U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,939 times

Advertisements

my best friend and i are pretty set on moving to the triangle area. we are 25 and 27 and assume that durham would be best for us, since there are multiple posts about it being for the 'young and hip'..
we don't want to bring our car.. and we're hoping to bike around.. is this possible?
what area should we move to if we would want to walk/bike to work and extra-curriculars..
also i have tattoos.. which i assume in a city of durham's size, i won't be completely out of place.. and that there might be a community or area of town for me to look for jobs in.. restaurants/clothing stores/record labels?..
we're excited to move, and know that it might be hard to find jobs, but we're just really ready to get out of indiana..
also any advice on what a couple of twenty somethings could do for fun in durham..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:39 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,948,848 times
In short. You will fit in but you will need a car to gain the benifits of what Durham has to offer.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:50 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times
Try Carrboro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImfDX4S75pM

Old 01-11-2010, 09:52 PM

1,840 posts, read 5,126,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
In short. You will fit in but you will need a car to gain the benifits of what Durham has to offer.
Not necessarily. Living without a car is very doable, depending primarily on where you work. Live in the Downtown/Trinity Park/Watts Hillandale/9th street area, and you can walk/bike most of what you'll need, and have access to bus transit for anything else.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:25 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,412,240 times
There are parts of the Triangle (Including Durham) where taking busses and biking will be doable but for the most part if you don't at least have access to a car you may find it difficult to get around for certain things. I Think the Best public transportation is in Carrboro / Chapel Hill, followed by Durahm, and then Raleigh. Still most people have cars becasue the Traingle in general is very spread out.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:53 AM

2,530 posts, read 7,923,930 times
Good advice so far. The most important thing is that without a car you will severely limit your options for employment. Find a job first and move based on where you'll be working.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:44 AM

840 posts, read 3,005,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Good advice so far. The most important thing is that without a car you will severely limit your options for employment. Find a job first and move based on where you'll be working.
Agreed! There are many places of employment well out of the way of public transportation. As a matter of fact, I've seen many job ads that require your own vehicle (no rides by friends). I've done the bus thing before and I wasn't even employed (husband was working out of state). It can be very difficult to get where you need to go. The good thing is there are some bike lanes around in certain areas, but not city wide.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 AM

10,323 posts, read 18,660,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladd&co View Post
my best friend and i are pretty set on moving to the triangle area.
Why is that? Do you have employment lined up?

Quote:
we are 25 and 27 and assume that durham would be best for us, since there are multiple posts about it being for the 'young and hip'..
Durham is like several smaller "cities"; quite different character depending on what part of town you're in. Have you even visited the area? The "young and hip" part is the part near Duke/Ninth St. Actually there is a lot of Durham-bashing on this forum, as well. I would never take the posts on a message board as "gospel" in deciding to move anywhere--you need to see it for yourself before committing.

Quote:
we don't want to bring our car.. and we're hoping to bike around.. is this possible?
You would be limited to a VERY local area in Durham with no car. As someone else said, Carrboro sounds more your style. Again, I suggest coming to look around before becoming "dead set" on moving here (that's the case for anywhere, actually). The Triangle area is NOT known for its public transportation, by and large, though of course the areas near the universities will be better for that.

Quote:
also i have tattoos.. which i assume in a city of durham's size, i won't be completely out of place.. and that there might be a community or area of town for me to look for jobs in.. restaurants/clothing stores/record labels?..
When you say you "have tattoos", do you mean you have many large ones that someone will noticed immediately? Otherwise, I don't think there's much of an issue. Once again, any of the university neighborhoods in Carrboro, parts of Durham, or Chapel Hill wouldn't give you a second glance. But this is the south, and "glaringly visible tattoes" might hinder your job search in some fields. This is why it's recommended to line up a job before moving.

Quote:
we're excited to move, and know that it might be hard to find jobs, but we're just really ready to get out of indiana..
So it's worth being unemployed in a strange city, just to get away from where you are? My advice is (again) to research the area, plan a visit and see if you think you'll like it, and scout for openings in the job fields you seek before deciding for sure to move. It's not the Promised Land, especially on the job front.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:02 PM

56 posts, read 173,683 times
The area around Ninth St. is the way to go for Durham. Bars, restaurants, shops, and close to downtown....which is becoming a hip place to work/live. Search for houses in areas named: Trinity Park, Watts-Hillandale, Old West Durham...these are walking distance or short bus ride to the action.

Moderator cut: No realtor recommendations, per T.O.S. and Craigs list often have listing in these areas for sale and rent.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-13-2010 at 05:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary