U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:37 PM

212 posts, read 911,694 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately the 2006 and 07 are priced outside of my desired price range.
I filled out some info at AAA let see if they even contact me

Still not sure if about Auction Direct. Doesn't appear anyone can speak from experience of using it
While we are not in a hurry if I get desperate after a few months we may use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 01:42 PM

450 posts, read 1,356,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti04 View Post
Unfortunately the 2006 and 07 are priced outside of my desired price range.
I filled out some info at AAA let see if they even contact me

Still not sure if about Auction Direct. Doesn't appear anyone can speak from experience of using it
While we are not in a hurry if I get desperate after a few months we may use it.
What price range (and mileage) are you looking at? Generally, an 06 w/ around 45,000-50,000 miles will cost you about $20,500 (give or take a few hundred dollars). If you want the navigation system, add another $500-$750.

From looking at Edmunds.com, the price for a private party sale of a TL in good condition (45K miles, black, non-navi) is $18,897. You should expect a $1,500 markup on any dealer-purchased (CPO) car because of the costs to turn it around and the extended warranty they provide.

Again, try looking on Craigslist. You might find a private seller willing to part with his. Also, have you thought about the TSX at all? I drive an 07 TSX and absolutely love it.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:03 PM
T|K

868 posts, read 2,108,551 times
You may want to contact Fast Cash for Cars on Glenwood, they normally have pretty good deals and can find cars for people looking. Quite a few friends have bought from them.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:38 PM

212 posts, read 911,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
What price range (and mileage) are you looking at? Generally, an 06 w/ around 45,000-50,000 miles will cost you about $20,500 (give or take a few hundred dollars). If you want the navigation system, add another $500-$750.

From looking at Edmunds.com, the price for a private party sale of a TL in good condition (45K miles, black, non-navi) is $18,897. You should expect a $1,500 markup on any dealer-purchased (CPO) car because of the costs to turn it around and the extended warranty they provide.

Again, try looking on Craigslist. You might find a private seller willing to part with his. Also, have you thought about the TSX at all? I drive an 07 TSX and absolutely love it.
The 2004 TL can be found under $15K with navigation from both dealers and private party. My budget is 15K or less. Just looking for particular color and with navigiation
We looked at the TSX and opted for The TL due to size, engine size and over all looks

Old 01-12-2010, 05:37 PM

768 posts, read 2,422,881 times
I recently bought an 07 Volvo S80 on Ebay from a guy that is a dealer in Maryland
I flew up via Charlotte and picked the car up and he was telling me that he buys all his vehicles from auctions and could get me a car for my wife when I wanted it, so he can get specific vehicles
If you were interested I could dig out his details and let you have them
LMK via PM
Hope that helps

Oh yes , the car was at least $5k cheaper than anything with much higher mileage from local dealers

Old 01-12-2010, 05:42 PM

869 posts, read 2,600,195 times
Buy and Sell Used Cars, Motorcycles, RVs, Boats and ATVs at TheBigLot.com

This link will work. Just opens up a few more doors.

Auction Direct is so new here, no one I know has even heard of it. In time, it may be king. Carmax just plain sux. I have tried to sell there twice and the people in the showroom are jerks (not the greeters, just the money people). I get the distinct impression they would bend a lead pipe over your head in the back room.

There are resources today like never in history. Seek. Let us help........

Old 01-12-2010, 07:13 PM

1,336 posts, read 2,694,912 times
No direct experience, but two (yes TWO) of my coworkers were singing the praise of Auction Direct. One purchased one off the lot, and the other had them ship one from NY. From what I understand, they are reputable, and both coworkers were very happy with their purchase.

The deal (I assume) with the $300 is just to have "something' to make sure people are serious. If it is totally refundable (CHECK THIS OUT!) then what is the problem. From their perspective, at least if someone puts a refundable deposit on the car, then they have to come and testdrive it. Otherwise, everyone would say "yeah, sure, go get my car" and 80% would not show up. I don't know, it just sounds reasonable to me....

Anyway, you ought to go talk to them, and see what kind of feel you get. My coworkers said they were much better to deal with than Carmax for a number of reasons.

Just passing it along, since you have not really gotten any feedback. I hope this helps.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:30 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,948,206 times
Going to an auction worth going to will be hard unless you know of someone with a dealers license. I have found that when I go to buy a car, look for 2 or 3 comparible models that I like and not be too picky. I save a few thousand each time this way.

You can be picky if it is new b/c you can choose what you do and don't want. If you are looking for a specific car, color, interior, etc. and find it then buy it as long as it is comparible to other car. Price and deal influence me is what I am saying. If you are only interested in a certain car with a specific color, and options then those chances are slim of finding it at a deal.

But keep looking as you never know.

I really wanted a GMC Sierra Denali, but price was KBB price, found a F-150 Lariat at a better price with compariable options and miles but chose to pass. 1 month later on craiglist I found a Dodge Ram with comparible options $5,000. I bought it the same day it was put on craigslist. If anything ever happens I should be able to sell it and at least break even (although it is my business truck so I hope nothing ever happens).

Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 AM

1,841 posts, read 4,093,076 times
Here is a general observation about Acura TLs.

Acura dealers typically resell their lease turn-ins which will be 3 to 4 years old. If those cars are not in your wheelhouse on price, you need to consider that people who BUY Acuras (not LEASE them) new tend to drive their cars for a long time. Someone with a 5 year old TL who has just made their last payment on a 60 month note and is not having any problems with their car doesn't want or need to sell it in this economy. They also don't really like the current TL which may be a very good car but most current TL owners hate the new stying. That's why there are not very many 04-05 TLs in the marketplace to begin with. If you further limit your search by having only one color combo you would consider and requiring the GPS (which only about 35% of 04-05 TLs had as original equipment) your search could be a long one.

You also need to consider that the average driver in the Triangle drives their car at least 15,000 miles per year. That means the average miles on a local 2005 TL will be 75,000 and the average miles on a 2004 will be 90,000. Someone who owns a TL with mileage that is lower than that in the right color combo with a clean carfax and has decided to replace it knows full well that they leave $2500 on the table by trading and they also know that a TL is a hot used car, so if they want to sell it at all they sell it privately with no need to "give it away".
Most used car buyers are looking for that car that is the exception-lower miles than average, better condition than average, full service records, perfect paint and interior. If I owned the kind of TL most buyers are looking for I'd stand in my driveway with my arms firmly crossed if someone lowballed me on it.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:56 AM

271 posts, read 546,728 times
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just wanted to share my experience with Auction Direct, since I just bought a new car this past weekend from them.

I had a fantastic experience buying a car. This was the first "real" car I'd ever bought -- my other vehicles were hand-me downs from my parents. I was a little nervous, but I brought my fiancee with me (he's purchased cars before.) I made an appointment with Auction Direct.

I first visited a couple other car places. I didn't know exactly what car I wanted, just that I wanted either a hatchback or a small SUV, and I wanted low miles. I first went to the honda dealership by Southpoint, and I was completely ignored there. No one greeted me, no one asked me if I needed help...nothing. And this was on a day when there were salespeople wandering around, and if I had found a car I wanted I was willing to put cash down that day. So I was pretty disappointed. Next I went to Hanna's Imports in Raleigh. I don't have anything negative to say about Hanna's; it was a smaller lot but they had a lot of vehicles within my price range, just nothing that I really loved.

From Hanna's, we drove to Auction Direct. I was getting a little discouraged by this point: I had seen dozens and dozens of cars and wasn't even sure what I was looking for anymore. I was hot and sweaty from driving around town in my old car that didn't have AC, and I was ready to call it a day and try again next weekend. But as soon as I walked into Auction Direct, I felt ready to keep looking at cars.

The receptionist greeted us immediately and introduced us to the car salesman who would be assisting us. His name was Mark. Even though my fiancee was with me, he understood that the car was my car and made sure to address his questions to me. I appreciated that fact. He also got me some water, because as I said I was pretty hot and thirsty at this point after being in my horrible stuffy car.

Mark was very patient with me as we walked around the lot. I still wasn't exactly sure what vehicle I wanted, and I pretty much ran back and forth across the lot looking at cars. He pointed out the features of all the ones I was interested in and was very honest regarding aspects that I wasn't interested in. I ended up seeing a Dodge Caliber which I fell in love with. Mark was great throughout the whole experience, directing me through test driving around the neighborhood, answering all my questions in a way I could understand, and never pressuring me to make a decision.

Auction Direct seems to work very similarly to CarMax, in that you don't really negotiate prices. The price on the car is what it sells for. The negotiations were only about how much trade-in I could get for my old car, and I was able to get them to take off certain fees. Overall, I loved my experience and felt very comfortable the whole time. I was very intimidated when I started buying my new car, but by the end I found out that I never needed to be stressed out! I'm just thrilled with my new car and my experience and I wanted to share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary