Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:00 PM

85 posts, read 450,653 times

Advertisements

My two sons have recently started (2 weeks ago) a wake county elementary school and the non stop talk from the teachers to the students is "don't you want to make it to the next grade, etc?" My 3rd grader is totally confused by this and is now in a state of panic trying to understand why he wouldn't become a 4th grader. This is 2007, right? Is student's "passing" an issue? In a class of 22, 3rd grade students in Wake County can this really something that the teachers are concerned about enough to scare the kids on a daily basis? Not once in our old public school district in IL, did the teachers routinely discuss with the students (as a class) the fear that they wouldn't make it to the next grade!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 09:03 PM

198 posts, read 908,310 times
From a standpoint of a teacher, that is not Wake at fault, just merely that group of teachers. Perhaps to, it may differ in IL, as to when your state's designated test is given. For example, here in Indiananpolis, our test is called the ISTEP, and it is administered in the fall. Many do not like this and think it's silly to do comprehensive testing when students arrive back from summer and then hold teachers and schools accountable. NC happens to do EOG, or end of grade testing which I believe is administered the last months of school. Of course, the emphasis on this test I can imagine is huge, henceforth these teachers making comments about it (passing it, etc). Testing at the end of year is usually a much better indicator of the child's growth (as they are arguing for spring testing here) I would never make such comments to a child though regarding failing, that is a private matter between admin, parent and student (as far as who would be retained) but my point is, perhaps the emphasis you keep hearing about is referring to these EOG tests and passing them.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:06 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,634,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkburk View Post
My two sons have recently started (2 weeks ago) a wake county elementary school and the non stop talk from the teachers to the students is "don't you want to make it to the next grade, etc?" My 3rd grader is totally confused by this and is now in a state of panic trying to understand why he wouldn't become a 4th grader. This is 2007, right? Is student's "passing" an issue? In a class of 22, 3rd grade students in Wake County can this really something that the teachers are concerned about enough to scare the kids on a daily basis? Not once in our old public school district in IL, did the teachers routinely discuss with the students (as a class) the fear that they wouldn't make it to the next grade!!
It's EOG (End of Grade tests) week in most schools....if not county wide. It takes a great importance. They do have to pass those tests to get into the next grade, though there are some options if a child doesn't...not sure exactly what they are, I've never had to look into them.

Yes, passing is still an issue. Kids are held back. Are you saying that where you are from kids automatically advanced? It's HARD to get held back....a child would have to completely not be getting a major portion of things...but it does happen.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach07 View Post
From a standpoint of a teacher, that is not Wake at fault, just merely that group of teachers. Perhaps to, it may differ in IL, as to when your state's designated test is given. For example, here in Indiananpolis, our test is called the ISTEP, and it is administered in the fall. Many do not like this and think it's silly to do comprehensive testing when students arrive back from summer and then hold teachers and schools accountable. NC happens to do EOG, or end of grade testing which I believe is administered the last months of school. Of course, the emphasis on this test I can imagine is huge, henceforth these teachers making comments about it (passing it, etc). Testing at the end of year is usually a much better indicator of the child's growth (as they are arguing for spring testing here) I would never make such comments to a child though regarding failing, that is a private matter between admin, parent and student (as far as who would be retained) but my point is, perhaps the emphasis you keep hearing about is referring to these EOG tests and passing them.
I see nothing wrong with letting the kids know that if they don't do well on the EOGs they can be held back. I do not believe in social promotion.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:12 PM

85 posts, read 450,653 times
My children started school and took the EOG's the following week. My concern is the emphasis that has been given (from my son's point of view with a large dose of input from the teacher) that should he/or any other classmate not "do well" on the test that they will not make it into the 4th grade. This is an idea that up 'til now has never entered his mind (that he wouldn't go to the next grade) and is hard for me to explain and something I wasn't prepared for as when entered this school.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkburk View Post
My children started school and took the EOG's the following week. My concern is the emphasis that has been given (from my son's point of view with a large dose of input from the teacher) that should he/or any other classmate not "do well" on the test that they will not make it into the 4th grade. This is an idea that up 'til now has never entered his mind (that he wouldn't go to the next grade) and is hard for me to explain and something I wasn't prepared for as when entered this school.
Well....ah....if he's never had to worry about passing...and he is doing well in school.....there isn't a problem.

He honestly never has been expoused the idea that if you don't do well in school that you might not move up a grade?

Chances are even if he completely blew an EOG, after being in the district for a week, they'd make some recomendations for remedial work to catch him up to grade level.....but if he's been been doing okay in school, it shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:20 PM

6 posts, read 19,913 times
how do EOG tests work for a child who is in special education? do they have the same test as everyone else? or adjusted for their ability level?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:20 PM

46 posts, read 131,637 times
From what I have heard:

NC has End of Grade testing starting in 3rd grade. It doesn't matter how well the child does in school the entire year. If they don't pass the EOG testing they do not advance to the next grade. I have heard positives and negatives with this. Some feel that the children are much too stressed out at a much too early age.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjolly2 View Post
how do EOG tests work for a child who is in special education? do they have the same test as everyone else? or adjusted for their ability level?
Special education students do not take the same test as everyone depending on their LD. Some kids take it with 'help' or with more time.

My daughter has said that one boy in 4th grade took the math portion with them, but didn't take the language arts portion.

They don't hold the kids to impossible standards.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:24 PM

402 posts, read 2,206,715 times
I must say, I hope they don't pressure my children when they're in third grade to make sure they do well enough (that's 8 years old, people....). It's not like they're going to study for it like the SAT's or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary