U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 PM

494 posts, read 1,553,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Unless the plans are REALLY different across the state, you should be able to get AT&T Fast-Access DSL for:

Fast Access DSL Direct 1.5M for 37.95. This is the one I chose.
Fast Access DSL Direct 3.0M for 42.95.
Fast Access DSL Direct 6.0M for 47.95.
Assuming you can get 6.0M... where I live I can only get 3.0M.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 03:15 PM

450 posts, read 1,358,571 times
I use Verizon DSL. The plan I have (naked DSL, no phone line) is $29.99 a month and it came with the free modem. It's 3-Mbps up and 768-Kbps down.

Here is their pice page: Verizon | High Speed Internet: Plans

That is in line with what you were paying two years ago, and probably the same speed, too. You won't notice a difference between this plan and the normal TWC Internet plan.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:19 PM

2,849 posts, read 3,978,859 times
All you guys quoting up / down speeds - how are you measuring that?

Old 01-11-2010, 03:27 PM

3,743 posts, read 10,944,965 times
The second I can get something else besides TWC RR I'll be there. Clear has the best price/speed but is not quite in my area yet, Verizon and AT&T aren't available, and BellSouth is too expensive. I did call TWC saying I would drop and the retention person lowered my bill back to $35/mo for 1.5 dn, 768 up.
AT&T Uverse is supposed to be good but its limited for availability, and Verizon naked dsl had a $19/mo 12 mo contract-free rate. Clear offered 6Mbps dn for $35/mo.

Fwiw, I switched from TWC to Dish Network for television and the hardware, HD channel offerings, and service are much better! I chose to turn in my cable box at the Raleigh center and was in line for 30 minutes with people just like me, dropping cable for satellite.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:29 PM

3,743 posts, read 10,944,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
All you guys quoting up / down speeds - how are you measuring that?

You can use the websites to chart it.

Speakeasy Speed Test

Old 01-11-2010, 04:42 PM

29 posts, read 115,066 times
If you goto bellsouth.com you see a 24.95 special for DSL for 6M download speed. But you have to have a 35 dollar call plan first. So you end up with 60 bucks+ 10 fee&tax=70

Old 01-11-2010, 05:15 PM

451 posts, read 1,010,644 times
We have DSL in North Raleigh through Windstream and get the 12 mbs. Unfortunately without bundling phone in there it's a little more expensive. Just checked and they have 6mbs for 39.99/mos. It's actually faster than my TWC internet but probably because we have the 12mb/s.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:28 PM

29 posts, read 115,066 times
I live in Carrboro actually
Just checked Verizon and Windstream, they don't offer service in this area, seems timewarner have a monopoly.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 PM

2,872 posts, read 4,968,878 times
TWC must have the politicians around here on the payroll. For how "wired" our area is supposed to be, I'm quite frustrated with the price gouging compared to other markets and the lack of an upload speed commensurate with 2010....512K upload - are you JOKING ME?

I've been a TWC cable modem customer since the day it was available here over 10 years ago, and their service is extremely good, but the pricing and actual speeds are for the birds. I keep seeing things about FiOS and other services but they never seem to make it. ARGH.

TWC knows this and other companies must know there is a highly lucrative market awaiting a viable competitor, so why is nothing happening? The free market doesn't operate this way without some sort of higher order intervention, and my guess is the government.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 PM

494 posts, read 1,553,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
TWC must have the politicians around here on the payroll. For how "wired" our area is supposed to be, I'm quite frustrated with the price gouging compared to other markets and the lack of an upload speed commensurate with 2010....512K upload - are you JOKING ME?

I've been a TWC cable modem customer since the day it was available here over 10 years ago, and their service is extremely good, but the pricing and actual speeds are for the birds. I keep seeing things about FiOS and other services but they never seem to make it. ARGH.

TWC knows this and other companies must know there is a highly lucrative market awaiting a viable competitor, so why is nothing happening? The free market doesn't operate this way without some sort of higher order intervention, and my guess is the government.
I'm not sure your theory is correct or not... but competition would have to help I would think. I too have been a TWC RR customer since the day it was introduced back probably 10 years ago. I moved here a year and half ago from Albany, NY. Where I lived there, TWC was THE only wired internet connection available. No DSL service was available at my house. Here, I have DSL available from AT&T, although its not full speed... only 3Mbps... but that's better than no alternative. My total bill in NY was $120 for Digital Cable, Telephone service, and Road Runner. My total bill here in NC is $150 for Digital Cable + Road Runner. In fairness, I am paying $10 extra for Turbo, but other than that... this is about 20% more, and I don't have telephone service. I have no premium channels and no DVRs. TWC is definitely gouging the NC customers... no question about it. Ironically, there was a period of 10 months while I was living here and my wife was in NY and so I had the service active at the same time in the two states. They were unwilling to budge on the price here, even though I could show them the bill they were giving me in NY for more services at less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary