing a lot of research, I am growing more and more in love with Raleigh. Does Raleigh have a Costco and Trader Joe's? YES! It even has 6 comic book stores! Wow! And North Carolina has a huge ultimate frisbee scene, very cool.

1. I'm an athiest, my wife is agnostic and our baby just believes in food. We are Democrats, I fully support the NRA, I'm straightedge (don't drink or smoke), so we will be seen as heathens?

2. I grew up in upstate Schenectady, near Albany and my wife grew up in Buffalo, we met as college students in SUNY Binghamton, is Raleigh anything like these suburban towns?

3. I hear about how nice the people are in NC is it really true? My family is super nice and very open-minded and being around other friendly people sounds really exciting to us.

4. When my family goes to the mall, will we be stared at because we're that exotic "Chinese" family, even though we're Korean? I have to ask this question even though Raleigh has more asian people than Schenectady or Buffalo.

5. The schools in Wake County seem spectacular when reading about them on greatschools.com or .net. Is this true? Are these schools great?

I'll have more questions in the future, but these are all I can think of for now.

Thanks!
Robbie
I really don't think your ethnicity will be an issue, there are many different cultures in the area, non of which have caused me to give them a second glance

I have lived here for 6 years and it is a nice place to live, you're in the Bible Belt and people are religious, you will see people praying before eating etc but they won't force it down YOUR throat

There is a Costco just through Downtown and a Trader Joes on the opposite side of the street, plenty of choices with nice supermarkers such as Harris teeter and Fresh market

People are generally friendly but not smotheringly so

Hope that info helps

Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,996,749 times
Quote:
Does Raleigh have a Costco and Trader Joe's?
Well at least I'm not the only crazy one. I have been making a list of reasons to stay where I am or move to the West coast and 'Trader Joe's was on my list
I think and hope you will indeed love this area. "Come on Down"

Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 AM

29 posts, read 55,664 times
I think that the Triangle might suit you well. My wife and I moved down to Chapel hill about eight months ago and we settled in quickly. Chapel Hill is a College town with the Research Triangle close by and therefore has a multi cultural population (including a substanital Asian presence) and atmosphere with a degree of sophistication and a wide range of services. Moving here first from Manhattan and then from suburban Maryland we found it easy to integrate into the local community and meet all our needs.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-11-2010 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: Soliciting

Old 01-11-2010, 06:11 AM

Wow, thanks for the info everyone!

Robbie

Old 01-11-2010, 09:50 AM

10,323 posts, read 18,660,193 times
Quote:

No. People in the South DO go to church more, and you will see churches everywhere, but a) not all, or even most churches here are "Bible-thumping" ones. The stereotype you've seen in the movies of all Southerners as religious fundamentalists who tell you you're going to hell is not true, at least not in urban areas; b) even those who ARE fairly religious most likely won't give you any trouble. You'll probably be asked about a church when you arrive, from perople genuinely trying to help (if church is an important part of their life and they may presume it is for you, too, and want to assist), but just politely say you don't go to church and most should leave you alone. That's not to say there aren't busybodies everywhere, but they are rare.

Quote:
Generally, but do be aware that it is taboo for transplants (especially from the North and ESPECIALLY from New York) to move here and "bash" this area because "_______ isn't like the way it was where we come from!" Long-timers and natives grow weary of that really fast, and there's a long history of folks doing it.

Quote:
Not at all, but I'm curious why you felt the need to ask that, "even though Raleigh has more Asian people..."?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:13 AM

494 posts, read 1,193,434 times
You'll probably be asked about a church when you arrive, from perople genuinely trying to help (if church is an important part of their life and they may presume it is for you, too, and want to assist), but just politely say you don't go to church and most should leave you alone. That's not to say there aren't busybodies everywhere, but they are rare.

Read more: Advice for a New Yorker moving to Raleigh? Wake County?
Oh yes,they will leave you alone alright.You will be on a hi and goodbye basis whether you want it or not.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 AM

3,777 posts, read 7,165,585 times
Samdan, did you mean to post a link to this same page? That's where it takes me.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Francois, thanks you for the tips. And as for that questions number 4, I just had to ask. I'm used to being stared at in my hometown and all.

Robbie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 AM

494 posts, read 1,193,434 times
[quote=sll3454;12397441]Samdan, did you mean to post a link to this same page? That's where it takes me.[Sorry about that,I tried to do the quote response thing,but cut and paste instead I think,or perhaps a combo of both.I have no idea what I did!
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary