U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 PM

1,832 posts, read 4,456,196 times

Advertisements

I wanted to bump this up and ask if builders are still negotiating some years later. There are precious few new home developments around and even less resale inventory, so I wonder if builders know they can get asking and won't negotiate any more. We got a great deal in 2008--it seemed great then but in reality it just means we haven't dropped in value in almost 5 years. Now that we are pondering our next move, I wonder if builders *need* to negotiate. Our realtor came over the other night and told us that due to low inventory, when a house in great condition that is priced right hits the market, it goes very fast. Tis makes me nervous as a buyer bc if our house sells fast and there is nothing we really see as suitable on the resale market, what happens to us? S we were thinking new build even though I swore never again, because it seems like we might have more time. Thoughts?

Oh-- we are looking t Bella Casa in Apex and the new Lennar Fryar's Gate coming this spring. our ideal situation would be to get them to throw in upgrades, not to come down in price.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 PM

5,702 posts, read 8,139,182 times
Everything is negotiable - it really is... but that and a smile gets you a smile back. A local agent would help you with this - get a good buyer's agent as it will cost you nothing extra.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,698,831 times
Read any contract you sign!! A buyers agent gace me a contract that included me paying his office 250.00.They didnt hide when questioned.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 AM

2,936 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
I wanted to bump this up and ask if builders are still negotiating some years later. There are precious few new home developments around and even less resale inventory, so I wonder if builders know they can get asking and won't negotiate any more. We got a great deal in 2008--it seemed great then but in reality it just means we haven't dropped in value in almost 5 years. Now that we are pondering our next move, I wonder if builders *need* to negotiate. Our realtor came over the other night and told us that due to low inventory, when a house in great condition that is priced right hits the market, it goes very fast. Tis makes me nervous as a buyer bc if our house sells fast and there is nothing we really see as suitable on the resale market, what happens to us? S we were thinking new build even though I swore never again, because it seems like we might have more time. Thoughts?

Oh-- we are looking t Bella Casa in Apex and the new Lennar Fryar's Gate coming this spring. our ideal situation would be to get them to throw in upgrades, not to come down in price.
Funny you mention this, because we were/are in the exact same situation. We put a deposit on new construction in early December. We were literally the last buyers there to get the discount on upgrades. The builder was offering up $12,000 off in upgrades and are agent tried to push them to $15,000, but they said $13,000 and nothing more. The on-site agent told us that they were stopping their incentive program that weekend. Sure enough I went back that weekend and overheard here telling some people that stopped by that there are no incentives on the homes now. New homes in desirable areas are selling fast.

We didn't want to put our house on the market too early, but we didn't want to wait too long either, since our new house was projected to close in Late April. So we put our house on the market in NW Raleigh (Leesville area) on January 7th and we had so much traffic is was crazy. We got two contract offers by that weekend and we took the first. We're scheduled to close in late February and we're getting a free rent back for 45 days!

So YES the market is moving right now and I can attest to that on both ends. Just have your current home ready to really shine. From my understanding, builders are not negotiating much if anything right now in the desirable areas of the Triangle. That could change if the economy takes another dip or if interest rates rise substantially, but right now in my opinion it's pretty much a sellers market for builders and at least a neutral market for re-sale.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:13 AM

31,614 posts, read 55,335,524 times
We are trending into a sellers' market, and builders know that. And builders are sellers....

I showed a home yesterday that had EIGHT other showings, plus had a slow drive-by while we were there.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 AM

242 posts, read 497,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Anything is negotiable.

If you are good at negotiating, great, but I would encourage you to find your own representation in the form of a buyers agent. The "agent with the community" works for the builder. They do not represent you, or your interests.

Good Luck!
This, exactly!!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 AM

1,832 posts, read 4,456,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincesses View Post
This, exactly!!
Yes....we do have a realtor, same one we had helping us buy our current home, and she is a real pro. I don't enjoy negotiating on my own and would never buy/sell on my own!

Thanks for the info. We may wait this out. It makes me nervous that we could end up selling and not having a house to move into!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:57 AM

5,702 posts, read 8,139,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We are trending into a sellers' market, and builders know that. And builders are sellers....

I showed a home yesterday that had EIGHT other showings, plus had a slow drive-by while we were there.
It's crazy Mike... I just posted something along these lines in the Charlotte forum. I've noticed a serious uptick in relo threads - in both our metros. NC IS HAWT!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM

11,792 posts, read 27,450,680 times
I recently took clients out to look at a home that was priced at $539,000. Mr. Buyer was very interested. Mrs. Buyer wasn't. It was a new inventory home. Onsite agent told me that they had an offer but it was low. I told her if we made an offer, it was not going to be full price. She said...builder is only accepting full price! We laughed. She then called me later to tell me that builder would take $5,000 off price if my clients were interested but they weren't. She emailed me the next day to say that first offer was negotiated and they are now under contract. This was in Apex.

Vicki

Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 AM

377 posts, read 674,120 times
Most the the major tract builders have incentive packages on inventory homes, or comps on upgrades if you want to build.

Lennar, Standard Pacific, MI, etc. Most of the on site agents are pretty aggressive with sales and offers. They want to sell homes and get people in.

I bought with Lennar last Feb, and they were pretty aggressive with programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary