U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,508 times

Advertisements

Is it true that magnet schools in general cater to gifted childen and not children with IEP's? If not, what Wake County (NC) magnet schools offer or are better for children with IEP's? Do they have to honor IEP's like standard public schools? My child will be in 6th grade and is ADD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 12:53 PM

1,832 posts, read 4,456,747 times
You might also check out Sterling Montessori charter school, which we really wanted into--my 2 daughters sound so much like yours but they're 3 years (2 grades) apart in age. We have been happy with their base school but Sterling seemed prepared to work with a child's needs, whether those needs meant they needed extra challenges or extra help. AND....the kids aren't separated so firmly by grade--I believe k-2, 3-5, and 6-8th grades are together, so a kid who is actually aged for 4th grade will be in a class with kids aged for 3rd and 5th, too--seems like then the children could make friends more easily with others if they were drawn to older/younger kids. My younger child is a VERY young 2nd grader whose best friends in the neighborhood are first graders (and only a month or so younger than she is). My older daughter is unchallenged despite being in AG and is quite old for her grade.

Anyway, check it out. The down side is that the odds of getting both girls in at once are slim--the waiting list is long. But if you end up at the top of the waiting list you could find yourself with one child getting a spot in August and the other in December.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:18 AM

36 posts, read 345,952 times
Not true at all- I think in some cases they may even be better for students with IEPs depending on the program. Magnets are public schools, and are responsible for following IEPs.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:47 AM

412 posts, read 928,874 times
My experience with IEPs and my twins sons was only so-so. I felt often that by having the IEP for my son, it was an excuse for the teachers to say why my son had not learned something or not done well. We worked very hard with both of them at home, independent of school. After a year, it seemed that the IEP efforts were just not doing anything. I put both of my sons with a private tutor 3x wk. Within just 6mo they went from mid level performance to top of the class. We stuck with the tutor from 2nd grade thru 8th grade. They both had GPAs over 4.0 in HS, both are at NCSU today. I give all credit to their tutor, my husband and myself, and my sons. I really don't believe having the IEP helped at all in their learning.

ETA that my sons were in a magnet elem, Durant Rd.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:16 AM

53 posts, read 119,738 times
If requested by the parent, the school has a legal obligation to test for an IEP. This law is in effect regardless of the school.

Also, I think this is lost a lot in Wake County - An IEP is meant to HELP a child succeed, instead of just modifying their expectations to meet their ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary