U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 11:05 PM

29 posts, read 114,849 times

Advertisements

It's outrageous, they charge new customer for just 29.95 mo but they charge me 49.95 for roadrunner.
Can I just cancel my current service and apply for it again to take advantage of promotion?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 06:11 AM

258 posts, read 576,711 times
TWC has a monopoly on the area for pretty much one reason:

They own the "plant". A "plant" is the cable infrastructure i.e. the cables, the pedestals and Taps, everything "hard wired" including the little green box in your yard (thats a pedestal).

The biggest problem for another Cable company to move in would be the cost of plant installation. Remember back in the late 90's TWC was digging and working ALL OVER Wake county? Remember your old "brown Box" was obsolete and you got the new Black Ulticom? Then shortly after RR and Digital Boxes came to play? That was a major undertaking for TWC, and for another Cable company to try and set up shop would require the same thing, as TWC would not let them use THEIR lines.

At the Same time, Bellsouth (ATT, whoever) has a phone cable "plant" and tried to offer the new DSL service. This is where the TWC has an advantage, as the DSL requires you to be within a certain "range" of a "switch" and that made it not an option for a lot of people.

Lastly, Progress Energy owns all the utility poles, and Phone Co. and TWC "rent" each and every one in order to hang the cables in an "areial" neighborhood. I.e not underground with green boxes in yards. So the point is even though TWC IS outrageous, it does cost to maintain a "hard wired plant". Especially when other digging and construction keeps cutting lines....

I worked for TWC as a Maintenance tech for about 2 years (yes, previous post I worked at CPI, but that was years later and not long with CPI). I was there working for TWC in the Wake Forest Area while they were doing the plant upgrade, and then left while they were just introducing the Road Runner Service.

I don't think TWC will have a monopoly forever as we move away from the traditional Wired systems and more toward Wireless. Thats when the real change will be occurring. A friend is a "clearwire" rep/dealer and says it can compete although I have not checked it out.

Best way to save some moola with TWC is pay for Road runner only, dump the rest of the TV and the silly DVR and watch your shows off the internet (pc hooked to flatscreen) and enjoy without commercials, start/stop/replay/etc for free.

"Bundle Home phone"?? Yeesh, ya got a cellphone, and 99% of contracts have free long distance in the evening, which is when you "call to catch up with family" anyways. I haven't had a "home phone" in over 6 years.

Pay for good Internet, then look for cost savings elsewhere in the TWC bill like dumping the DVR box.
cheers

Old 01-13-2010, 06:15 AM

258 posts, read 576,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetopo View Post
It's outrageous, they charge new customer for just 29.95 mo but they charge me 49.95 for roadrunner.
Can I just cancel my current service and apply for it again to take advantage of promotion?

Nope, I tried this.

Also tried like Clark Howard suggests and asked for the "Customer Retention" Dept of TWC. When I threatened to leave TWC and asked what they would do for me to keep me (6 or 7 years now of RR) I was told best he could do was offer me a "great deal if I bundled my home phone or added some sort of TV package".

I explained how I don't need a phone, and get TV free from Internet so how is paying MORE saving me any money? I was only interested in the RR.

I was told good luck with the new company.

I'm pissed, but RR is still the best deal where I live....luckily I don't have to deal with them much as it pretty much works all the time. Their Customer Service sucks too.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:25 AM

494 posts, read 1,552,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68scout View Post
TWC has a monopoly on the area for pretty much one reason:

They own the "plant". A "plant" is the cable infrastructure i.e. the cables, the pedestals and Taps, everything "hard wired" including the little green box in your yard (thats a pedestal).

I don't think TWC will have a monopoly forever as we move away from the traditional Wired systems and more toward Wireless. Thats when the real change will be occurring. A friend is a "clearwire" rep/dealer and says it can compete although I have not checked it out.

Best way to save some moola with TWC is pay for Road runner only, dump the rest of the TV and the silly DVR and watch your shows off the internet (pc hooked to flatscreen) and enjoy without commercials, start/stop/replay/etc for free.
I don't think there are any metro areas that I've heard of that have two cable companies both having their own "plant" in the same neighborhoods. I don't see that happening. But things like FIOS, UVerse, etc. can compete, but they are not really moving aggressively to do so. As you said, wireless will offer some competition just like satellite has offered competition for their cable television. At first that stunk, but today its neck and neck.

Your plan of just going to internet based TV has one big flaw. You are using TWC's internet connection. They are already starting to roll out metered connections in other metro areas and if they start to lose TV business to that market, you can bet they will accelerate it. If you have to pay them per-gigabyte of data, your "free" internet TV won't be very free... in fact it will probably become way more expensive. If there is no competition for the internet connection (be it wired or wireless), you will be pretty much at their mercy. This is why it would be great to see all this government intervention to offer some incentives for more infrastructure development which would help other companies be able to get over the big "plant" entry cost to be able to offer consumers real choice. I think our best hope is something like Clear which I'm planning to check out. My problem is I really need RR's fastest service ... anything slower and my systems start to have problems. DSL doesn't give me that speed where I live. I should have thought about this when I moved here a year and a half ago. I house with FIOS or U-verse access is certainly worth a premium today.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:09 PM

747 posts, read 1,488,196 times
<rant>

Our ISP choices stink.
  1. TWC is biased because they really don't want you watching TV over the Internet or doing basically anything that will actually strain your connection. They also don't want you using Vonage or another VOIP provider, hence the incessant bundling and promos. They're going to keep increasing prices, especially for those of us without a cable TV package, and refusing to upgrade to DOCSIS 3.0 because they're rolling in profits already and it's more easy money. They're not stupid.
  2. The telcos are no better and are just as biased now that they're dabbling in TV. Their DSL offerings basically stink compared to cable and the next-gen connections like AT&T's Universe seem to roll out very slowly, mysteriously, and unpredictably. Furthermore, if you read about U-Verse you'll notice that television watching can affect your Internet speed. It's all pushed through the same pipe. Ridiculous.

The telcos here not not good competition. How do we know this? The speed of a Road Runner/Earthlink connection here here is 1/2 or less that of other more competitive markets. As others have mentioned, the upload speed has been abysmal for a decade. I went home to VT for Christmas and my mother/father-in-law had a 16Mb/2Mb cable connection through Comcast. Their town has 10K people in it!

FIOS would be better but it's never coming. Verizon sold us out.
  3. Satellite Internet is expensive, slow, and capped. Basically D.O.A..
  4. I'm not a big fan of the idea of getting my crucial Internet connection wirelessly with Clearwire, but hopefully it takes off here and the competition caps the Internet price increase for a couple of years. We can only dream I guess.
  5. The people in Wilson have it gooooooooooooood with Greenlight.

</rant>

Old 12-02-2010, 06:49 PM

6 posts, read 13,333 times
Please understand that TWC pays the Raleigh/Wake Cty government to gain permission to screw the public. If the government can get enough money, they will allow any monopoly (read old Russa) to control a market. In the old times, NO COMPANY would be allowed to do what TWC does in this market.
TV quality is Well Below average. Channel offering is rediculus. Finally, their phone is the most expensive offered in any market - and no better than magic Jack (at under 2 bucks a month) and more expensive than Vontage (that included international calling in the basic 24.95 charge. ClearWire, where are you???????!!!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:30 PM

216 posts, read 454,997 times
Winstream DSL internet in Sanford is garbage.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,897 times
I don't understand most of the solutions people are offering but I know that TWC is the stupidest and worst organization I have ever encountered. Is there any simple way to get rid of them and just use one's computer for everything?

Old 06-14-2015, 04:16 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,193,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Sage View Post
I don't understand most of the solutions people are offering but I know that TWC is the stupidest and worst organization I have ever encountered. Is there any simple way to get rid of them and just use one's computer for everything?
Hey, you're new here. Welcome!

So this is an old thread and ignores the changes that have happened in recent years. The Triangle universities and communities were galvanized by the Google Fiber effort and worked to market the region as a great place for telecom companies to bring new-build, next-generation fiber optic networks.

Depending on where you live in the Triangle, you may have one of several options:

1. AT&T: Has provided U-Verse services for several years, and is now upgrading the service to fiber-to-the-home technology in certain areas.

2. Google: Google has announced that several Triangle cities/suburbs will receive Google Fiber. Check the N&O or Triangle Business Journal to find out more about where they're making progress. I don't believe they are yet offering service in any neighborhoods but everyone is waiting for a launch date.

3. Frontier: The phone company in Durham is offering fiber optic service in some areas; you have to call them for details. (Or, you may qualify for their DSL service.)

4. CenturyLink: Offers DSL and is starting to offer fiber for small businesses, maybe home at some point?

Bottom line -- things are moving in a great direction. We're just not there yet.

If TWC is your best wired option, consider subscribing to EarthLink high speed internet. It uses TWC's infrastructure but is slightly cheaper. In my experience with EarthLink I have not encountered delays with sites like Netflix.

There are lots of other threads on here about home Internet you may want to check out. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2015, 05:16 AM

2,849 posts, read 3,973,341 times
CenturyLink is also doing fiber directly to your home - punch in your address to see if it is in your neighborhood yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary