U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,270 times

Advertisements

Hello there, we are in the process of purchasing some land to build a house on...18 acres...and no worries about finding an acceptable (perked, etc.)spot on the land.

We want a farmhouse type home and not a whole lot of ornate details on the inside. I am trying to find a builder that will build a good, quality house, but without all the details (coffered ceilings, moulding, wainscoting, built-ins). I have talked to a few, but their quote per sq. ft. is higher than I would think for just walls and such. My husband and I are very handy and would like to do a lot of the details (moulding, wainscoting, built-ins, etc.) ourselves once we move in. So that being said, any recommendations on builders?

Also, I grew up in Michigan with basements and I have read mixed reviews about them in this area. We would just want a walkout unfinished basement covering maybe half the footprint of the house (600sf)? Any idea on cost per square foot? Same question for an unfinished bonus (400sf)?

We have four young kids (under 6) and don't need the room of the basement and bonus today, but will in the future.

Also, any architect recommendations that are fairly priced? I have a plan in mind, just need to move a few things around.

Any thoughts would be fabulous? And any advice on this overwhelming process would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 02:13 PM

10,706 posts, read 20,126,250 times
My in-laws built their home in Canada and a beautiful oak log home in northern NH themselves acting as the general contractor. In NC I believe it is legal to do so as well. Might want to investigate that route. It saved them a ton of money and they were able to keep up on the subs and produced a really nice house with exceptional energy savings due to increased standards. A builder will just build to code, doing it yourself you can mandate and see that it's done to a much higher level.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:15 PM

712 posts, read 3,708,928 times
If you're handy like you say, and you're going to be doing some/most of the finish work yourself, why are you trying to use a builder instead of hiring the sub-contractors yourself? Acting as your own general contractor is how you save money building a house... of course this is not for everyone but you seem like you know what you're doing, maybe you could handle that. Have you thought about it?

By the way, what quotes per sqft are you getting?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,270 times
I suppose I could be my own general contractor! Hadn't thought of that. Hmm..I am being quoted $150 and up. Although with four kids, it probably isn't realistic.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:29 PM

2,872 posts, read 4,962,455 times
About :: Joseph Grantham Custom Homes, Inc. 8008 Hawkshead Lane, Wake Forest, NC 27587, 919-554-1212 (http://countrysidepreview.com/grantham/about.html - broken link)

Joseph just did our basement (1000 square feet of newly finished space) and our tiled/covered porch/patio (another 450 square feet) and did a fab job. Best contractor I have ever used. On time, reliable, honest, trustworthy. I can't begin to say enough good things about him. Several friends have started projects with him recently based on my experience. He will do as much or as little as you want, I'm sure. Contact him and get him to quote it out for you.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:43 PM

345 posts, read 909,721 times
http://www.design-tech.com/index.php

I don't work for them, or get any kickbacks...just very familiar with their work, and they have a lot of info (including pricing) on their website. Even if you don't use them, it will give you an idea of what you're looking at price wise. They do modifications of stock plans (see pricing page). I've had them draw a set for me, and all I did was draw bubbles on a page, indicating where I wanted my rooms, then told him what type of feel I was looking for. He was right on target with the plan.

They might also be a source of builders that might be a good fit for you, since he works closely with several in this area...any good archictect should be able to do that for you.

You can also check out the NC Home Builders Association web page, for links of contractors and builders in your specific area:

http://www.nchba.com/

The Raleigh/Wake County Home Builders Association website is here for similar info:

http://www.hbawake.com/

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary