Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:29 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

We had a small outdoor wedding at home. Two of my favorite gifts were ones I would never have thought of: a sculptural-looking, stainless steel soup ladle -- and one-piece teak salad tongs. They've lasted these last 17 years, and we use them almost every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
I always like to give a very nice photo frame, and I tell the couple to put a favorite photo of themselves in it. They, then, have to display it in a prominent place and look at it, so when the time comes that they may want to 'kill' each other, they can get back-in-touch with what brought them together in the first place.

I think a nice frame is a good gift because so many couples won't buy them for themselves -- the money has to go towards something else, and they generally have photos they'd like to frame and display. If you find a large frame, say, 8.5 x 11, or larger, you can also include a nice mat, in case they want to put a smaller photo in the frame.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:18 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I always like to give a very nice photo frame, and I tell the couple to put a favorite photo of themselves in it. They, then, have to display it in a prominent place and look at it, so when the time comes that they may want to 'kill' each other, they can get back-in-touch with what brought them together in the first place.

I think a nice frame is a good gift because so many couples won't buy them for themselves -- the money has to go towards something else, and they generally have photos they'd like to frame and display. If you find a large frame, say, 8.5 x 11, or larger, you can also include a nice mat, in case they want to put a smaller photo in the frame.
Kohl's has some really nice frames. They say things like "Wedding Day" and "Best Friends" and sweet things like that!

And...if you have a Kohl's charge card...you get 15% to 20% off!!!

Vicki

Old 01-15-2010, 11:47 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I also once gave a couple a modern-looking lead glass vase with instructions to the groom to fill it with flowers every year on their anniversary. It didn't cost too much.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:57 AM

357 posts, read 1,383,011 times
Vicki - you cracked me up because I have given those BB&B initial coasters MULTIPLE times as wedding gifts! They're great.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:41 PM

450 posts, read 1,553,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Wow, that's pretty rude. Not everyone is in the same economic situation as you. Your suggestion of a gift more than twice the stated amount was unhelpful.

OP, you might also consider a set of 2 monogrammed guest hand towels.
It might sound rude, but it is what it is. Most people spend a minimum of $50 a person for the reception dinner. I think it's rude to accept an invitation and then either not bring a gift or bring a gift that doesn't approach the value of the meal that you're receiving.

It has nothing to do with how well-to-do or how much I can afford. I just think it's a common courtesy to give a gift that aproximates the value of the meal you're accepting from the couple. If I cannot afford to give an appropriate gift, I will decline the invitation unless it's a close relative or a dear friend (which the OP has stated it is not).

OP, I suggest you purchase them a gift card for a store such as Crate and Barrel, where they can then choose what they like.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:10 PM

273 posts, read 911,596 times
Default An invitation is an invitation....

Ignore nogard13...unless he/she wants to send you $30 to round it up. If you can afford $20 spend $20.

Give from your heart and not your pocketbook. That is always the best. The bride and groom invited you because they want YOU to share in their joyous and spiritual occasion. Do not try to approximate the value of the reception. In these difficult economic times, $20 is a lot to many many people; don't feel guilty ever.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:28 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
If the bride and groom drink wine, maybe a nice bottle of wine. For that price you could get something they'd enjoy. Total Wine has a really good selection and a great staff that's always willing to give advice about what to get. They have many very good wines under $20.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:29 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyboat View Post
Vicki - you cracked me up because I have given those BB&B initial coasters MULTIPLE times as wedding gifts! They're great.
I have a house full of stuff with "R" on it! Anything that is personalized means a lot to people. I see you agree! Great minds think alike!

Vicki

Old 01-15-2010, 03:27 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
It might sound rude, but it is what it is. Most people spend a minimum of $50 a person for the reception dinner. I think it's rude to accept an invitation and then either not bring a gift or bring a gift that doesn't approach the value of the meal that you're receiving.

It has nothing to do with how well-to-do or how much I can afford. I just think it's a common courtesy to give a gift that aproximates the value of the meal you're accepting from the couple.
I categorically reject this notion. One should not extend hospitality with the expectation that you will get back in cash or in kind the amount you spent on that hospitality. It is social hospitality, not a business deal where you calculate a cost-benefit analysis. If you want someone to attend your wedding, you invite them. Period. If you go to a wedding, you purchase a gift that is reflective of your financial status and your relationship with the people getting married. Period. Anything else cheapens the sentiment of hospitality and reduces the whole thing to a financial transaction. Yuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary