U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:59 PM

6,186 posts, read 13,891,916 times

Advertisements

It should all get much better with the new school board. (HAHAHAHAHAHA. Right.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 06:44 PM

29,465 posts, read 33,801,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
It should all get much better with the new school board. (HAHAHAHAHAHA. Right.)
The new school board hired a new administrative assistant named Pandora.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:13 PM

4,597 posts, read 10,250,781 times
I am ALL FOR assessing individual student performance. I cannot fathom exactly how SAS has developed a software program that is truly capable of tracking such performance. If indeed, SAS has, then the county (as well as the State) is stupid for not taking SAS up on their free offer. Just how the schools 'hide' poor performing students, teachers, schools is well worth looking into, regardless.

Poorly performing students do not necessarily have to be minorities, either. In the schools on the coast, it is the 'beach kids' -- and many of them are quite affluent.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 PM

616 posts, read 1,269,088 times
It is true, go to any of the wake county High schools and look at the rosters of the TECH MATH classes, then look at Algebra ! classes... Black and latino students predominate in the Tech Math classes, which are a wasteland!!!! Seriously go!

Old 01-13-2010, 07:20 AM

906 posts, read 2,076,480 times
RDSLOTS, NCDPI has already purchased the SAS software for all of our school districts to use. Its already paid for so districts can use it for free. Many other NC districts have been using it already but Wake has chosen to go with its own system, called the Effectiveness Index.

The EI automatically lowers the expectations for low income students because they are low income. They lower the expectations again if that child is assigned to a higher poverty school. 2 kids: kid A is not F&R, Kid B is. They have the exact same academic record and both score a 4 on the EOGs. WCPSS predicts that Kid A will score a 4 on the EOGs again next year. Because he's low income, they predict that Kid B will score only a 3. If Kid B does indeed only score a 3 the following year, WCPSS will still consider his teacher 'effective' because he did as they expected. Even though he actually did worse than he did the year before. Its really quite disgusting.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,963,258 times
The ABC system the govt uses is decent when you understand it and get past the moaning and groaning as I did.

It averages out the students prior two years. Takes a number a one point below that and a few points above that. If the student falls into that range then it is considered growth. This takes in account for kids with great teachers one year and not the other.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 AM

906 posts, read 2,076,480 times
Mike--the Effectiveness Index that I am talking about is not the ABC system. Its something developed by WCPSS for its own use and is used for different purposes than the ABC system.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 AM

997 posts, read 4,170,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
RDSLOTS, NCDPI has already purchased the SAS software for all of our school districts to use. Its already paid for so districts can use it for free. Many other NC districts have been using it already but Wake has chosen to go with its own system, called the Effectiveness Index.

The EI automatically lowers the expectations for low income students because they are low income. They lower the expectations again if that child is assigned to a higher poverty school. 2 kids: kid A is not F&R, Kid B is. They have the exact same academic record and both score a 4 on the EOGs. WCPSS predicts that Kid A will score a 4 on the EOGs again next year. Because he's low income, they predict that Kid B will score only a 3. If Kid B does indeed only score a 3 the following year, WCPSS will still consider his teacher 'effective' because he did as they expected. Even though he actually did worse than he did the year before. Its really quite disgusting.
Even if we did assess the children appropriately I don't think Wake County is skilled and educated enough themselves to deal with the situtation.

I have 1 child who is ADHD and Wake did nothing. He wasn't a discipline problem. I was at an IEP meeting and a Green Hope teacher said well if he CAN'T do the work I don't want him in my class. WHAT. Administration did nothing. Didn't bat an eyelash. When we lived in MA the tune of the meeting would have been what are we going to do and how are we all going to work together to help this child. They bent over backwards for him. He even made student of the month a few times.

My 2nd child is very advanced. I didn't see Wake challenge her or even have the offerings at all for her to excell any further. At our old school I was always in contact w/ the teachers and we worked together to challenge her more.

My 3rd child who is average is just getting by. I found the currculum in our last district to be more diffucult so he was working hard and being challenged to obtain the grades he got.

So I've had experience w/ all three types and it just seems that they want you to go to school, do your work and that's it. If you can do the work it's fine and no other need to go any further and if you can't it's oh well figure it out it's your problem. I am talking about different ages and different schools so it's not just concentrated at one particular school. It's either pure laziness to go the extra mile or they're not skilled enough themselves.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,963,258 times
I think the problem is so much bigger than being able to focus on certain things. Everyone can't be happy and it is not going to happen.

Your childs education is directly related to his/her teachers. Hopefully your child is enrolled at a school with a high percentage of teachers you want so that you have a better chance of getting that teacher. The people that work in a school changes from year to year.

District decisions are another thing that is easy to argue b/c they affect so many students that are different. I don't think there is one perfect school in a public school system.

If I feel my daughter needs to be challenged more and I don't think a teacher is doing it then I would have to step up to the plate and take control of her education afterschool. As well as if she needs more help that I don't think the teacher is giving.

The school and the teacher can only do so much, although I do agree that they don't do that sometimes. Remeber there are so many alphabet kids whose needs so many accomidations that I wonder what is going to happen to them in the workforce. Even state colleges and universities have started having to comply with the accomidations, some of which are ridiculous)

Old 01-13-2010, 08:46 AM

29,465 posts, read 33,801,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I am ALL FOR assessing individual student performance. I cannot fathom exactly how SAS has developed a software program that is truly capable of tracking such performance. If indeed, SAS has, then the county (as well as the State) is stupid for not taking SAS up on their free offer. Just how the schools 'hide' poor performing students, teachers, schools is well worth looking into, regardless.

Poorly performing students do not necessarily have to be minorities, either. In the schools on the coast, it is the 'beach kids' -- and many of them are quite affluent.
SAS is a top company and there is every reason to believe it works and is tested. The reason to not run out and adopt it are the values that go into it. School systems like to massage the data based on the values they want to articulate and those might not be what unbiased research says matters. Wake is a perfect case and the continuing discussion about their data and how it is managed and disclosed. When we mine data and decide what to highlight that says a lot about our values or lack of in certain areas. The discussion about minority participation in middle school Algebra 1 raises the question of which did the system value more:

A. Minority students individually achieving at the highest level possible
B. Boosting the pass rate of minority students on assessments measuring below Algebra 1 math.

That is why some are shouting shame, shame and more shame to the system.

Last edited by TuborgP; 01-13-2010 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary