U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:32 PM

223 posts, read 502,594 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone in the area has had any issues with UPS/FedEx packages being stolen.

As I drove up the driveway this evening, I noticed a package by the front door. I always enter through the backdoor (garage is attached on the backside of house). A neighbor was outside and I ended up talking to him for 1/2 an hour. When I went to open the front door to retrieve the package, it was gone!

Normally, I would suspect that it was a kid, but the box had "Baby's R Us" written all over it. Not exactly fun stuff.

We've been in this neighborhood almost three years and have never had anything stolen. Not even when there was construction and lots of folks coming and going.

It was pretty brazen as it was around 5:30 so there were a lot of neighbors coming home, getting mail, etc..

Should I file a police report to start a claim? I googled this dilemma, and found conflicting advice. Most advice was to claim that I had never seen the package, while others stated that one should file a report with the local police.

What could the Cary police even do? I talked to several neighbors and no one saw anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:45 PM

76 posts, read 150,036 times
I had this happen to a Nordstrom package that was delivered to my friend in Huntington Beach, CA. I sent her a gift and when I checked the tracking online, it showed that the package had been left on her apartment steps the day before. She said she never saw it. So I called the company and told them this, and they sent another order of the same merchandise, this time with signature required. I didn't have to pay a thing extra.

You might try calling the company you ordered from to see if they have a policy like this.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:54 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,656,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjchris View Post
I had this happen to a Nordstrom package that was delivered to my friend in Huntington Beach, CA. I sent her a gift and when I checked the tracking online, it showed that the package had been left on her apartment steps the day before. She said she never saw it. So I called the company and told them this, and they sent another order of the same merchandise, this time with signature required. I didn't have to pay a thing extra.

You might try calling the company you ordered from to see if they have a policy like this.
Nordstrom is known far and wide for its "the customer is king/queen", so I'm not surprised they would do that. Most places probably won't replace something free that disappeared AFTER being left and documented by the delivery.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 PM

11,791 posts, read 27,436,549 times
Years ago, UPS had you sign for any packages. As time has gone on, it amazes me that they just leave packages on your front door step. I asked the UPS man a while ago if they had any problems with packages being stolen. He said that they have so few stolen that it costs less for them to leave the package and risk it. He also said that they have insurance for that type of thing so it seems that if they left the package and the homeowner didn't get it, it is UPS that has the liability.

Vicki

Old 01-11-2010, 08:16 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,595,894 times
If you ordered something then you know it was taken. If you never saw the address on the package then the delivery person may have returned to retrieve it and take it to the correct home.

It may be in your best interest to file a claim with UPS. UPS will need to know a few things like who ordered the package or do you have a receipt saying it was ordered by someone else that was suppose to be yours as a gift or show them the damaged package.

I use to use UPS and they delivered 3 expensive light fixtures from Italy on using 3 orders to our home and we found them by accident at the side of our front door. They were all damaged. I had a very difficult time with them so I just stopped using them....

Call the Police ASAP and file a report.

Good luck

Old 01-11-2010, 09:43 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,948,206 times
What? Crime in Cary.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:50 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,803,020 times
I received an email from teh Town of Cary today about some thefts in the Lochmere area. Is that near where you are?
Here is the first part of the email:

On Sunday, January 10, the Town of Cary received a report of larceny by an unlocked garage side door in the Lochmere area. The items were taken during the overnight hours from an occupied home. Targeted items included two televisions, multiple purses, wallet, camera, and jewelry. Once inside, the subject(s) overrode the motorized garage door in order to remove the possessions. The family’s two indoor, friendly dogs neither deterred the criminal(s) nor alerted the family to the intrusion.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:10 PM

809 posts, read 1,860,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
What? Crime in Cary.
Oh the stories I could tell.

To the OP, good luck with the Cary Police.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 PM

3,743 posts, read 10,924,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Years ago, UPS had you sign for any packages. As time has gone on, it amazes me that they just leave packages on your front door step. I asked the UPS man a while ago if they had any problems with packages being stolen. He said that they have so few stolen that it costs less for them to leave the package and risk it. He also said that they have insurance for that type of thing so it seems that if they left the package and the homeowner didn't get it, it is UPS that has the liability.

Vicki

I thought the sender can require a signature for delivery, but often doesn't because after three tries UPS/FedEx will ship the item back if the receiver doesn't have an opportunity to sign for it. One reason delivery companies leave those signature slips on your door is so you can sign in absentia, but then you are taking responsibility for it being stolen.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:35 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,810,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
The family’s two indoor, friendly dogs neither deterred the criminal(s) nor alerted the family to the intrusion.
Sadly, that would so be my three dogs.. if a squirrel or cat tried to break in the house they'd be all over it.. but a burglar? Come right in!

That said, I have many (too many!) packages delivered by UPS, and haven't had a problem with theft. I'm sure UPS analyzes potential losses with the time savings of only having to "deliver" a package one time. Another option which I used back in Virginia was to simply have packages delivered to your office instead. Some employers might not like that, but mine didn't mind at all.

To the OP - file a claim with the company you ordered the item from, I'm pretty sure they will handle filing a claim with UPS and replace the item for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary