U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 08:16 AM

22 posts, read 55,033 times

Advertisements

We are looking for recommendations for either assisted living or independent care facilities in this area. Mom is relocating from Florida to be near us but she doesn't want to live in our home. We want to be close to her so the location of her new home is very important. We live in Raleigh about 2 minutes off 540 and Leesville Road and our daughter lives about a minute from us.

Retirement community living, assisted living and etc is new to us. Mom is the first parent in need so we have no basis to make decisions or frankly where to start. We saw and spoke to the people at Magnolia Glen off Creedmoor, this seems like a good fit (although a little pricey).

We are asking for information, opinions and recommendations. Thanks for any data you can provide. I will check this board during the day or I can be contacted directly at levinesdesigns@gmail.com.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 11:00 AM

1,420 posts, read 4,447,256 times
Here are some links that may help you. Springmoor in N. Raleigh is a very established place, but I am not sure how much "assisted living" is provided. Croasdaile Village in Durham (2 miles from Duke Hospital) is very nice and has choices of "cottages" or apartments with varying degrees of "assistance" from maintenance and maid service to actual 24/7 care. It may be a bit further than you wish, but it's a very inclusive and supportive environment with fantastic staff. It's pricey. I suspect both places have a waiting list. There is a new place in Cary that is just completing construction at Hwy 54 (Chapel Hill Road) and Cary Parkway. I don't know the name or anything about it except that it looks nice. I suspect being new, it probably has availability within a few months. It's condo-style (big building with several floors) vs detached housing. Good luck.

Some resources that might be helpful:
NCALA :: North Carolina Assisted Living Association | Home Page
NC Division of Aging and Adult Services

Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,018,468 times
You might also find this link useful:

Resources for seniors in Raleigh

Resources for Seniors

Old 01-11-2010, 12:37 PM

3,406 posts, read 8,990,415 times
Try using

Senior Care, Assisted Living, Nursing Homes | A Place for Mom

Old 01-11-2010, 06:12 PM

465 posts, read 2,210,227 times
Hi, I am a nurse working here in the triangle area and can give you some recommendations based on the fact that I've actually worked at all of these places and know first hand the quality and prices.

Carolina Meadows, Chapel Hill, NC.~This is located in a somewhat country setting with a nearby golf course (I think). They have three levels to their care, and the campus is divided into 3 levels of independence: Town homes, which are for COMPLETELY independent seniors. They drive, they travel, they can care for themselves without daily assistance. These townhouses are newer and very well kept, and quite nice inside. They come with a one car garage, and all landscaping, etc. is included in the price of living there. Nurses are on call 24 hours a day if your mother for some unfortunate reason fell, or otherwise needed medical assistance. These units usually come in 2 or 3 bedrooms. They are carpeted and spacious, in case wheelchair access is needed. The second level of care is Assisted Living, in a completely separate building, and may have one nurse on staff just to pass medications and supervise, with some nurses' aides as well. These are a cross between private hotel style rooms and a small studio apartment. It has it's own dining room, which is excellent! I ate their several times on duty, and I thought I was at a restaurant! (no kidding). The seniors here are VERY well cared for, and the facilities are newer, and very aesthetically pleasing. The grounds are kept immaculately, and has a 'campus' atmosphere. Then there is the Health Center, which is for those that need around the clock TOTAL care, and cannot do much for themselves, have some handicap physically or some mental impairment, including not being able to toilet or feed themselves. This center requires the highest level of care, and the largest medical staff.

The Forest At Duke,Durham, NC~ This is located in the city of Durham, but once you enter the campus, you feel a thousand miles away from everything noisy. The set up here is identical to the previous. The food is excellent, it's newer, very easy on the eyes, and has an excellent reputation. I was also impressed with the level of care here. There is a pond on the grounds, but I don't believe a golf course, but don't quote me. They also have three levels of care as I explained above.

Carol Woods, Chapel Hill, NC~ I currently am employed here, and have been for the past 9 months. I have never seen such a high level of care in my life. This campus is a bit older, but well kept. I believe one of the Assisted Living buildings are actually brand new. This, too, has the same concept/set up as the previous two places, with three levels of care. I work as a nurse in the Health Center. The difference with this retirement campus is that it's run and owned ENTIRELY BY THE RESIDENTS. Carol Woods was started by residents that saw a necessity for more options for retirees. The residents care for the flower and vegetable gardens, they ARE the members of the committee, the set up connections and network well with the community. Volunteer stuents from nearby University of Chapel Hill North Carolina come there to work with and visit the residents, etc. There's a library, theatre and bank on the grounds, a lovely main dining room, and alterations center, a host of other luxuries so residents don't have to leave campus if it's not necessary. There is a separate committee with a director and CEO, but that's mainly for staffing purposes, and to stay in keeping with medical state laws and such. They also have nurses on call 24 hours in case of an injury or emergency.

Now, let me say this. There is a serious waiting list. I'm not sure about Assisted Living, and independent living, but the cost of the health centers in all three facilities average about $5,000 a month. And here's how they work: Residents make lateral moves. In other words, residents accepted into the health center (which is total care) previously lived in the Assisted Living. Residents in Assisted Living, used to be independent and lived in the town homes at one time. They keep the inventory of residents very tight. It's difficult for an outsider to come in without starting as an independent senior first. You understand? I'm probably not explaining this well, but I hope you get the concept. The waiting list can be years long for all three facilities, but call for more information. One thing I know about Carol Woods: Their monetary system is such that they will care for your mother until she dies, whether she has enough money at the end of here life or not. I forget the system they have in place that make this possible.

Hope this info helps!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:49 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,658,431 times
Can anyone recommend affordable assisted living in North Durham or Hillsborough? Please don't recommend places further than Durham or Hillsborough, thanks. It really needs to be affordable for lower income people. My grandmother is currently in JFK Towers in Durham and needs help. She is a very simple lady and does not need anything fancy, she would actually find something like that silly. My other grandmother who recently passed stayed in a nice home and I know how crazy pricey most places are and unfortunately that just isn't an option for my other grandmother Would a CNA coming by daily be cheaper?

Any other suggestions for affordable care would be great too, thanks!

Last edited by DanielleNC; 03-12-2010 at 03:24 PM..

Old 03-12-2010, 04:10 PM

305 posts, read 660,175 times
OP: in Cary check out GlenAire. It's a CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community) and very nice. It's sponsored by the Presbyterians, but I don't think you have to be Presbyterian or even religious to live there. They have independent living, assisted living, and nursing home care.

Danielle, Brookshire in Hillsboroough is supposed to be pretty nice. I think it's a nursing home and assisted living, but not really a CCRC, so probably less pricey. How much help does your grandmother need? It might be worth checking out. A nurse friend recommended it to me.

Croasdaile is a CCRC run by the Methodists in NW Durham. It's very nice and less expensive than some CCRCs, but I don't know if it would be in your grandmother's price range or not.

There's also the Presbyterian Home at Hawfields in Mebane which might be an option for you, depending on your location. I believe it's sort of like Brookshire and a nursing home with some assisted (independent?) living.

Al of these have excellent Medicare ratings. I don't know if a CNA would be cheaper or not. It depends on how much help she needs and how often she would need someone.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:36 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,658,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchodog View Post

Danielle, Brookshire in Hillsboroough is supposed to be pretty nice. I think it's a nursing home and assisted living, but not really a CCRC, so probably less pricey. How much help does your grandmother need? It might be worth checking out. A nurse friend recommended it to me.

Croasdaile is a CCRC run by the Methodists in NW Durham. It's very nice and less expensive than some CCRCs, but I don't know if it would be in your grandmother's price range or not.

There's also the Presbyterian Home at Hawfields in Mebane which might be an option for you, depending on your location. I believe it's sort of like Brookshire and a nursing home with some assisted (independent?) living.

Al of these have excellent Medicare ratings. I don't know if a CNA would be cheaper or not. It depends on how much help she needs and how often she would need someone.
Thanks Panchodog! Croasdaile is a perfect location since it's near my parents and they would be the ones visiting her the most, but I'm pretty sure that is too expensive. I was going to throw the Mebane area in there too since I live so close so thanks for the recommendation. We're not sure how much care she needs yet. She was just hospitalized today and has just recently been falling behind on things so we are just now looking into things. Thanks again.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 PM

1,420 posts, read 4,447,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Croasdaile Village in Durham (2 miles from Duke Hospital) is very nice and has choices of "cottages" or apartments with varying degrees of "assistance" from maintenance and maid service to actual 24/7 care. It may be a bit further than you wish, but it's a very inclusive and supportive environment with fantastic staff. It's pricey.

Some resources that might be helpful:
NCALA :: North Carolina Assisted Living Association | Home Page
NC Division of Aging and Adult Services
Croasdaile is definitely not for "low income" individuals. It's quite expensive. If you haven't, perhaps checking out the links above might help you find something viable for your mother's situation.

Also, I often drive by Carillon on Orange Grove Road in Hillsborough which is a relatively small assisted living place. I met someone whose mother lives there, although I have no idea how expensive it is. Here is a link: http://www.carillonassistedliving.com/index.html

Last edited by didee; 03-12-2010 at 07:54 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 09:59 AM

220 posts, read 764,062 times
This is never an easy decision. We found the Resources for Seniors (link is above- recommended by WeLuvNC) to be very helpful. We called and spoke directly with them to get guidance.

For the price and the location, we thought the Meadows at Brier Creek were very nice, and reasonable. We decided to move our parents there. When you call you'll speak to Leda, and she's so sweet and helpful. They do monthly social events, birthday dinners for everyone, breakfast socials, weekly trips to the grocery store, it has a gym, a library, etc. Its senior apartments basically, but with the weekly trips that take them where they need to go, its very helpful. Worth a look!

Meadows at Brier Creek: (919) 572-5147
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary