U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 11:04 AM

439 posts, read 1,109,359 times

Advertisements

redsoxjohn,

Some reading material, from NY myself and love it here, you really won't be missing much in the food area and the weather out weights it. So many northerners here and with them come's northern type food, no its not on every corner but its here once you get to know the area.

Business consultant notes Wake Forest growth :: WRAL.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 11:54 AM

8 posts, read 17,067 times
Hi redsoxjohn. Let me be among the first to say "Welcome to North Carolina!". My family moved here from upstate NY a couple of years ago, just before the recession. We've enjoyed it very much: we were fortunate enough to find good jobs at that time (no doubt it would be very much harder today), and the people have been overwhelmingly friendly and supportive. You'll find lots of your neighbors come from the north east too: we've meet many from NY, PA, NJ, and MA already.

My wife and I bought a house much like you're describing (4BD+office, 2.5BR, minus the cul-de-sac and fence; but tucked away on a quite part of a local housing tract and backing to a private wooded lot) in Apex at that time for about $325K. With the market conditions being what they are it's probably worth less now, but I don't know that for a fact as we haven't had it re-appraised and certainly don't feel underwater. We've been delighted with our house, our neighbors, and our entire community and have no desire to move anytime soon. Our property taxes went down quite a bit from what we were paying in NY, and our elementary school (Salem) is extremely good (see GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community for information and parent ratings of schools across the country, including many here in Wake county.)

You'll like the weather, summer highs are on average probably about 10 degrees warmer than NY/MA, winter highs are probably about 15-20 degrees warmer. It does snow from time to time (which shuts everything down because they don't have the equipment or experience to cope well with it on the roads), but it doesn't last long and before you know it the temperatures are back in the 40's and 50's again. Fall comes much later, spring comes much sooner. That first winter, my wife and I were amazed to see so many leaves on the trees in November, and buds on trees and flowers sprouting in February.

Do you have kids? The wake county schools are (generally) of decent quality, though the arguments about building more of them, busing for diversity, and whether to be year-round or traditional seem sometimes to be almost endless. Population growth remains high, and you'll hear a lot of discussion about resource (water, land, electricity, jobs, etc) and whether they're sufficient for the expansion. Water, in particular, is an issue with many (most?) communities still operating under restrictions first enacted a couple of years ago during a significant drought we experienced.

Do your children like sports? You'll find TONS of soccer and hockey down here. You can play all the common sports of course (football, baseball, basketball, etc), but for some reason those two seem particularly popular (my own daughter is a soccer fanatic, which we only discovered after we moved down here).

The job market has toughened up a LOT since we moved, so it's good that you have something lined up already. Depending on what you do for a living you might end up unemployed for quite a while if anything happens to that job, so make sure that's unlikely before taking the plunge. I've seen some local TV news stories in the last 6 months that seem to suggest that Wake county might turn the corner soon, but that's just the opinion of a few local economic professors, no doubt others would dispute those claims.

The food is great, albeit probably not the same selection you're accustomed to up there. BBQ is of course very popular down here. My wife and I are very fond of the sushi-thai restaurant in Cary, if you like that kind of food check them out when you get down here. There's lots of museums, theaters, shopping, and parks for entertainment, as well as three great universities: NC State, UNC Chapel Hill, and Duke (many great smaller, lesser well known ones around here too!).

I think you'll like it. We've been very happy in Apex, but I think all of those communities you mentioned are nice. Just stay realistic about the recession: NC has not been immune to its effects, and jobs are no easier to find here than they are in many other parts of the country. As long as you have one lined up and it's sufficient to meet your needs (in terms of salary and benefits) for the next couple of years until this recession improves I think you'll be happy down here.

All the best and good luck!

Old 01-16-2010, 02:25 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,824,845 times
You get most red sox games down here with the TWC Baseball package, but not those played against the Orioles and Nationals. Also, you won't always get the NESN broadcast, if that matters to you--it's always irritating when they show the other team's broadcast, especially when they're playing the White Sox (Hawk Harrelson is the worst.) I think you'd have to do something like Direct TV if you want to get NESN (others please correct me if I'm wrong).

yes, the lobster rolls you find here are unspeakable (nantucket grill offers one), but at least you can get top-loading buns at Trader Joe's.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:34 PM

3,744 posts, read 9,450,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
You get most red sox games down here with the TWC Baseball package, but not those played against the Orioles and Nationals. Also, you won't always get the NESN broadcast, if that matters to you--it's always irritating when they show the other team's broadcast, especially when they're playing the White Sox (Hawk Harrelson is the worst.) I think you'd have to do something like Direct TV if you want to get NESN (others please correct me if I'm wrong).

yes, the lobster rolls you find here are unspeakable (nantucket grill offers one), but at least you can get top-loading buns at Trader Joe's.
Big Red Sox fans here - we're from RI. I was going to post the same info as above but dcgirl beat me to it. There is also a large Red Sox Meetup group in Raleigh, they get together at sports bars to watch games.

It's great down here, we've been here for 20 months and haven't looked back. We haven't found a single thing to complian about, only the fact that we didn't make the move years earlier!

Old 01-17-2010, 06:48 AM

29 posts, read 55,708 times
There are a number of websites that compare living costs in different regions like Moderator cut: no links to competing sites allowed, per T.O.S.. Google will bring them up if you search 'compare living costs'. My wife and I moved eight months ago to Chapel Hill from Hagerstown, MD., and we find the costs of living about 25% higher, but Mass is much more expensive than MD. What struck us is the high cost of food, high sales taxes, personal property tax (mainly on autos), and more expensive professional services.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-17-2010 at 12:54 PM..

Old 01-17-2010, 08:16 AM

223 posts, read 498,166 times
We moved here over 3 years from the Boston area due to job relocation and one of the main requirements was to be able to get both Red Sox and Patriots games. The only option for us was Direct TV and get both the NFL and the MLB packages. The only problem with Direct TV and baseball is they don't broadcast Saturday afternoon games before 6 (or something like that) but if we are lucky, FOX will have the Sox game on. Anyways, in terms of schools, make sure you do your homework. Wake County certainly has excellent schools and we wanted to move to those very areas but in the end after all our research we moved to Clayton. We moved from not a very good school system and we are very happy with our choice here. Our kids are doing very well. I personally found the issues the schools were facing in Wake County to be stressful and even more so now with the school system changes up in the air with the new school board. All I am saying though is do your research. The choice is yours to make. The Raleigh area is great. After 3 weeks of a cold snap that definitely rivaled New England, we are back to NC winter weather of 50's (it has actually hit 60's the past few days). You will find food, culture, etc here and keep in mind that it is different than New England/Boston. There is lots to do here if you make an effort. You can also take day trips to Virginia where you can learn about Williamsburg and Jamestown history since you must know the Concord history so well. In terms of cost, my *opinion* is that for my family, we are spending less and need less of an income to live. We downsized- chose a slightly smaller house with a lower cost and I was able to take a part time job with a schedule the same as the schools. So our income is significantly less but that was one of the reasons we agreed to move here. To get back to a more simpler way of living versus the pace of the Boston area. We have lower taxes, electric, and heating costs. Food seems to cost more and there is a tax on food. But all the sports my kids play cost much less and we have no out of pocket fees for extracurricular activities at school. Good luck with your move!!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:30 AM

6 posts, read 7,473 times
I have recently gone through the process of relocation. I used a realtor Moderator cut: Realtor recommendations are NOT allowed, per the Terms of Service

I am relocating from MI and had a very limited amount of time to travel to/from Raleigh/Durham. Lin listened to my needs vs wants, gave her opinion because she has been been in NC for 20 years and knows the area/history quite well, and was very flexible with her schedule to work with me for a couple of 1 day trips to find my new home. Most realtors won't spend a lot of time with you on a rental because of the small amount of commission that is paid for a rental. But, they don't realize that if you seek homeownership, the impression and assistance that they provided to you during your initial move will go much further when it's time to purchase...that's why I highly recommend Lin. She cared about my transition.

I highly recommend renting your 1st year. The area is so spread out and of course with any state each area has their own characteristics. The area that I chose is Morrisvile and my job is in Durham. I am very excited and will be moving next Monday. Good Luck and plan, plan, plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxjohn View Post
Hi All,

The family is going to finally relocate to NC from MA. We are very excited this has been coming for a while now.
We were down looking at houses about 6 years ago and didn't pull the trigger cause we were nervous, but now we have an opportunity to accept a job transfer with Boston salary.

I have been looking through all the posts for relocation from the northeast - MA, NY and NJ, to get a real idea of what's in-store for us.
Would you all be so kind to answer some of these questions, I know some will be repeats, but I just want an idea.

We are thinking of Cary, Morrisville, North Raleigh with Apex a possibility.
Our housing criteria is the following:

4 beds
2+ baths
2 car garage
cul de sac
fenced yard
Association pool

We are coming from the Acton/Boxborough Ma, one of the more expensive areas of MA, but also one of the best school districts in MA and very safe. Average house price is well into the 400k's with property taxes over $6k, so a big reason we are relocating is the cost of living, taxes and WEATHER!!

The wife and I absolutely hate the weather and cost of living up here.
Of course we are going to miss many of the things MA/New England has to offer, FOOD, culture, History - we live on the Concord Ma border, can't get much more historical than that! But the winter is killing me, I have only lived up here in my life, each time we visit our friends in NC and FLA, we always wanted to try the south, somewhere not 10 friggin degrees!!

The reason we chose those areas is because we want to be very close to RTP as that is where my job will be and they were recommended by friends in the area.

I noticed Time Warner offers the baseball package, does anyone know if ALL the sox games are televised?? Of course I am a huge baseball/sox fan, watch pretty much 162 games a year.

I am also looking for softball and over 30 baseball leagues in the RTP area if anyone knows about that.

Can anyone offer any other advise/observations of past moves/relocation's from the Northeast to the RTP area, movers, insurance - health and car, taxes, utilities, cell phones, etc.

Any gotchas that I should be aware of? We may have to do the relocation on our own, so I am looking to do it as cheaply as possible, I looked at renting a POD and movers up here and down there or a U-Haul with movers up here and down there, but we have two cars to drive down or transport as well.

We are very, very excited about this move, this was a well coordinated plan coming for time.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-19-2010 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary