U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-12-2010, 08:03 AM
 
494 posts, read 1,194,437 times
Reputation: 347

Advertisements

they said it is the 4th or 8th( forget which) fastest growing town in the US.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
11,796 posts, read 27,466,826 times
Reputation: 8114
And a beautiful town it is!

Congratulations to WF!

Vicki
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2010, 08:06 AM
 
6,185 posts, read 13,855,929 times
Reputation: 4456
That's sad.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2010, 08:08 AM
 
494 posts, read 1,194,437 times
Reputation: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
That's sad.
Why sad?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2010, 08:59 AM
 
Location: NC
2,872 posts, read 4,965,566 times
Reputation: 2082
I like Wake Forest how it is now...I hope it doesn't get bloated!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,323 posts, read 18,682,056 times
Reputation: 11064
The reason it's sad is because places that grow too fast (and being in the top 10 fastest growing ANYTHING is "too fast", unless it's your bank account!) lose the very "charm" that made them desirable in the first place. If Wake Forest becomes another Cary/Apex, then this area has lost a(nother) gem. Loss of natural areas to development, vastly increased traffic, and a huge influx of folks who have no sense of history nor loyalty to the area all work detrimentally to a town's character.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 AM
 
494 posts, read 1,194,437 times
Reputation: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
I like Wake Forest how it is now...I hope it doesn't get bloated!
I don't think it will.The town doesn't hand out permits to quickly.In fact I think we could use a little more retail.just my thought.Rolesville is bloated,and the example of how not to handle growth.The reporter said he beleived that WF and N.Raleigh will be the new heart of the triangle.Oh yeah baby!Perfect for when I list in the spring and high tail it out of here!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2010, 09:13 AM
 
Location: NC
2,872 posts, read 4,965,566 times
Reputation: 2082
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
I don't think it will.The town doesn't hand out permits to quickly.In fact I think we could use a little more retail.just my thought.Rolesville is bloated,and the example of how not to handle growth.The reporter said he beleived that WF and N.Raleigh will be the new heart of the triangle.Oh yeah baby!Perfect for when I list in the spring and high tail it out of here!
But no good for the rest of us who had hoped to maintain a somewhat quiet-ish standard of living a bit further out from the "heart of the Triangle" Oh well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2010, 09:13 AM
 
6,185 posts, read 13,855,929 times
Reputation: 4456
Why? Because a small town isn't a small town if it keeps growing. Remember Cary? It used to be a small town.

I hadn't been to Wake Forest in a while, and I went a few months ago, and I was surprised at how the road off Capital Boulevard, leading to its downtown, was REALLY built up with commercial businesses. It didn't look like a small town anymore. It looked like an extension of Capital Boulevard.

I've always liked Wake Forest. I don't think I'd like it if it continued to boom and turned into a city.

It's the same old story. People move to a place to avoid all the things they don't like in the "big city," but they end up bringing everything with them that they were trying to avoid. It's not done intentionally -- it's just due to the number of people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2010, 09:16 AM
 
494 posts, read 1,194,437 times
Reputation: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The reason it's sad is because places that grow too fast (and being in the top 10 fastest growing ANYTHING is "too fast", unless it's your bank account!) lose the very "charm" that made them desirable in the first place. If Wake Forest becomes another Cary/Apex, then this area has lost a(nother) gem. Loss of natural areas to development, vastly increased traffic, and a huge influx of folks who have no sense of history nor loyalty to the area all work detrimentally to a town's character.
Well I can tell you the town of WF say they are determined not to let that happen.However I'm all for progress,I think if folks are so resistant to change,and modern amenities then the Amish would be a good fit.There getting that land from somewhere,and it may be old Ned selling out his farm.Like it or hate it,this much I know.The wheel keeps on turning!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top