U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 AM

3,784 posts, read 7,197,450 times

Advertisements

Coalition to Unchain Dogs

This organization was on TV this morning. It's a Durham-based non-profit that builds fences for dogs whose owners can't afford to.

If you're looking for some volunteer work, or if you love dogs, . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 08:05 AM

5,704 posts, read 8,343,996 times
Thank you so much for posting this! I might just get involved. I have no idea of how to build a fence...but hey, I could learn, or at least carry some wood ?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:54 AM

69 posts, read 147,641 times
Wow, this sounds exceptionally poorly thought out.

Many dogs are chained because they escape fences. The one they built looks exceptionally easy to escape unless they buried part of the metal mesh and didn't show it on the video I watched. Also, the small fenced area is NOT enough for the dogs to exercise properly, and I don't see any mention of them stressing the importance of proper exercise with the owners. The German shepherd they showed was calm enough to easily live in the house with anyone if they gave the dog a small amount of exercise. Now they are encouraging people to half abandon their dogs by leaving them in the yard.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,887,764 times
Previously, the dogs were on short chains 24/7. That's now illegal.

Without the fences, the only option is for the owners to place their dogs in high-kill shelters. Dog overpopulation in NC is a huge problem. Beautiful, perfect, loving dogs and puppies are put down every day.

The volunteers are doing the best they can and should be commended.

They are not encouraging them to "abandon" their dogs in the yard. The dogs were always in the yards.

Much has to be done to educate people in getting their pets spayed or neutered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupus View Post
Wow, this sounds exceptionally poorly thought out.

Many dogs are chained because they escape fences. The one they built looks exceptionally easy to escape unless they buried part of the metal mesh and didn't show it on the video I watched. Also, the small fenced area is NOT enough for the dogs to exercise properly, and I don't see any mention of them stressing the importance of proper exercise with the owners. The German shepherd they showed was calm enough to easily live in the house with anyone if they gave the dog a small amount of exercise. Now they are encouraging people to half abandon their dogs by leaving them in the yard.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:25 AM

477 posts, read 1,240,899 times
Quote:
Now they are encouraging people to half abandon their dogs by leaving them in the yard.
Not quite! They are trying to give these poor, already abandoned (on a chain) dogs some modicum of freedom. It never ceases to amaze me how some people will look for solutions to a problem and put them into action, while others sit on their couch looking for the negative in everything.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:27 AM

I guess I'm jaded because I only owned pets when I could afford to take care of them, and have made sacrifices to provide them with the best quality of life. My hope is that when these dogs die they are not replaced with another.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:32 AM

477 posts, read 1,240,899 times
Quote:
I guess I'm jaded because I only owned pets when I could afford to take care of them, and have made sacrifices to provide them with the best quality of life. My hope is that when these dogs die they are not replaced with another.
I wholeheartedly agree with you there, lupus!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:44 AM

321 posts, read 782,666 times
Lupus.... in a perfect world, that would be the case. Like you, I have always made sure all my pets are comfortable, safe and well cared for. But until we have that perfect world, this organization is doing great work, providing these animals with a safe enclosure, keeping other predators away and removing them from the discomfort and potential danger from being chained. I applaud their efforts.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:23 PM

3,784 posts, read 7,197,450 times
They also pay for the dogs to be neutered and vaccinated.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:40 PM

The bad part is that because they have the enclosure, these people are more likely to get another dog when theirs passes away. That's why I can't support it. And being uneducated, these people will probably buy from puppy mills or backyard breeders, which is exactly what we need to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary