Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 05:17 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
And if I remember correctly you aren't a parent, much less a parent of pre - teen/teen daughters and not to long ago you were complaining about how all the single women in the Triangle were dogs and not worth your attention.....'not quality' is how you put it, as though they were hung on meat hooks for you to inspect.

Young girls growing up fast might be good for self-centered predatory types whose goal is a one-night stand with a beautiful but insecure bimbo....but most parents want more for their daughter.
I'm sorry, but you must have mistaken me for another poster b/c I haven't made comments about the women here not being worth my attention. I think that I have even said that there are quality women here and that there is probably more quality here than there is the other extreme. Now, whether that's good or bad depends on the gentleman. It can get a little boring at times but that's neither here nor there.

And yes, most parents want more for there daughters, but in this era of Laguna Beach on MTV and The Hills on MTV, girls in high school are more predatory than guys no matter where you live. They want to appear grown-up and sophisticated and they'll tell you if they're honest that they don't like guys at their school b/c the guys are "not cool". I'm not saying it's right one way or the other, but to suggest that a certain city would be more conducive to keeping someone's daughter from growing up to fast is to offer false hope in my opinion. I'm not saying you are offering false hope, I'm just speaking in general about people moving here and expecting this area to shelter them from some things or provide with the holy grail. Florida is not a bad place, you just have to be aware of what your children are up to. I grew up in Florida and love it to this day. You can find any type of lifestyle you want in any major city there from wild and crazy to low-key. Plus, as far as I can tell I haven't been scared by have lived there nor have any of the other children that have grew up there. You just have to watch your children and make sure they know right from wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 06:55 AM

30 posts, read 104,050 times
My husband and I just moved to Raleigh from Tampa in March and we love it here!!!! NO regrets! As far as the taxes are concerned, do not worry. Every state has got to get their money somehow. Our homeowners insurance was $3000 a year in Florida vs. $586 a year here. Our car insurance went down considerably moving here and our property taxes are less here by almost $2000 a year.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:59 AM

125 posts, read 530,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Prius109,

I wanted to add that I have found Raleigh to be a great city for this to happen. It strikes a balance....at least it has in the past and does now. No one knows what the future holds.

With parents that stay involved, it's been quite possible for a daugther to expereince what a city has to offer it terms of culture and diversity and still not 'grow up too fast'.
I think 95% of it is in the hands of the parents, not the surroundings - I meet parents today that actually ECOURAGE this type of behavior.. makes me a little naueous!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:11 AM

157 posts, read 487,538 times
Chip, I live in Ft. Lauderdale ( Cooper City).House not on market yet .Retired from Miami F.D. City of Durham around the campus,Al Buehler Trail ,Duke Chapel and the Gardens were beautiful. Seriously considering moving to your area as long as I won`t be a pariah. A modest home,close to Duke Medical and above seems nice. Any advice, pics.? seacow

Old 05-10-2008, 05:55 PM

129 posts, read 671,014 times
I moved from Florida in August with my kids, my husband is still in Florida , waiting for our house to close. After 10 months on the market, we finally got an offer, but the banks expect the buyers to jump hoops in order to give them a loan..we have extended the closing date twice, hopefully we will close soon. My husband has secured a job and will be coming to live with us soon. It was hard to do this, but we have no regrets. We have a 19 year old in college here and our son, 17 in High School. I have great kids..it takes good parenting to raise good children..but I can tell you that Florida is not the easiest place to raise children. I find for the most part that people are very superficial in Florida and in terms of manners, I can comment on that too. My kids have noticed as well that people here say good morning, they are more respectful, the teachers act like teachers and for us , we have no regrets..we love it here. Florida was eating away our lives..this is a great new beginning for us.As for girls here, what i have noticed is that the high school young ladies look their age and dress their age and also I hardly ever see inappropriate displays of emotions anywhere in the school..My son has commented that the girls here are simple and honest and respectful..that says a lot for a 17 year old..
If you have done your research and want a change for the better, just do it and you will see , there will be no regrets..Good luck to you..if I can help, let me know...

Old 05-12-2008, 10:16 AM

17 posts, read 37,783 times
Default Leaving Ft Lauderdale was the best choice I've made, Since my divorce

I moved from Sunrise and the Nob Hill area, Near the Sawgrass Mall. I now live in Cary in a place called The Preston Woods Country Club. And it was the best decision I've ever made. Forget about the taxes it still comes out cheaper and you remain a sane person. After 40years of South Florida I was going nuts with the people's attitudes, driving and all around rudeness. And if you didn't speak spanish you were looked at as why are you living in my country learn the language(spanish)By the way my ex-wife of 13years was born and raised in Cuba until she was 10 so I am not a bigot. It's just the attitude that a lot of people have. Both my son's speak fluent spanish but just don't have that arrogance that a lot of biligual people have in the Miami area. It's a shame the area turned out this way but I am glad to be back in the good old USA. Randy B.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:48 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,244,112 times
Quote:
Propety taxes and insurance are what is forcing me out of Florida. I can afford to pruchase a nice home, but the property taxes and insurance (if you can get it) double your house payment. I'll miss living near the gulf more than I can express but, I want to own a home and have a comfortable life. More importantly, I want that for my children. NC here I come!
This is how I feel. I'm so nervous to leave here, even though I'm not really sure how much I actually like it here. I think I make do in Florida. I think I'm afraid it won't be better someplace else. But it has to be. lol

Old 05-12-2008, 03:13 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
This is how I feel. I'm so nervous to leave here, even though I'm not really sure how much I actually like it here. I think I make do in Florida. I think I'm afraid it won't be better someplace else. But it has to be. lol
I can imagine the anxiety you have. It's really scary to move away from what you know. Think of it being a new adventure that will be fun. Things happen for a reason and you'll look back and say I'm glad I did it. When you get to NC, make sure you get out and meet people, that way it will make it easier for the adjustment. Just look at all the wonderful people on this forum. I went through the same thing 8 years ago when I moved to FL, I adjusted. I'm getting ready to do it again moving to NC once my house sells. I have alot of anxiety too, but how do you know if you don't try it? Nothing is permanent and if it doesn't work, you'll figure something else out. Just relax and Good Luck! Let us know how you make out.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:30 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,906 times
Default MUCH better quality of life in Raleigh compared to Miami

In my opinion, the quality of life is MUCH better in Raleigh compared to Miami/South Florida. People in general are much more friendly and civilized. You do have traffic in Raleigh during rush hour but nothing compared to Miami. Customer service in general is MUCH MUCH better in Raleigh than Miami.

Hopefully, I am about 2 years or so from a possible move to the Raleigh area; particularly the Wake Forest/North Raleigh area. I was there last summer for a few weeks. I will be returning this summer and will be staying there even longer this year. Who knows, if within the next year a really good job opportunity comes up in Raleigh I may just jump the gun and move earlier. Two years or so is the plan right now. That is of course if the Real estate market is not down in the dumps and I am able to sell my home then.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:37 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,069 times
South Florida is a mess and expensive. You can find some nicer places in Central and North Central Florida.

In terms of taxes it really depends on the city. How close it is to the water is big. If you are living in smaller FL town you are likely paying a lot less in taxes. If you live in a big city or in South Florida it's probably about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary