U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:30 PM

932 posts, read 2,731,268 times

Advertisements

No matter what date the WCPSS chooses, someone's kid is going to miss it my 1 day, or 6. They can't make exceptions to the rules. If they did they would have to do it for everyone.

I'm with lamishra regarding the testing. It is very difficult. I looked into it for my son before he started kindergarten and decided that he probably wouldn't test at the appropiate level...He could have easily met the beginning of 2nd grade, but not the end of 2nd grade. There's a lot you learn between kindergarten and the end of 2nd grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 01:45 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,810,162 times
A cut off is a cut off. Your child either meets it or they don't OR they meet the early entrance criteria or they don't. It doesn't matter if you "just moved here". WCPSS classrooms are already too large and WCPSS just lost their request to allow larger classrooms, so now they have to figure out what to do with the overage of children who are DO meet the cut off and are already in the system.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:49 PM

426 posts, read 1,317,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
No matter what date the WCPSS chooses, someone's kid is going to miss it my 1 day, or 6. They can't make exceptions to the rules. If they did they would have to do it for everyone.
ITA

Like a pp suggested, unless your son is very far advanced (2 grades up +), Id seriously consider option 3.

My DS is in Kindergarten. Year round schedule, he started July 2009. WCPSS cut off changed to August 31st for 2009, prior to that it was October 16th. My DS has a mid October bday and actually was eligible to go to K in July 2008. My Dh and I are SO glad that we opted for a 4 year old program at one of the church based preschools (not daycare, just 3.5 hrs per day) vs K. We felt our DS wasnt ready socially and we'd rather he'd be the oldest than the youngest in class (btw - he is not the oldest, there were other parents who held their kids back as well).

I dont have experience with the early entry testing but from what Ive gathered through threads like these, its 1) expensive and 2) EXTREMELY strict/hard to get an exception.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:01 PM

189 posts, read 439,666 times
We experienced the same issue couple of years ago with my son.
He missed the cutoff by a week, and was academically ahead of his peers.
We talked to many people, parents, teachers and doctors, and chose to wait a year and instead sent him to a Transitional KG program.
We are very happy with our decision.

Wake County KG program is a full day program, and I have seen many younger kids (who squeaked in by the deadline) having a difficult time, and recommended by teachers to repeat KG. These are 'smart' kids , but just not yet ready.
Don't worry about your kid being bored if you wait another year, as many teachers provide differentiated education at Wake county schools.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:04 PM

41 posts, read 96,474 times
It doesn't have anything to do with "just moving here" I don't think I should get special treatment, it has to do with my son has already done 2 years in a school classroom. I don't understand why there is a cut off date at all it should be the year the child is born up to dec.31st. And the parent should be able to decide to hold their child back if they think its needed. Really who knows their child better than their parents. It makes no sense. Can someone show me any proof or any studies done that say a child born between sept.1 and dec.31st are not able to learn as quickly or not as ready. I think we all know that children are sponges and if given the chance they will flourish. Can someone please explain than the reason for the cutoff date?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:35 PM

426 posts, read 1,317,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssny View Post
It doesn't have anything to do with "just moving here" I don't think I should get special treatment, it has to do with my son has already done 2 years in a school classroom. I don't understand why there is a cut off date at all it should be the year the child is born up to dec.31st. And the parent should be able to decide to hold their child back if they think its needed. Really who knows their child better than their parents. It makes no sense. Can someone show me any proof or any studies done that say a child born between sept.1 and dec.31st are not able to learn as quickly or not as ready. I think we all know that children are sponges and if given the chance they will flourish. Can someone please explain than the reason for the cutoff date?
Move the cut off to December 31st and parents of kids born Jan 1st will complain. IMO a December 31st cut off isnt feasible with year round schools since the new year starts the first week in July. That would leave terribly young Kindergarteners and probably increase the number of children who repeats K.

Quote:
For my son he will not be academically challenged next year as he will be learning the same stuff other than what I teach him
There's always private school. They might be a bit more lax re cut offs. How about homeschooling?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:50 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,810,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssny View Post
Our schools simply cannot accomodate that many children and have made a deision to keep 4 year olds out of KG. Our KG teacher was thrilled that 4 year olds would not be in KG anymore as she said she had too large of an age range in her class (anwhere from age 4 to age 7, since KG is not required in the state of NC) which made teaching VERY difficult. There just IS.NOT.ROOM.for everyone. Hence, a cutoff is necessary.
You can always home school, private school or move somewhere else that allows people more choice of start dates.
Does anyone know of a large school district that doesn't have a cut off?

Last edited by lamishra; 01-14-2010 at 03:32 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,568 times
I have 3 children, and my youngest will be one of the older ones in his kindergarten class next year with a Nov. 29th birthday. My other 2 both have later birthdays (June and July). One did well socially and one has struggled. I think that it is different for each individual child, but I have also noticed that with each of my children's classes the older children were more well adjusted and tended to do better than the younger ones. I don't know of any studies and don't have any data other than my own observations for the last 6 years with my other kids in school. My wife and I entertained the notion of putting our youngest child into a private school for him to do Kindergarten this year, but ultimately decided that he would be better off starting next year. No one can tell another parent that their child isn't ready, but we can tell you our experiences and observations and you can take them for what they are worth to you. Good luck in your decision.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:57 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,703,354 times
I have 2 sons (late summer bds) who we both kept back and never regretted it once (they are now 17 and 26)..to the contrary, we have become a voice for why parents should do it, especially boys and we've lost count of how many parents have told us they wish they had.....

And ask any teacher who works with younger classes and I bet they will tell you they can often pick out which kindergarteners are young by their behavior 99% of the time. And often, that definition remains constant throughout their school years.....

Good luck in your decision; it isn't easy, I know but think long term......more mature never is bad, anytime in life!

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 01-14-2010 at 03:14 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 03:06 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,664,326 times
As a September baby, I say go on and take the test IF you think he will be ready socially and will not be bothered by always be among the youngest in his class. It would mean he won't get his license until 11th grade while everyone else starts getting them in 10th (and therefore his prospects at summer jobs that summer between 10-11 will be hindered). It rarely came into play for me EXCEPT the driving issue, but then again, in my day, the cutoff was Oct 15 so there were plenty of people in my same boat and even a month younger than me. He would be truly one of the VERY few with Sept birthdays in his class--but that might be just fine. You might consider things such as whether he is short for his age (if so, better to wait), etc.

Of course there has to be a cutoff but also there is no reason to make someone spend another year in Kindergarten if they are ready to be in 1st grade. A private school would be the option there (Durham Academy is the obvious one in SW Durham, but also very expensive, I believe.) Think of it essentially as "skipping a grade" and there are always socail considerations about doing that, too.

Ironically, September is said to be the month with the highest birthrate (must be related to all of those Christmas parties 9 months earlier ), so if that is true, then they've made a decision that cuases the worst number of "on the fence" kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or