U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 PM

5 posts, read 6,621 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I am new to this and I'm not sure how it works, but here I go. I am a single mom with four children I want to move to a place that has a slower place. A place that allows you to raise your children with old-fashioned values. I have children that fish go frog and turtle catching, they don't watch TV much and they love the outdoors. I have been able to keep them pretty innocent and would love to move them somewhere that I can continue to instil the values that are importaint to me. Here in NJ the children all have cell phones in 2nd and 3rd grade they watch adult movies and have a more advanced adult attitude at a young age. Am I wrong for wanting to keep my children young until they are ready for these things? To want to raise them like a lot of us were raised? If anyone out there knows of a place where I could move where folks still have old fashioned values like mine please let me know. I am looking to move this summer or late spring, and any information would be helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 10:02 PM

809 posts, read 1,861,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muthermadnes4 View Post
Hi everyone I am new to this and I'm not sure how it works, but here I go. I am a single mom with four children I want to move to a place that has a slower place. A place that allows you to raise your children with old-fashioned values. I have children that fish go frog and turtle catching, they don't watch TV much and they love the outdoors. I have been able to keep them pretty innocent and would love to move them somewhere that I can continue to instil the values that are importaint to me. Here in NJ the children all have cell phones in 2nd and 3rd grade they watch adult movies and have a more advanced adult attitude at a young age. Am I wrong for wanting to keep my children young until they are ready for these things? To want to raise them like a lot of us were raised? If anyone out there knows of a place where I could move where folks still have old fashioned values like mine please let me know. I am looking to move this summer or late spring, and any information would be helpful. Thanks
Hi! I moved down to Raleigh from New Jersey (North Bergen County and then Jersey Shore..Long Branch area) back when my children were just starting school. This was 20 years ago and mostly for the same reasons you have (minus the cellphones/adult movies).

My children of course are now grown but what intrigued me is my thoughts as I read your post. I have not been back to NJ since I drove out back in 1990 but I certainly remember there being a HUGE difference here and I wonder if that still holds true. At first, it was hard for me as a single mom but always great for my kids.

I have wonderful, absolutely wonderful memories of New Jersey and just as many wonderful memories here. Hopefully others will be able to share more recent experiences but where ever you decided to call home, may you have love, happiness and peace.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:10 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,668,197 times
Since you posted this under the specific area of Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, you must have some reason; what drew you to consider here? What field do you work in and do you have a job you can transfer with? Unemployment is high here.

Quote:

Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 PM

Thank you for your sweet wishes I hope I find these things also. I don't want anyone to get the idea that I hate NJ I love all this state has to offer as far as the outdoors is concerned. I just see so many young children moving so fast, growning up before their time. I just want to raise my children in a place that appreciates childhood. Growing up has to happen but I don't think it should be a race to get there. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 PM

I was doing research on the best places to raise children in the US and Chapel hill was listed, that's way I posted under this area. I am disabled so employment isn't an option for me. How are the schools in your area? Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:02 AM

462 posts, read 926,941 times
We moved from NJ 5 years ago and love it! Life here is at a slower pace and very kid/family friendly but you will still have kids who are trying to keep up with the Jones no matter where you go. To me, ( which you have already done ) it starts at home. What you as a parent expect and instill in your kids.
Chapel Hill is really nice and I heard has great schools but housing is pricey. We live in Apex and so far has been great! We also have year round schools as well as traditional. I love the year round ( you are in for 9 weeks and off for 3 ) but others prefer traditional. Weather is great, mild winters ( except this one...lol it's been colder than usual ) with little to no snow. Feel free to ask if you need more information.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:07 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,420,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishellina View Post
you will still have kids who are trying to keep up with the Jones no matter where you go. To me, ( which you have already done ) it starts at home.
Right, no matter what state you call home you will run in to all kinds of different people, including those with the mentallity you are trying to avoid.

I am from NJ. I love Raleigh but I think you could easily find a slower pace of life in NJ. Not all parts of NJ have the hustle and bustle of the NYC metro area.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 AM

10,323 posts, read 18,668,197 times
Quote:
I was doing research on the best places to raise children in the US and Chapel hill was listed, that's way I posted under this area. I am disabled so employment isn't an option for me. How are the schools in your area? Thanks for the reply.
Chapel Hill is the most expensive part of NC to live. I don't see how someone on Disability could afford it there? Actually, it is sounding like you might be looking for a more rural area than The Triangle, anyway--more like the Eastern part of the state? The Triangle is pretty urban and getting more so with each year (especially as more and more are moving here from large urban areas).

Wilmington might be somewhere to look at--it's right on the coast.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:56 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,848,079 times
First..I really admire you for thinking about where
you could live to raise your kids the way you think is important.

I don't know if you want the suburbs or more rural but the
kids on farms seem more grounded to me. I share your
ideas on raising kids with old fashioned values.
Isn't it sad that respect and character are old fashioned.

There are smaller mountain towns that seem like what you are talking about.

If I were you I would consider moving to a small Ga town with conservative
values. In Ga if your kids have B grades their college tuition to a state
college is paid for by the lottery revenues.
I will double check that , but it used to be that way.
That would be a huge help when your kids are college age.
Cartersville Ga and Dalton Ga are great towns.
We visit family there and life is a bit slower, crime is lower, and
values are higher. Just calling like I see it. Schools are amazing in
Cartersville. No reason to need private.

Honestly the triangle ( Raleigh , Durham & Chapel Hill ) has changed.
Raleigh has public schools that reassign kids every few years and were
headed for year round (that may change with the new school board).
The whole triangle has rising crime and growth issues.

I wouldn't come here to raise a family if I were considering anywhere.

ps. I just read some on the Ga college fund and it is called the Hope
scholarship.

Last edited by kelly237; 01-15-2010 at 07:07 PM..

Old 01-15-2010, 06:59 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,848,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Chapel Hill is the most expensive part of NC to live. I don't see how someone on Disability could afford it there? Actually, it is sounding like you might be looking for a more rural area than The Triangle, anyway--more like the Eastern part of the state? The Triangle is pretty urban and getting more so with each year (especially as more and more are moving here from large urban areas).

Wilmington might be somewhere to look at--it's right on the coast.
Not sure how you know her complete financial situation.
She could be a millionaire for all we know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary