U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2010, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 748 times
Default looking for new home far from indiana

I just retired on disability, am 54, and have lived in indianapolis all my life. I hate indianapolis, and i'm tired of indiana winters. I'm looking for a warmer-in-the-winter-less-trifling place to move to with my pets. Not in a big city, preferably more towards the countryside. I've been looking at North Carolina, Louisiana, and Washington State. Is there anywhere out there where people still know how to act in public? Or is it all rudeness and thuglife everywhere? Sick, sick, sick of it. I don't care about nightlife, entertainment, fine restaraunts or any of that bushwa. Woods, fields, small towns, quiet, streams and rivers that aren't too polluted to fish in. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thank You, susan,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:21 PM

3,190 posts, read 5,846,803 times
The fact that you say you're disabled is a red flag to me. Does that need to be taken into consideration for anything?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:30 PM

6,061 posts, read 9,026,321 times
South Carolina is warmer and has lots of rural areas.

I have never in my life seen the word "bushwa," but I looked it up, and it's a real word. I like it. I'll be using it. Thank you.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 PM
jgb

425 posts, read 669,645 times
Not to meaning to make a sweeping generalization, but here it goes:

One difference between the more rural areas down here versus up there is that the poverty is more concentrated in the rural areas in the South, whereas up North, it's more in the inner cities. (OK, I know there are examples where isn't the case but let me continue).

In Indiana, most rural areas are very safe and clean. That's not so much true here. You should come visit and get a feel for things.

I love it here. And there are some very lovely rural areas. I would much rather live in NC than IN or IL or the NE. I'm not bashing the rural areas but if someone comes down here thinking it's going to be Lancaster County, PA with horse and buggies and all, that's not what it's like.

But I say come down -- the weather is great!

Old 01-14-2010, 07:51 AM

207 posts, read 404,807 times
I have to agree with jgb.

Im with you that Indianapolis is not such a great place, but if you are looking for "countryside....where people still know how to act in public? Or is it all rudeness and thuglife everywhere?", I think NC will generally compare pretty poorly with your average small town in IN, although there are always exceptions.

Sure IN is colder than here, but if you want to find freindly, clean small towns and plenty of countryside you should just consider moving an hour south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary