Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,483 times

Advertisements

Anyone have suggestions on their favorite Mexican Restaurants (compared with the best in other cities)? Raleigh/Cary seems to be lacking for a solid mix of Mexican and Southwest restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,054 times
Being that I am from Tucson arizona and I am a mexican, I will say from my own humble opinion the mexican food here is not that great. I have yet to find anything to live up to the real cuisine of Mexico.

I should also add that if you have only ever tasted what we call Mex-American that you would probably not mind places like El Cerro or Tres Amigos.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:06 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,367 times
In Cary, my favorite Mexican place for good authentic tacos is Poncho Villa, in Chatham Square. I heard about it on this forum, and am very happy to spread the word. Not at all fancy, but very good. Carnitas, Lengua, Barbacoa, etc..... Yum.

The area is lacking in good (authentic) upscale, but if you don't mind going into some places that seem different than what you might be used to in a US restaurant, there is an abundance of good cuisine here.

Stuff like El Dorado, Los Tres and all that is not what I'm talking about.

Also, try Tres Hermanas in RTP, and serveral REALLY good places in Sanford, Especially on Sundays when you can get the soups, stews and other specials....
I'm blanking out on the name of my favorite place in Sanford, will post up later.

Also, try Tacos Mexico in Apex on Hwy 55. Be sure to look at the WHOLE menu.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:20 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
not sure about Raleigh/Cary, but my favorites in the Durham/CH/Carrboro areas are:

Chubby's Tacos - local 'chain' of taco stands. about as close to the burrito joints i'm used to from SoCal as i can find.

Fiesta Grille - Off Highway 54 in the boonies of Carrboro. worth the drive and the inconvenient location. the owners are from TJ and, IMO, have done very little to Americanize the food.

Mike

Old 01-11-2010, 12:37 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
not sure about Raleigh/Cary, but my favorites in the Durham/CH/Carrboro areas are:

Chubby's Tacos - local 'chain' of taco stands. about as close to the burrito joints i'm used to from SoCal as i can find.

Fiesta Grille - Off Highway 54 in the boonies of Carrboro. worth the drive and the inconvenient location. the owners are from TJ and, IMO, have done very little to Americanize the food.

Mike
After 4 years of looking, Fiesta Grille is the only decent place and worth the drive...the rest are like carbon copies of each other...terrible. There are many posts about this subject.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:26 PM

355 posts, read 957,977 times
My favorite spot for upscale Mexican is Jabarra in Raleigh. They bill themselves as "modern Mexican" and they do some interesting and inventive things. Btw, their sous-vide goat is awesome. The cocktails are very good and they have some very nice margaritas (cucumber, pear, etc.). The wine list also features some nice South American and Spanish choices for reasonable prices.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:08 PM

116 posts, read 326,247 times
I know I will get heckled for this (good thing you guys can't take rep points away)

But I love On the Border! =)

Old 01-11-2010, 02:17 PM

346 posts, read 613,037 times
Anyone know about El Fogon on Knightdale Blvd?

Old 01-11-2010, 02:18 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvet2006 View Post
I know I will get heckled for this (good thing you guys can't take rep points away)

But I love On the Border! =)

Not only is that not good Mexican food, it's not even good Tex-Mex

Old 01-11-2010, 02:48 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times
On The Border isn't the real thing, but sometimes I can't help but crave it. Same thing with Taco Bell, but it's even less like the real thing. Doesn't stop the cravings though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary