Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,247 times

Advertisements

I am finding myself in a state that some people have actually told me they are jealous of - laid off (8 mos) and on unemployment. Yes, my options are "endless" because I am single, childless and have now sold my home. But it's not all roses, believe me... Anyway, I want to get away from the hustle bustle of an area where I've struggled for years, barely afforded, where people are moving too fast and generally not friendly like the south. What I'll miss about DC: the multicultural diversity, the arts, the ethnic food!... Would you locals/transplants consider Raleigh/Durham/CH as an area with decent job opportunities as well as a location with a well-rounded quality of life for a single, liberal woman? I question both, but want to make sure before I strike it off my list. Thanks for you help.

Jennifer

P.S. - Just so you don't think I'm a slouch, I worked almost 12 years at the company that laid me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 08:58 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Job opportunities will depend on what it is you are looking for. What type of job are you looking for?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
In general, the employment situation is not good here at all except for those in the medical field.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:50 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I moved here from the DC area in 2006 for many of the reasons you mentioned (and I do miss the ethnic food!). I'm single, mid-40's, no kids, 3 dogs, non-political and non-religious. It's definitely a quieter pace of life than DC, especially when it comes to traffic. Job opportunities will really vary based on what field you are in, and how good your credentials are. With so many people continuing to want to move here, you would be competing with highly qualified candidates. I work in accounting and have a non-traditional background, and it took me 7 months to find my current job. I'm happy here, but then again, after 20+ years in DC I wanted affordable housing, quiet and not crowded (which I got!).

Old 01-12-2010, 07:20 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,109 times
My wife and I moved down here last summer from Alexandria, VA (after 6 years of living in DC and Alexandria). We're also pretty liberal, non-religous people and we don't feel out of place here at all. We're lucky in the respect that, although we lost $100,000 in income when we moved (wife is in school, not working, and I took a $25,000 pay cut), we're still able to live comfortably here. We've cut back on our dinners out, but that's really a good thing (not only does it save us money, but there are less choices here so we don't feel like we're missing out as much). The one thing we do miss is going to good ethnic restaurants. We've found a very good Thai place, but haven't really found decent Indian, Ethiopian, Afghan, Chinese, or sushi yet (we haven't been looking that hard, I admit).

What we do like is the pace down here. Life is definitely slower, almost painfully slow (you'll know what I mean when you see people driving 35 MPH in a 45 MPH zone, just because theyr'e in no hurry). The good thing is that when you walk into a store, and someone asks if they can help you, they don't have an attitude about it and they really mean it. Traffic is also much better. I no longer commute 50 minutes (each way) every day, like I used to in DC, even though I was driving half the distance I drive here.

As for jobs, you'll have to look around. I don't know what field you're in, but it took me 6 months to find my job, and I had to take a pay cut.

Why don't you take a few days and come down and explore the area for yourself?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:53 AM

3 posts, read 4,247 times
For the last few months I have been staying in a friend's house in southern Florida while trying to figure out my next step. (I don't think southern FL is for me... not very friendly at all and difficult to meet people) I need to get some things out of storage (and reduce the storage I have - $$$) so am thinking I will stop again in RDCH again on my drive back up. In the past, the Dixie Flags and gun racks in the back of cars have sort of driven me away when I've visited.

As for work: I've worked for non-profit trade associations since 1994. Did a little bit of everything: bookkeeping, membership management, overseeing IT, office management, program management...

Old 01-12-2010, 03:08 PM

376 posts, read 1,061,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
(you'll know what I mean when you see people driving 35 MPH in a 45 MPH zone, just because theyr'e in no hurry).
I have nor encountered many slow drivers. Quite the contrary. Most here seem to drive in a frenzied way like they're late to catch a plane! 80 mph on the freeway and tailgating you no matter what street you're on. Maybe it's all the Northerners?

Old 01-12-2010, 03:41 PM

I think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
I have nor encountered many slow drivers. Quite the contrary. Most here seem to drive in a frenzied way like they're late to catch a plane! 80 mph on the freeway and tailgating you no matter what street you're on. Maybe it's all the Northerners?

Old 01-12-2010, 03:51 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAHometownAndWork View Post
Dixie Flags and gun racks in the back of cars have sort of driven me away when I've visited.
Not sure where you have visited, but that is not a typical site in the Triangle. It's kind of like thinking everyone in Miami goes to work wearing a bathing suit. At least that is what I think after watching a few seasons of CSI-Miami.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:07 PM

Dixie flags and gun racks? I haven't seen them at all. I've seen them only in SOUTH Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAHometownAndWork View Post
For the last few months I have been staying in a friend's house in southern Florida while trying to figure out my next step. (I don't think southern FL is for me... not very friendly at all and difficult to meet people) I need to get some things out of storage (and reduce the storage I have - $$$) so am thinking I will stop again in RDCH again on my drive back up. In the past, the Dixie Flags and gun racks in the back of cars have sort of driven me away when I've visited.

As for work: I've worked for non-profit trade associations since 1994. Did a little bit of everything: bookkeeping, membership management, overseeing IT, office management, program management...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary