U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:15 PM

11 posts, read 22,724 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

The family is going to finally relocate to NC from MA. We are very excited this has been coming for a while now.
We were down looking at houses about 6 years ago and didn't pull the trigger cause we were nervous, but now we have an opportunity to accept a job transfer with Boston salary.

I have been looking through all the posts for relocation from the northeast - MA, NY and NJ, to get a real idea of what's in-store for us.
Would you all be so kind to answer some of these questions, I know some will be repeats, but I just want an idea.

We are thinking of Cary, Morrisville, North Raleigh with Apex a possibility.
Our housing criteria is the following:

4 beds
2+ baths
2 car garage
cul de sac
fenced yard
Association pool

We are coming from the Acton/Boxborough Ma, one of the more expensive areas of MA, but also one of the best school districts in MA and very safe. Average house price is well into the 400k's with property taxes over $6k, so a big reason we are relocating is the cost of living, taxes and WEATHER!!

The wife and I absolutely hate the weather and cost of living up here.
Of course we are going to miss many of the things MA/New England has to offer, FOOD, culture, History - we live on the Concord Ma border, can't get much more historical than that! But the winter is killing me, I have only lived up here in my life, each time we visit our friends in NC and FLA, we always wanted to try the south, somewhere not 10 friggin degrees!!

The reason we chose those areas is because we want to be very close to RTP as that is where my job will be and they were recommended by friends in the area.

I noticed Time Warner offers the baseball package, does anyone know if ALL the sox games are televised?? Of course I am a huge baseball/sox fan, watch pretty much 162 games a year.

I am also looking for softball and over 30 baseball leagues in the RTP area if anyone knows about that.

Can anyone offer any other advise/observations of past moves/relocation's from the Northeast to the RTP area, movers, insurance - health and car, taxes, utilities, cell phones, etc.

Any gotchas that I should be aware of? We may have to do the relocation on our own, so I am looking to do it as cheaply as possible, I looked at renting a POD and movers up here and down there or a U-Haul with movers up here and down there, but we have two cars to drive down or transport as well.

We are very, very excited about this move, this was a well coordinated plan coming for time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 06:26 PM

223 posts, read 502,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxjohn View Post
Of course we are going to miss many of the things MA/New England has to offer, FOOD, culture, History
Well, you might want to reconsider moving here as NC has no great food, culture, or history.

Are you serious...I'm originally from New England and I find your post to be ignorant!

Old 01-15-2010, 06:37 PM

11 posts, read 22,724 times
Hi Alf_Rocks,

Not sure why you think that? All I said is I will MISS those things, not that NC doesn't have any of them. Sorry you feel that way. I am just looking for experiences from people who have gone through the move process.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:40 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,049,292 times
I didn't read it that way . . I think he was saying he will miss the food and culture of the NE but he sounds pretty darn excited to move here.

After all, we don't have lobster rolls here, do we?

Old 01-15-2010, 06:43 PM

223 posts, read 502,594 times
My bad.

Good luck with the move. My family and I love living in NC. It is a wonderful state with wonderful folks!

Old 01-15-2010, 06:47 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,049,292 times
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snarky either.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:47 PM

62 posts, read 172,227 times
I think redsoxjohn was saying that he would miss the food, culture, and history of New England specifically. We do have food, culture, and history here in NC, it's just different than those of MA.

Anyway, welcome to the triangle, redsoxjohn. The property tax down here is a little lower, most places are right under 1%. The housing cost can vary greatly, just depends on how much money you want to spend. The Cary, Morrisville, Apex, N Raleigh area is very nice and very convient to RTP but prices tend be be slightly higher because of that. Make sure you get a good Realtor to show you around.

Wei Yan Chan

Old 01-15-2010, 08:04 PM

11,791 posts, read 27,436,549 times
I have a client from Boston that is getting ready to close on his new home. He watches all the Boston Sox stuff and has even joined a meet up group. Funny to find out that there are tons of folks from Boston in Clayton! Anyway...if you have any questions as to how things relate in NC when you are from Boston, I'll try to get him online so he can answer. He is busy now with all his new friends!!! And he should be packing for his big move next week!

Vicki

Old 01-16-2010, 08:19 AM

244 posts, read 537,904 times
Just analyzing your number and where you want to buy house, I must warn you to be prepared for sticker shock. You will pretty much use your $400K here to get what you want. I must add that you will come out ahead in property tax but pay the rest in sales tax here.
Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States

Old 01-16-2010, 08:56 AM

2,697 posts, read 7,611,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachivalay View Post
Just analyzing your number and where you want to buy house, I must warn you to be prepared for sticker shock. You will pretty much use your $400K here to get what you want. I must add that you will come out ahead in property tax but pay the rest in sales tax here.
Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States
Actually, from my experience it's the state income tax that will pretty much even things out, especially with a Boston salary.

If you want top schools, I think you're looking in the right area--West Cary/Morrisville/Apex have great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary