U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 12:38 PM

12 posts, read 22,159 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info on public schools in Durham? My husband and I are considering a house in Brightleaf and need to know what the schools are like in that area. I understand that the kids from Brightleaf go to the school in that development. Is this true? Any info on that school in Brightleaf? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 01:10 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,960,104 times
There is an elementary school in the neighborhood. I haven't heard anything bad about it. The middle school is zoned for Neal. That is not so great. I would transfer from that school and drive my child to nearby Brogden unless they got into DSA.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:45 PM

12 posts, read 22,159 times
DSA? Sorry I'm not too familiar with the schools yet.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:11 PM

DSA is Durham School of the Arts. It is a lotterey school. Goes from middle to high. It is perceived as being a better school so everyparent wants to send their child there. I would choose between Brogden (traditioinal schedule) and Rogers-Herr (year round). Carrington is good as well but is much larger and therefore has more elective classes.

Is your child elementary or middle school. If elementary, I wouldn't worry about it. There is a proposal to have a Lowes and a grocery store close to the entrance on 70. If that goes through, I will see that as being a big plus for the property values. The developer of Brightleaf is even donating the land to get it there.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:28 PM

1,364 posts, read 5,457,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post

Is your child elementary or middle school. If elementary, I wouldn't worry about it. There is a proposal to have a Lowes and a grocery store close to the entrance on 70. If that goes through, I will see that as being a big plus for the property values. The developer of Brightleaf is even donating the land to get it there.
While I don't disagree with your take on the schools, just wanted to correct one slight untruth...

The developer of Brightleaf at the Park is different from the developer of Brightleaf Commons (the shopping center in planning). Brightleaf at the Park developers donated the land for the school, not the shopping center.

(And, if I had to bet, I'd bet on Home Depot, not Lowe's, since Lowe's has locations in N. Durham, SW Durham, and NW Raleigh now, whereas HD has a fairly big gap in the airport region.)

But Harris Teeter is supposedly a frontrunner for the plaza too, which would be nice.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
While I don't disagree with your take on the schools, just wanted to correct one slight untruth...

The developer of Brightleaf at the Park is different from the developer of Brightleaf Commons (the shopping center in planning). Brightleaf at the Park developers donated the land for the school, not the shopping center.

(And, if I had to bet, I'd bet on Home Depot, not Lowe's, since Lowe's has locations in N. Durham, SW Durham, and NW Raleigh now, whereas HD has a fairly big gap in the airport region.)

But Harris Teeter is supposedly a frontrunner for the plaza too, which would be nice.
You are right. Thanks, I just didn't give it much thought when typing it b/c I wanted to get it out fast. I heard that he donated the land for the shopping center so I could be wrong there as you stated.

I am one of the people trying to get Harris Teeter to get in on the shopping center. I went to a stockholder meeting with Harris Teeter (I work and own stock there) and they showed reports that Harris Teeter is the only major grocery store in NC actually growing in NC while others are closing.

I have also heard talks that it is actually Lowes (I hope it is as I prefer Lowes over HD) and that they are looking for a grocery store to commit. The problem I see is that Harris Teeter is actually leaving all leases that it can and is getting into shopping centers and such investments so I don't know if they will lease a new store.

Question:

I have been to one of the planning meeting where this was discussed but haven't heard anything as of lately. Has anyone heard of any movements on this planning and any store interested that would be documented in the meeting minutes to be verified? Mainly b/c most of what I know came from other people.

Last edited by mike052082; 01-15-2010 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: added a question

Old 01-15-2010, 11:36 PM

1,364 posts, read 5,457,320 times
Interesting - I, too, would vastly prefer Lowe's, however I'd just become resigned to Home Depot due to the lack of an HD in the area.

As for naming stores, I have not heard anything.

The only thing that made me conclude HT was that at one of the PC meetings, the attorney for REA kept talking about a popular grocery store, and then said something like 'you wouldn't have to drive all the way down Leesville road anymore'

HT is down Leesville road.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:10 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,060,804 times
I've spoken with the developer, and in the past, it was Lowes and Harris Teeter they had been speaking with. They both kinda backed off while it took too long to get the zoning to pass, and retail started tanking. I have not spoken with him lately, but if I hear anything new I'll let you know. If you want to try to get any info out of him, you need to talk to Joe Jernigan with Real Estate Associates-489-2000

Old 01-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
I've spoken with the developer, and in the past, it was Lowes and Harris Teeter they had been speaking with. They both kinda backed off while it took too long to get the zoning to pass, and retail started tanking. I have not spoken with him lately, but if I hear anything new I'll let you know. If you want to try to get any info out of him, you need to talk to Joe Jernigan with Real Estate Associates-489-2000
Thats pretty much what I have been hearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary