U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:52 AM

4,598 posts, read 8,653,146 times

Advertisements

That's when I would ask for their name and badge number and escalate it the situation further!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 12:47 PM

75 posts, read 166,273 times
I called the police non emergency number a few days ago about a situation and the officer said (paraphrased but pretty darn close) "I don't have a personal interest in the situation...".

I would have asked "Do you have a personal interest in keeping your job?", asked for name and badge number and then asked to speak to the highest ranking person on duty. I would also follow up with the highest ranking person period.

It's very important to let any and everyone in the vicinity know what's going on. I would always appreciate a heads up if this were going on in my neighborhood.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:48 PM

809 posts, read 1,865,162 times
I know. You all are right. When you call the non-emergency number it's a recorded message with "If this is an emergency please hang up and call 911, (followed by the same message in Spanish). Then it goes to say Press 1 if you blah blah blah...press 2 if you blah blah blah...press 3..press 4 blah blah blah.

It took me 3 times to figure out the right extension (I was a bit rattled). Each other number I pushed said the________is currently closed. Please call back during regular business hours.

I think they record those calls, and I have the date and time I called so I might just call and ask for someone higher up to take a listen.

Meanwhile, I'd like to start a neighborhood watch but I would need people that actually live here help me.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:58 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,523,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
tonnie,

I sent you a direct message/personal message. Please check your inbox.

I am currently staying at my relatives home because of strange activity they related to me. And yes, I have noticed several things that don't seem quite right.

I called the police non emergency number a few days ago about a situation and the officer said (paraphrased but pretty darn close) "I don't have a personal interest in the situation...".

Lovely.

Here I've been ragging on the Wake Forest Police and now this is the response I get from a Raleigh Officer?
I'm the community watch captain in my community.

Never received a stupid response like that from RPD with a report of suspicious activity.

Sometimes response was slow if officers had more serious situations to handle.

We also have a private security firm to handle small matters.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:55 PM

After much thought, I decided to be proactive instead of reactive. So, I called the non emergency number back.

I talked to a VERY, VERY, nice officer, who renewed my faith in the RPD. He gave me two numbers to call to start the ball rolling for a Community Watch in Lakemont. I will call them tomorrow as it's nearly 5 pm.

Anyone who is from Lakemont or knows somebody who lives in the subdivision I would appreciate this information being passed along.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and encouragement.

Second Right

Old 08-09-2012, 06:44 PM

Default Another house broken into in the Lakemont Subdivision

Apparently this happened this past weekend in the late hours of night/early hours of morning (dark). Dartmouth Road. I have specifics but feel it best not to post for the safety of the victim.

Once again, a white van work type van was seen cruising the area for up to a week before incident occurred.

As redundant as this is, please, please be aware of strange vehicles and your neighbors well being. Write down a license plate..try and get a description of driver/passenger.

Please, PLEASE keep alert and aware. Call the police if you have ANY concerns.

Thanks,

Second Right

Old 08-10-2012, 07:02 PM

143 posts, read 312,308 times
I subscribe to SpotCrime daily alerts that gives me information on these types of reported activities within a radius of my house. I've been able to help spread the word to neighborhoods near me that had multiple day time burglaries, and keep track of crimes all around my home.

SpotCrime Crime Map

They send an email with a map and a list of where the incidents occurred, what type of crime, what time, and a link to more information (sheriff's page, etc). If you want to know what is going on around you, sign up! It's free and it increases awareness. Hope this helps - everybody be safe! Lock your cars, check your windows and back doors, trim your hedges and bushes so there are less hidey spots, and help your neighbors by paying attention. If you see something odd, recognize your instincts and call it in. So what if you're wrong-- honest mistake. But what if you're right? I'm reading Gavin de Becker's book Protecting the Gift, and one thing he emphasizes is trust your instincts! If it seems off, it probably is.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh27612 View Post
I subscribe to SpotCrime daily alerts that gives me information on these types of reported activities within a radius of my house. I've been able to help spread the word to neighborhoods near me that had multiple day time burglaries, and keep track of crimes all around my home.

SpotCrime Crime Map

They send an email with a map and a list of where the incidents occurred, what type of crime, what time, and a link to more information (sheriff's page, etc). If you want to know what is going on around you, sign up! It's free and it increases awareness. Hope this helps - everybody be safe! Lock your cars, check your windows and back doors, trim your hedges and bushes so there are less hidey spots, and help your neighbors by paying attention. If you see something odd, recognize your instincts and call it in. So what if you're wrong-- honest mistake. But what if you're right? I'm reading Gavin de Becker's book Protecting the Gift, and one thing he emphasizes is trust your instincts! If it seems off, it probably is.
I also subscribe to SpotCrime and I think it's a wonderful suggestion for everyone.

Above said, the town I live in, does not release a complete list of criminal activity (I do not live in Raleigh) and therefore sites like spotcrime (and others I subscribe to) do not always reflect accurately.

Gavin de Becker's book "Protecting the Gift" sounds like a great read. Again, a wonderful suggestion to everyone.

Thanks,

second right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary