Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,249 times

Advertisements

Hello.... I am considering a move to beautiful NC and I am excited about the possibilities (my company is considering me for a re-locate ) I have a 14yr old daughter that would be entering HS. She is in advanced placement here in MA. To be honest, i am less than impressed with her education thus far. In MA, our education system plays to the MCAS tests and the teacher's unions. It doesn't leave much room for inspiration and challenge. Any opinions on Apex HS? Some mentioned "year round" and "traditional" programs. Is there an option for everyone? Does NC offer any special college programs for in-state students with high grades? Also...I'm a 40ish, single, professional parent. I'm curious if anyone might recommend an area that would best support my family (single parent and teenager) A place with interesting restaurants, book stores, health clubs, activities etc... From what I have read; it seems that it might be Apex. I appreciate any and all suggestions Thanks so much !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 05:00 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
My son graduated from Apex HS in 2007. When we were going to move back to NY in summer 2006 we stayed in NC an extra year so that he could graduate from Apex because it was such a great high school. They have a program there called AOIT (Academy of Information Technology) that is supposed to really make students stand out to collages and gives them really good computer/technology skills (most of those students seeking to get into NCSU's highly competitive engineering school; which from what we were told accepted more students from Apex High school than any other in the state).

Old 01-15-2010, 05:46 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostoncjd View Post
Hello.... I am considering a move to beautiful NC and I am excited about the possibilities (my company is considering me for a re-locate ) I have a 14yr old daughter that would be entering HS. She is in advanced placement here in MA. To be honest, i am less than impressed with her education thus far. In MA, our education system plays to the MCAS tests and the teacher's unions. It doesn't leave much room for inspiration and challenge. Any opinions on Apex HS? Some mentioned "year round" and "traditional" programs. Is there an option for everyone? Does NC offer any special college programs for in-state students with high grades? Also...I'm a 40ish, single, professional parent. I'm curious if anyone might recommend an area that would best support my family (single parent and teenager) A place with interesting restaurants, book stores, health clubs, activities etc... From what I have read; it seems that it might be Apex. I appreciate any and all suggestions Thanks so much !!!
Its a good suburban school, not year round regular schedule. Nothing to write home about though. Scores are average. There is no teacher union here in NC so you can leave your anti union attitude at the door. But I would bet the MA school she is in is better than Apex.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,249 times
Thanks for you response. I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 AM

37 posts, read 106,356 times
I relocated from LI about a year and a half ago with a 14 year old entering high school. I picked Apex because of it's high school. (If you go to the wcpss website you will see their scores are excellent). We made the best decision, he loves the school and is in honors (same as NY). I am also a teacher and teach down here now and the schools are very good. Teachers are really committed. Good luck with your move, it's a great area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary