U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:39 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,952,001 times

Advertisements

15 minute commute to Duke from Grove Park. I highly recommend this neighboryhood as I live there and love it. There are other neighborhoods that would serve you well. You have the Brier Creek (actually in Raleigh limits, but much busier shopping area with tons of stuff). Brightleaf (newer community of upper $200k-$400k homes. Neighborhood off of Mineral Springs is nice too.

What are you looking for in a community? The areas I listed above are close to Duke with the "newer" homes (take that as it is) that I would consider safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:39 AM

1,840 posts, read 5,130,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope01 View Post
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I, too, have lived in areas where commuting can be a nightmare (Chicago, Boston and D.C.) and didn't know if the same applied to Durham/RTP. I will be working at Duke and had previously read that the communities west of Durham (e.g. Hillsborough, Mebane, etc.) were easy commutes. I had considered Durham, but, was concerned about safety. Can anyone recommend some safe neighborhoods in Durham with newer or new construction?
I don't know the names of the neighborhoods, but the closest newer and new construction to Duke is in Southwest Durham, along Randolph/Pickett/Garrett Rds, west of 15-501. There's a great older (late 1980's) neighborhood in this area as well called Lochnnora. 3-4 miles to Duke, 6 min commute, 12 min by bike.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:06 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,952,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
I don't know the names of the neighborhoods, but the closest newer and new construction to Duke is in Southwest Durham, along Randolph/Pickett/Garrett Rds, west of 15-501. There's a great older (late 1980's) neighborhood in this area as well called Lochnnora. 3-4 miles to Duke, 6 min commute, 12 min by bike.

No, don't listen to toot68. Come move to my neighborhood. You'll enjoy it. Come, come, please come.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:52 AM

176 posts, read 574,079 times
I live in a very small, new community off from Cole Mill Rd. near Croasdaile Country Club. Very safe and a lovely part of town. It's also convenient to Duke, downtown, restaurants, groceries, Eno River State Park, Duke Forest, etc. My husband rides his bike to Duke every morning (takes him about 20-25 minutes). If he drives, he's there in 6 minutes. Little to no traffic.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:12 AM

331 posts, read 670,020 times
See, there's lots of great, friendly neighborhoods in Durham! I second the Woodcroft suggestion, as it has a wide range of home sizes and prices from condos to townhouses to SFHs (from looking at listings, SFHs here start from the $150s and up). And the shopping options! We're spoiled here.

Good luck to you in your search!

Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM

298 posts, read 1,096,834 times
I work at Duke and live in Durham. We live in the Ravenstone neighborhood on the corner of Sherron Rd and Rt 98. It takes me about 20 minutes to get to work. Very easy drive. Ravenstone is about 4 years old, and we've been living there a year and a half. It's a great place to live.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:54 AM

809 posts, read 2,277,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I live in FV and drive to Durham each day, 23 miles each way. My Commute is 35 minutes.

My commute when I lived in Maryland was 30-35 minutes for 7 miles.

I'm happy with my choice. If you are used to a longer drive it wont be an issue, if you are expecting a 10 minute drive then you should live in Durham.
You think Maryland was bad ... try living in Durham and working in Wilson. NC, a whopping 140 miles per day for approximately 2 years now. It has been tough getting a job in the triangle and I am in IT. My new car has so many miles on it you would think that I had it for a good 5 years now .... bummer.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:09 PM

2,698 posts, read 9,533,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
You think Maryland was bad ... try living in Durham and working in Wilson. NC, a whopping 140 miles per day for approximately 2 years now. It has been tough getting a job in the triangle and I am in IT. My new car has so many miles on it you would think that I had it for a good 5 years now .... bummer.
join the crowd. i live in SW Durham and commute to the west side of Greensboro daily (off Sandy Ridge Rd, exit 208). mine's almost the same distance as yours. my 2009 xB has ~55K miles and counting. heck my wife's 04 Accord only has 45K!

shoulda bought a used vehicle that had already depreciated a bit since i knew this commute would suck, but it was a quick-decision buy after i wrecked my old car and needed new wheels ASAP.

i'd love to land something in RTP, but since the 'R' stands for 'Research' and not 'Manufacturing', there's not a lot for me, either.

Mike

Old 01-17-2010, 07:40 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,844,096 times
Oh please, I live in SW Durham and work in NY. I would love local traffic.

That being said, I love this area. We are right off 54 & 55, minutes from 40 and so close to Southpoint Mall and on my way home I see cows and horses. Doesn't get better than that. In no time we're in Cary, Chapel Hill or downtown Durham. This area is totally safe. We're in Grandale and we have three doctors that commute to Duke on my block. Safety is not an issue here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary