U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 AM

533 posts, read 973,123 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My family and I have recently moved to the Triangle area - Durham specifially. We are homebrewers (well, my husband is mostly, but I help with the tasting portion ), and are looking for a place to buy brewing supplies in the area. Does anyone have any recommendations for us?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM

298 posts, read 1,095,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
Hi all!

My family and I have recently moved to the Triangle area - Durham specifially. We are homebrewers (well, my husband is mostly, but I help with the tasting portion ), and are looking for a place to buy brewing supplies in the area. Does anyone have any recommendations for us?

Thanks!
American Brewmaster - American Brewmaster

I bought some stuff from them and they are very helpful.

There's also BrewMasterStore home page. - The Brewmaster Store in Durham, but I like AB better.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 AM

5,358 posts, read 15,048,880 times
Good recommendations Dave.

I've been a homebrewer for 15 years. May I also put a plug in for the local homebrew clubs. I've been a member of CARBOY (Cary-Apex-Raleigh Brewers of Yore) for 3 years and there is also TRUB (TRiangle Unabashed Brewers) of Durham. Both are lots of fun, but have distinctly different vibes. CARBOY is a little more organized and tend to be more into judging and styles than TRUB. TRUB is a little more free-form and into the social aspect of drinking beer a bit more. CARBOY meets in North Raleigh (Glenwood @ Beltline) on the last Wed of the month.

Welcome to CARBOY! (http://hbd.org/carboy/ - broken link)

TRUB :: TRiangle Unabashed homeBrewers

Old 01-12-2010, 12:21 PM

533 posts, read 973,123 times
Thanks so much to both of you! Another question -- any beer festivals in the area we should make it a point to check out?

Old 01-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
Thanks so much to both of you! Another question -- any beer festivals in the area we should make it a point to check out?
Yes. There are. The office for the beer magazine "All About Beer" is located here in Raleigh and they put on the "World Beer Festival" twice each year. . . . . once in Raleigh and once in Durham.

There are also other great festivals within a few hours drive. One of my favorites is the Charlotte Oktoberfest, which is held. . . . as you would expect. . . . in Charlotte during Oktoberfest

I'm organizing the second "Brew it Forward" for the Lonerider Brewery here in Raleigh, where homebrewers have a chance to brew commercial sized batches of their own recipies. We plan to have a homebrewed beer festival out in the parking lot during the judging going on inside.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:27 AM

I should also add that American Brewmaster holds homebrewing classes for those curious about the hobby. Here is an invitation that I received for their latest.

High Gravity Brewing Class is tonight, Wednesday January 13th at Tir na nOg at 7pm. Call the shop for tickets !

Description: This class will cover everything high gravity: wort aeration, yeast pitching rates, balancing higher alcohol presence in beer, and proper tasting techniques for stronger beers. We will also be enjoying several high octane examples like Double IPA, Russian Imperial Stout, and Belgian Strong ales. Consider a DD for the night! >> Discussion of High Gravity Brewing Techniques such as Aeration, Yeast Health, and Grist Composition >> Strong Beer Tasting >> 20-page Handout of Information >> Coupons to the Pub & Brew shop - Admission is $25.00

The date for the wine tasting is this coming Thursday, January 14th at 6pm until 11pm.
I didn't realize the link wasn't accessible if you don't have a Facebook account - sorry!

RallyPoint Sport Grill in Cary is hosting a wine tasting and is looking for 6 - 12 people to donate wine to a great cause. People bringing wine will get in free. This is a great opportunity to network with fellow winemakers and to share the fruits of your labor for a good cause and a good time. To arrange to bring your wine, contact Drew Schenck at 919-201-5242.

Next week:
Join us for a Jolly Good Time at Tir na nOg Irish Pub in downtown Raleigh at 7pm on January 19th for Appreciating and Brewing English Styles.

This class will explore the rich brewing history of the British Isles and will feature a special guest from Aviator Brewery, Mark Doble. His knows much about cask-conditioned ales as well as the proper way to produce English favorites like ESB and Mild ales.

We will go over all styles that are derived from Britain such as Bitters, Brown ales, and English IPAs. We will also touch upon the history that created these distinct styles and the way current beer culture has affected Britain. The tasting will allow you to reflect on the styles discussed throughout the class.

Class begins at 7pm and tickets are only $25.00

Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 PM

34 posts, read 43,912 times
Check out Fifth Season in Raleigh too - they're pretty knowledgeable and the prices are competitive with American Brewmaster.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 PM

79 posts, read 121,006 times
I've actually found some prices at American Brewmaster a tad better than Fifth Season (bought a carboy carrier at 5th Season not long ago and later saw it for a couple bucks less at AB). Both are cool spots, but AB has some great and very knowledgeable folks there that seem very happy to talk to you about whatever is on your mind - it's a really cool spot. 5th season seems to be just getting into it recently (they also sell plant gear, whereas AB is really for beer/wine making only), so maybe they'll be on the knowledge upswing in time. 5th Season did have a Groupon offer not too long ago - $25 for $50 worth of equipment - that they may repeat, I'd suggest looking out for that!

I second NewUser's mention of Brew It Forward on March 12th. I went last year without knowing a soul, and had an absolute blast! I just wish it was at the Lone Rider brewery again this year.... should still be a good time, though.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoooHooo! View Post
I second NewUser's mention of Brew It Forward on March 12th. I went last year without knowing a soul, and had an absolute blast! I just wish it was at the Lone Rider brewery again this year.... should still be a good time, though.
Speaking of. . . . . . .

The 3rd annual Lonerider Brewery "Brew it Forward" homebrew contest will be held next Saturday, March 12, at Ruckus Pizza in Cary (see link above by WoooHooo!).

It was moved from the brewery this year because they've been expanding the brewery and have run out of entertainment space. There are some great judges again this year. . . .

Julie Johnson (editor of All About Beer magazine)
Mike Dixon (writer for Southern Brew News)
Todd Isbell (brewmaster at Liberty Steakhouse)
Travis Cline (GM at Flying Saucer)
Tim Overcash (owner of Beer Dispensary in Apex)
+ a few certified homebrew judges to round out the judging panel

The event is open to the public.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-04-2011 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Sent you a DM

Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 AM

919 posts, read 2,024,331 times
All About Beer is actually headquartered in Downtown Durham (a few blocks from my house!). You'll often see one of the editors, Daniel Bradford or Julie Johnson, out on the town having a pint at Tyler's, The Federal, or Bull McCabes. They actually had a whole story a few months ago on each staff member's favorite place to catch a pint in Durham.

The Brewmaster store in Durham has changed hands, and is now Bull City Homebrew (Welcome to Bull City Homebrew). The owner of the store, Nate, is very helpful with recipe construction. In the past, their selection hasn't been very good. The store is only about 800 square feet, so it is hard for them to stock a lot. Nate's plan is to move closer to downtown, and also get a larger area so that he can keep more stuff in stock. Hopefully it works out, as I don't like having to drive to get my beer goods.

I'd say that Fifth Season in Carrboro has the same problem with stocking items that Bull City Homebrew does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary