U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,167 times

Advertisements

Would love to hear from parents of kids in these schools as this area of CH is appealing to me. We currently live and work in Durham, but are looking to buy before our child is ready for kindergarten. Would like to stay close to Durham, but are interested in CH schools.

Thanks for any opinions, etc. you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 AM

169 posts, read 497,906 times
My son is now in middle school, but he went to Ephesus from kindergarten through 3rd grade. His teachers were wonderful and we had a great experience with him being there. Do you have specific questions about the school?

We don't have any direct experience with Phillips, but my son has a couple of close friends who go there and the boys and their parents are happy with it.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 AM

No specific questions. This being our first child, I am new to all of this school searching! And since we don't own a place yet, our options are wide open.

Where I grew up, we have one school from K-12, and the school is its own district. lol. The choices here are overwhelming (and underwhelming in some regard, too). I would like a "small community" feel because that is what I am accustomed to from my hometown, and that feels safe to me. From what I keep reading on these boards, the academics at any of the CH schools are good. I think my worries are about the social aspects, safety, kindness of teachers... all that lovey dovey mama type stuff.

Thanks polarbear, for your reply!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:25 PM

169 posts, read 497,906 times
It's great to have options, but yes, they can be overwhelming.

I felt like Ephesus did have a community feel to it - they had several evening events throughout the year - not just open house, but science night, international night, a talent show, etc. Lots of kids walked to school (I don't know what percentage, but I sure saw a lot of kids walk by my house) which made it feel like a neighborhood school to me. The teachers were very approachable and treated my son with caring. My son's gifted needs were addressed as well as some adjustment issues that he had when he first started kindergarten. As far as safety issues, we never had any problems with bullying or teasing. We lived close enough to the school that we walked to the playgrounds often and always felt safe.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 PM

365 posts, read 1,078,142 times
My daughter attends Ephesus (5th grade - been there since kindergarten). We love Ephesus, and will be sad when she moves on. There is definitely a small community vibe to the school - the wonderful principal, Mr. Holmes, seems to know all the kids' names, lots of events through the year, lots of walkers, devoted crossing guards posted at important places for drop-off and pick-up. I highly recommend this district. We haven't had experience with Phillips yet, but have heard many great things, and my daughter is excited to start there in the fall.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:20 AM

Thanks, Tootie, that sounds wonderful.

I think we will drive around that area this weekend to check it out. Have been looking at the real estate listings and want to see some of the neighboorhoods like Colony Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary