U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 10:58 AM

1,420 posts, read 4,449,533 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a good obedience trainer you would recommend for a basic skills dog training group class? I want the training to incorporate positive/reward based training methods and leadership skills for the owner.

I have a new young dog (maybe 8 months old?) and we need basic obedience training. She's too old for puppy class, but still needs more socialization with other dogs (I just enrolled her in doggie day care to help with this). Optimally, I would like a training class for basic skills including leadership and some socialization.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 11:09 AM

107 posts, read 274,971 times
The town of Cary (dog park) offers dog obediance classes - basic and advance just go the their website and there is a booklet with all the rec classes and programs offered including doggy classes

Old 01-13-2010, 01:11 PM

214 posts, read 886,412 times
I definitely would recommend Sylvie Pleasant with K9 Solutions for the Cary area. She is a very good positive methods based trainer and has been working in the area for years and everyone I've encountered that used her had nothing but great things to say.

K9 Solutions LLC provides professional dog training in the greater Raleigh NC area.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:22 PM

306 posts, read 618,905 times
Although we aren't in Cary, we just finished up with Petsmart--started with beginner (she's an adult rescue dog, so we couldn't do puppy) and finished with advanced. Even did Canine Good Citizen. Positive reward system. We're very happy with the results.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:07 PM

892 posts, read 2,791,617 times
I second Sylvie.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,049,724 times
We also used Sylvie's though the trainer was Robina and she was great.

We were the only older dog in the class (the rest were older puppies) but it didn't matter. It was just a intro obedience class.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:30 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,813,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprofessor View Post
The town of Cary (dog park) offers dog obediance classes - basic and advance just go the their website and there is a booklet with all the rec classes and programs offered including doggy classes
Here's a link to the current class list (which includes dog park info):

http://www.townofcary.org/__shared/assets/dogpark13334.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 AM

462 posts, read 926,813 times
We also used Pet Smart in Cary. We live in Apex but I went there for the teacher - Jackie ( don't have the paper with me for the last name ) she was great. I read about her in the Southwest Wake news about a year ago. Not sure if she is still there. We went for the basic puppy class and it does help give you the tools you need plus it's a great way to socialize you dog. If your dog has never had any classes, you can still take the beginner. It was $109 for 6 weeks - once a week class. If she is still there, go to her classes. She will always help with a problem you have and offers a lot of good tips/advice.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 AM

447 posts, read 1,323,224 times
Sylvie's K9 Solutions is great. They're offered at locations all over the triangle - Morrisville, Cary, Raleigh, etc. I have taken a lot of her group classes with my dogs from Basic Training to Advanced Manners. Here's the link to the schedule of classes. Scroll down and click on "Schedule, Fees, Application". K9 Solutions LLC provides professional dog obedience training in the greater Raleigh NC area. (http://www.nck9solutions.com/PRO.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary