U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:33 AM

365 posts, read 898,938 times

Advertisements

Absolutely! do not hesitate to call police if you spot suspicious activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 AM

10,757 posts, read 20,243,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post
Good idea - set up a sting. Sting them in the backside as they run screaming like little girls into the night!

It is ridiculous that people work so hard and guys like that just stroll in and take whatever they want. Their luck WILL run out eventually. Unfortunately, in this day & age they or their families would sue the homeowner!

I have this vague recollection about 2 years ago some guy out in the NC countryside repeatedly got robbed and came home one day to find two guys loading his equipment into their truck. Apparently he rammed their truck or something and one of the robbers jumped out & ran & got smooshed (technical term!) between the homeowner's pick-up and the fence & the robber & his family were trying to sue the homeowner for damages!!! Anyone remember that? UNBELIEVABLE! Whatever happened to him?

If it were up to me, the minute if you are caught in the act of committing a crime you lose your right to complain about anything that happens to you because of it.
Well I think the reason they were sued is because the homeowner isn't allowed to use deadly force to stop them from taking your property. Ramming your truck into someone up against a fence can definitely be construed as deadly force...

I'm as big a fan of the castle doctrine as anyone, however I think we really need to stop and think about the ramifications involved when we take the law into our own hands.

Also keep in mind, while NC does have a castle law, the current one as it stands still does not limit the intruders ability to sue. There is a bill that hasn't passed yet (House Bill 1131) that is about as good as it could ever get however it still hasn't passed. Here is some language

Quote:
" 14‑474. Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.
(a) A person who uses force as permitted in G.S. 14‑471, 14‑472, or 14‑473 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in G.S. 14‑470, who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer.

Just keep that in mind before shooting people...

Old 01-14-2010, 12:01 PM

869 posts, read 2,609,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
maybe its time for most in the neighborhood to get out their shot guns. unlock the side garage door and load said shot gun and wait till the moron decides to walk in the unlocked door while said neighbor is sitting in the garage.

Man I am sick and tired of good people living in fear. Take back our neighborhoods. We can and will overcome these scum.
Let's be neighbors. This is how I think too. It's just been too cold in my garage lately.

I can tell you, folks at the other end of Cary have had stuff ripped off from their vehicles recently. It is no secret among some of those affected that there will be serious problems for those who are caught in the act. My neighbor 3 doors down had his garage entered in the middle of the night, stuff stolen but the thief also bothered to pop the trunk and rifle through it too!

Homeowner's kid had garage door opener over the visor in his unlocked car. I bet he doesn't do that again.

That neighbor is armed and I know what he would do. Burglars & thieves, you'd best take note.

But, I doubt you spend any time on CD. You're resting up for tonight's antics.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:18 PM

365 posts, read 898,938 times
Cary police seek help in identifying suspect in Lochmere burglaries:
Cary police probing burglaries seek man on video :: WRAL.com

Old 01-15-2010, 10:05 PM

2,932 posts, read 6,738,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
maybe its time for most in the neighborhood to get out their shot guns. unlock the side garage door and load said shot gun and wait till the moron decides to walk in the unlocked door while said neighbor is sitting in the garage.

Man I am sick and tired of good people living in fear. Take back our neighborhoods. We can and will overcome these scum.
Or we could just shut our garage and lock the entry doors. This isn't the country. Sounds like some of the blame can be put on the owners in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary