U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:25 AM

41 posts, read 96,584 times

Advertisements

I want to plan a trip to the beach this summer in NC, but not sure which one to go to. I live in Raleigh with my 3 young kids. I'd like to go to the beach with the easiest quickest drive, I might want to make serval trips. But I'd like it be a nice place for families. We come from a beach front community in NY, so we are beach people,and kinda miss the sand between our toes. Nothing fancy just a place that we can sit on the beach,swim,boggie board, and walk to. Any suggestions on which beach would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:50 AM

258 posts, read 577,117 times
Best bet in my opinion is Topsail Island for Family. We used to have a place there, but taxes kept going up so ridiculously every year we sold it. No we take the pop up and go to Surf City Campground.

We like it because Topsail is very laid back, more younger kids and families and less Myrtle beach party crowd atmosphere.

The Adults sit on the beach and get slowly and quietly snockered while watching the kids play. Nice and quiet

It's about 2 hours away straight down 40 and then a couple miles north and east...easy to find

Old 01-13-2010, 10:06 AM

9,198 posts, read 21,181,902 times
Are you thinking of day trips or a longer stay at the beach? Each will yield different answers.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:07 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,587,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68scout View Post
Best bet in my opinion is Topsail Island for Family.
Shhhh!!!! You're letting the cat out of the bag and increasing the traffic for us!!!

I grew up near Topsail, use to ride my bike to the beach in the summer back when there was just primarily fishing piers on the island. We visit Topsail the most because my folks live near there. The area is lacking in good places to eat, so as long as you plan to eat at home you'll be fine. Keep in mind the grocery store choices are Food Lion and a tiny IGA. The beach is fabulous there but there isn't much else to do.

My kids and I really like the Pine Knolls Shore / Atlantic Beach area. There is the NC Aquarium and Ft. Macon (which we LOVE). And one of the nearby beach towns has a cool park w/ a pirate ship. There is a little more to do in that area than Topsail. It's a little more crowded, but not as bad as Wrightsville.

Have fun planning your beach trips. And remember leave only your footprints on the beach.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:15 AM

41 posts, read 96,584 times
We are looking for weekend trips, no day trips! Maybe a week here or there and if we love it longer. Maybe even a place to rent for the summer.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:28 AM

163 posts, read 911,507 times
Atlantic Beach area is easy to get to with plenty of hotel space for weekenders. Ft Macon to watch the ships and Marines come'n'go through Beaufort Inlet. Beaufort waterfront and Maritime museum close, NC Aquarium if it rains. Harkers Island for trips to Cape Lookout Lighthouse. Slow family oriented beach environment with more options.
About equal travel time to southern beaches.
Nags Head is only an hour longer trip due to the extensive highway improvements.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:31 AM

932 posts, read 2,733,837 times
Kure Beach is good for day trips. There is an Aquarium at Ft. Fisher and a ferry. My kids love riding the ferry. Plus Ft. Fisher is a great picnic spot. I've brought my kids there on a few day trips. We've stayed at the Golden Sands Motel, I think it's technically in Carolina Beach, but Carolina and Kure border each other. It's nice, clean, ocean front, indoor and outdoor pools, and they have a smoke free tower. I think the closest beach is actually Wrightsville, (right around 2 hours, depending on if you stop) but it always seem crowded to me. Maybe I'm not hitting the right spots. Kure is probably an extra 15 minutes.

We also love Atlantic Beach/Pine Knoll Shore. They have a great Aquarium too. We did a week there last summer and had so much fun. Good beach, good food, little movie theater, and good eats! Happy Beaching!

Old 01-13-2010, 11:32 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,587,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssny View Post
We are looking for weekend trips, no day trips! Maybe a week here or there and if we love it longer. Maybe even a place to rent for the summer.
Weekend trips are hard to manage on Topsail. There are very few hotels, most places are houses, plexes, or condos and usually require a week minimum. There is a Holiday Inn Express right off the island near North Topsail and there is a motel on the South End of the Island (Topsail Beach).

Summer rentals on the island will be steep. Many places rent for a minimum of $1000 a week (condos) and I've seen homes rent for up to $7000 a week.

There are more hotel and motel options on Atlantic Beach & Wrightsville.
For a full summer rental, you might want to consider areas just off the of Topsail Island. Topsail Island's Onslow County Side (North Topsail) has excellent beach accesses. Good parking, bathrooms, concession stands, etc. If you stayed off the Island in Sneads Ferry you might be able to get a place on or near the sound and then just drive the 10 mins to the beach. (10 mins is door to door.) Keep in mind that Sneads Ferry is the sort of place that you will find a million dollar water front home right beside a 50 year old rusty trailer.

I'll send you a pm w/ some realty estate agent info for Topsail. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2010, 02:13 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,335,139 times
Fort Fisher/Kure Beach is the only one (that I know of) that has excellent parking and a restroom on site. (plus a snack bar, showers, an aquarium next door and the fort fisher musuem). You can't go wrong!

Just google the Fort Fisher aquarium. Once you turn on Loggerhead Drive, the parking lot for the public parking for the beach is right there to the left. Its awesome.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:17 PM

809 posts, read 1,863,485 times
Ocean Isle. OMG, it doesn't get any better then that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary