U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 04:34 PM

3,639 posts, read 5,025,666 times

Advertisements

I know you said $20 but for a little more you can get a really pretty crystal ring holder from Waterford that packs a lot of punch! New brides appreciate a pretty place to put rings while washing hands, dishes, etc. Crystal, China, Gifts, and Lamps by Waterford : Yours Truly Jewelry/Ring Holder holder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 06:28 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,860,571 times
Absolutely, positively...especially in this economy.

skaternum stated it extremely well. I think if a couple wants to profit -- or even break even -- from their wedding, they should just cancel the wedding, save their money and go to a justice of the peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
I categorically reject this notion. One should not extend hospitality with the expectation that you will get back in cash or in kind the amount you spent on that hospitality. It is social hospitality, not a business deal where you calculate a cost-benefit analysis. If you want someone to attend your wedding, you invite them. Period. If you go to a wedding, you purchase a gift that is reflective of your financial status and your relationship with the people getting married. Period. Anything else cheapens the sentiment of hospitality and reduces the whole thing to a financial transaction. Yuck!

Old 01-15-2010, 06:34 PM

856 posts, read 1,890,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
I categorically reject this notion. One should not extend hospitality with the expectation that you will get back in cash or in kind the amount you spent on that hospitality. It is social hospitality, not a business deal where you calculate a cost-benefit analysis. If you want someone to attend your wedding, you invite them. Period. If you go to a wedding, you purchase a gift that is reflective of your financial status and your relationship with the people getting married. Period. Anything else cheapens the sentiment of hospitality and reduces the whole thing to a financial transaction. Yuck!
I agree and so do etiquette experts.

I think you've gotten a lot of good ideas so far but I sometimes give wine glasses they selected from their china if they've picked one at a lower price point.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:00 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,019 times
I got the coasters that Vicki suggested. Still can't believe that I spent 20 bucks on 4 coasters. They were some kind of stone with the letter engraved so I guess that is why. Again, thanks.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:00 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,236,648 times
That sounds nice, mike052082. I had forgotten how newlyweds like things with their initials on them.

Great ideas here, that I have tucked-away for future wedding gift reference.

I also like some of the showers I have attended over the years -- one of my favorites was a Trim-the-Tree party. Each guest brought items for the holiday season, and I could well imagine how tickled the newlyweds would be, to actually have some nice holiday things to put on a Christmas tree, or to use in their home. It is so expensive to go out and buy holiday items, but most people like having a few things with which to decorate. I also liked a Stock-the-Bar party, and several of us 'organized' our gifts so there would be no repeats.

One of my own favorite wedding gifts was a place setting in a nice holiday china (two place settings, actually) with glasses, and placemats. It made for a special holiday morning for the two of us, and while I could never really afford to add to the set, it got to be 'the Christmas morning/dinner/brunch/whatever treat' to get the china. Fun for kids to think they had Santa's plate.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:30 AM

11,801 posts, read 27,477,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
I got the coasters that Vicki suggested. Still can't believe that I spent 20 bucks on 4 coasters. They were some kind of stone with the letter engraved so I guess that is why. Again, thanks.
Good choice! I actually thought they were so nice that I bought a set for myself!

They are some type of self absorbing stone but I like the fact that they are personalized.

I hope you took a coupon!!!

Vicki

Old 01-16-2010, 11:06 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,860,571 times
I once spent forever in Belk's trying to figure out what to give a friend for a wedding gift. (She had only immediate family at their wedding, but I wanted to send something anyway.) I was willing to spend a goodly amount, but absolutely nothing seemed right.

I finally took "cost" out of the equation and found what I would have liked: a set of four thick glass coasters, and a space where you could slip a photo inside each of them.

She LOVED them.

I googled "photo coasters" and came up with this even better product -- photos as part of the coasters. Cool.
Walmart.com: Personalized Tumbled Marble Photo Coasters: Personalized Gifts

Old 01-16-2010, 12:41 PM

To be honest I totally hate to feel like I need to give a gift, especially when it has a value on it. I have finally convinced my family to do a gift exchange on Christmas instead of spending money to buy everyone a gift. My mom and sister are such poor money managers but they spend a lot of money every year. I want everyone to be together and maybe cook the Christmas meal and enjoy each others company.

My wife, daughter and I now do some volunteer at the shelter on major holidays and spend it with people in need. I do this b/c I want my daughter to see others need help b/c she is in a position to have all her needs meet b/c of my wife and I.

This gift must be this is just ridiculous to me, thats all I am trying to say. I also don't want to get a gift that is a gift. I want it to be practicle and used. That is why I came to this forum.

Thanks yall. (even you nogard)

Old 01-16-2010, 04:01 PM

3,744 posts, read 9,450,765 times
I know the wedding has passed, however, I thought of a great inexpensive gift that others may find useful. Could be used for wedding showers, baby showers, birthdays etc etc.

At the Raleigh Flea Market, in the main inside building in the "entryway/foyer" there is a small business that sells cotton throws (blankets). She will date, monogram, put names on etc. The price for a crib sized is about $20-25. They really are quite nice and having it personalized is a great touch.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:26 PM

I know of some people that are giving their gifts later or at work but I was suprised at how few gifts were given at the wedding. It is a middle age crowd, so I figured more gifts would be there. I got marrried at 22 and had a young crowd and had tons of gifts from all my friends who of course where young and broke too.

Well at least Vicki gave me a good idea and I got them something that I like and think that they would like at a good price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary