U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 AM

995 posts, read 2,505,352 times

Advertisements

I've used Green serve in the past. they are great i highly recommend. after rebates and coupons it cost me less then 300.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:20 AM

226 posts, read 436,561 times
The radiant barrier for me has made a good difference on my second floor. My thermostat sits at 76 and stays there now when it is hot. Before the increase in insulation and the radiant barrier it would go up to 79 even though i kept it at 76 because it was so hot. I just notice it is more comfortable. Keep in mind i have a unit in the attic. I have noticed the air out of the vents is slightly cooler. Which the radiant barrier can help with by lowering the attic temp. If you don't have a return unit in the attic you may want to just bypass the radiant barrier and go strictly with insulation. At least that is what i was told. Either way i am happy with the results for the low out of pocked cost

Old 09-08-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
$950 for that work is a great price for the fiberglass/radiant combo. Radiant barrier can be relatively time consuming to install, and in difficult conditions as well.
Agree about the install. I was going to install myself. But once i got up in the attic and saw how many joists i would have to go around along with the sheer heat i would have had to endure. I opted out and hired GreenServe

Old 09-08-2010, 11:04 AM

995 posts, read 2,505,352 times
Does Radiant barrier void the warranty of the roof shingles? I wonder if the excessive heat will decrease the life of the roof.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:08 AM

31,594 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
Does Radiant barrier void the warranty of the roof shingles? I wonder if the excessive heat will decrease the life of the roof.
Shingles greatest enemy is moisture, so just make sure the roof cavity is ventilated.
The warranty on a shingle is nearly worthless anyway, so you don't risk much.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:44 PM

285 posts, read 620,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post

The product I am considering, Radiaflect, increases shingle temp 5 degrees, which should not cause an issue.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy61 View Post
The product I am considering, Radiaflect, increases shingle temp 5 degrees, which should not cause an issue.

Any good Radiant Barrier will minimize shingle life and does not head up the roof deck very much. Just be sure you have good air flow like Mike said and don't apply directly to the roof deck. Leave an air space between the foil and the decking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary