Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:11 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times

Advertisements

I recently ordered a HD-TV over the internet and it was being sent UPS. I tracked the order and on the day it said out-for-delivery I stayed home knowing they surely wouldn't leave a TV on my doorstep. Well around 4:30pm a UPS truck pulls up and he walks up with my TV. As he was walking away I asked "what would you have done if I wasn't here" ..... "oh I would have just left it at the door" !! I was really surprised and somewhat mad. I had wasted a whole day just waiting for a truck for nothing. I am retired so it wasn't as big a deal as it would have been a few years ago, but a day is a day. Oh and it's not like you couldn't tell what was in the box. It was a company box with a giant picture of a TV on it. I guess I should have called UPS and asked their policy but that in itself would probably have taken a day ... but that's another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
UPS has areas where it is okay to "driver release" and some neighborhoods where signatures are required. It really isn't surprising at all that they choose to leave packages on doorsteps as the hourly wage to pay drivers to continually go back to a home to deliver with a signature outweighs the cost of replacing items. File a claim with UPS and let the PD know just so they have record of what happened in case it starts happening more often in your neighborhood. The previous owners of this house had golf clubs stolen from the open garage and it amazes me how many people leave their garage doors open around here. Crime happens everywhere.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:07 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,109 times
I have had this happen before (I used to live in a neighborhood in California where my car was broken into 4 times in a 2 month period, so it was pretty common. When I asked the UPS guy why they insisted on leaving packages on the front door when they knew the area wasn't very safe, he said that insurance was still cheaper than hiring as many people as would be required to require signatures when delivering.

Anywho, the three times it happened to me (all in one year's time, before I moved away), I just called the company I had purchased from (Amazon, Buy.com, and Newegg.com) and told them I never received the package. They said, no problem and sent out a new package, requiring signatue.

Seems like people could game the system and get two of whatever they order for one price if they just claim to have not received the first package, but whatever. I guess they'd get caught in the long run.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,287 times
I would complain or file a claim to the company you ordered it from as others have stated. Reason being, the delivery service has more to lose if the company goes with another shipping company. If they lose you it won't be a big deal to them, but a major company affects their profits so they have more ground to stand on.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:42 AM

223 posts, read 576,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I received an email from teh Town of Cary today about some thefts in the Lochmere area. Is that near where you are?
We are in NW Cary, where the houses are super close!

Well, whoever stole the package is going to be disappointed as the box contained nursing supplies. Guess they can sell the contents on Ebay/Craigslist, though.

Big crime spree in Cary...maybe they will finally take us off all those "You should move to Cary, NC because....." lists. Just teasing!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
What? Crime in Cary.
Was this really necessary?

Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
The shipper can file a claim with UPS if tracking shows delivery.

UPS insures up to $100 by default and will pay.

Shipper can buy more insurance if item is worth over $100.

The police need not be involved.

Unless you or the shipper put a "driver release" on the shipment, leaving it is at the carrier's risk, not yours.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:15 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

The police need not be involved.
They police should be notified if only to help track the rising level of crime in Cary.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:23 PM

116 posts, read 326,114 times
We had a package delivered to our apartment complex (to the front office), that we never saw. We called Amazon and they replaced it...with no questions asked. I would call the company first and see what they say. They may send you another one, at no charge.

Hope it works out for you

Old 01-12-2010, 02:26 PM

223 posts, read 576,840 times
Thanks everyone. Called the company, and they are re-shipping. No problem.

Just a fluke thing I guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary