U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:05 PM

840 posts, read 3,008,919 times

Advertisements

Have you considered homeschooling? I don't know your whole situation, but I share some of those same ideals for my children and homeschooling my kids helps to keep those outside influences minimized somewhat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 PM

192 posts, read 522,120 times
Quote:
Hi everyone I am new to this and I'm not sure how it works, but here I go. I am a single mom with four children I want to move to a place that has a slower place. A place that allows you to raise your children with old-fashioned values. I have children that fish go frog and turtle catching, they don't watch TV much and they love the outdoors. I have been able to keep them pretty innocent and would love to move them somewhere that I can continue to instil the values that are importaint to me. Here in NJ the children all have cell phones in 2nd and 3rd grade they watch adult movies and have a more advanced adult attitude at a young age. Am I wrong for wanting to keep my children young until they are ready for these things? To want to raise them like a lot of us were raised? If anyone out there knows of a place where I could move where folks still have old fashioned values like mine please let me know. I am looking to move this summer or late spring, and any information would be helpful. Thanks
I was raised in NJ and lived there for the first 20 years of my life and have always been outdoorsy, went fishing, camping, all kinds of stuff. i wasnt raised BY a tv or even had the option to watch that much....it had nothing to do with where i lived, but how my family raised me. i dont think that you moving down south is going to be a quick-fix. what would you do if you uprooted your kids from where theyre used to, move down here, and the picture you had painted in your head, is nothing like reality?

i didnt have a cellphone until i was in middle school...and whats this about kids watching adult movies? geez! maybe you live in a bad part of NJ, but i was NOT raised like that at all....i lived in South Jersey, a very nice area (not wealthy, but just family oriented and SAFE) and was never exposed to kids like that (cellphones, adult movies, etc etc). Even me babysitting in NJ up until I moved here 3 years ago, the kids I watched were wholesome, genuinely sweet kids...not corrupted by what society and technology has turned a lot of people into.

I love living in NC....theres lots here to offer, though I would not move my family here, or any other state for that matter, for a quick fix in life....because it doesn't exist.

If you decide to move, though, I suggest saving up some money until you find a job, or lining up a job before you move down here. It is VERY difficult to get approved for unemployment, and the amount they give you is not really enough to get by, especially with 4 kids.

Either way, good luck with whatever decision you make!

Old 01-17-2010, 09:55 PM

5 posts, read 6,633 times
Hi everyone I thank you all for your helpful comments. I am going to look into the GA area also. I'm not stuck on just NC, but I would like to be close to my daughter who is moving there. I only have three school age children and the helpful information on the schools is appreciated. On living a slower pace in NJ this is true we do have lovely areas, but the cost of living is too high. NJ was voted highest in taxes and one of the highest cost of living states. After 9-11 many people from NY moved here and raised our housing costs thru the roof, so I understand the whole transplant thing. I will keep looking and I am open to all and any suggestions. Thank you all so much

Old 01-17-2010, 10:04 PM

5 posts, read 6,633 times
I have to clear up the adult movie thing, I am really sorry about the wording. When I wrote adult movies I meant anything above the age intended. My son is 9 and isn't allowed to watch PG-13, I know kids his age who are allowed to watch R rated. I did not mean to suggest adult movies as in sex. Again sorry for the misunderstanding. As to the reply, "about a picture in my head" I want you to know home is where your family is and you make whatever life you want no matter where you live. I want a place I can afford that offers a more rural setting and familys who think more like I do about raising children. Sorry I can't find that in NJ but thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM

7,696 posts, read 12,858,812 times
Housing and cost of living is higher in Raleigh and Chapel Hill than
other places in NC

Another plus for the Ga small towns is that the same amount of money buys a lot more house.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:32 PM

192 posts, read 522,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Another plus for the Ga small towns is that the same amount of money buys a lot more house.

But, you have to factor in how much money you'll be able to make in GA. If you made the same amount of money in NC or NJ as you did in GA for the same job, but could buy a house twice as big in GA, then wouldnt everyone be rushing to live in GA? So I'm assuming you'd make less money down south...but hey, if I'm wrong, then I'm living in the wrong state! hah kidding. I love it here.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 PM

7,696 posts, read 12,858,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey86 View Post
But, you have to factor in how much money you'll be able to make in GA. If you made the same amount of money in NC or NJ as you did in GA for the same job, but could buy a house twice as big in GA, then wouldnt everyone be rushing to live in GA? So I'm assuming you'd make less money down south...but hey, if I'm wrong, then I'm living in the wrong state! hah kidding. I love it here.
True, but the OP said she was not going to be looking for employment
due to a disability.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 PM

5 posts, read 5,446 times
The Raleigh/Cary/Apex area is great and very family-friendly. I moved here about 12 years ago from New England before I had my 3 children. I've lived in other parts of the country and never found a better place than here to raise a family. There is a slower pace than the north and lots of outdoor park and rec. activities. I am very happy that I moved here and have no plans to ever move back. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary