U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 03:55 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,489,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The N&O covered this. It was an off-the-cuff idea tossed out at a brainstorming session that has turned into a rumor that the towns are considering merging.

Cary-Morrisville merger? Not now - Local/State - NewsObserver.com
I guess Morrisville rejected the idea because they still want to keep their Christmas Tree let alone the prospect of being 'screwed by the town of Cary'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 04:02 PM

11,793 posts, read 27,455,077 times
Since Morrisville has been talking about making their own downtown, I'm not sure they would WANT to merge with Cary.

However, Cary's tax rate is lower than Morrisville's rate so it would benefit the residents of Morrisville a bit AND they'd get a Cary address (which seems to mean more to people). When I lived in Cary, 20 years ago, no one had ever heard of Cary so we just told people that we lived in Raleigh. How times change!

As for the Christmas tree issue in Cary...the way I understand it...Cary was calling the tree a community tree and they WANTED to re name it a Christmas Community Tree, not the other way around. Anyway...the vote WAS to call it a CHRISTMAS TREE (which it is).

Vicki

Old 01-18-2010, 11:26 AM

214 posts, read 603,304 times
This will never happen, and anyways there is no tax incentive for Morrisville residents to switch to Cary. Cary's tax rate is only marginally lower $0.33, while Morrisville's residential rate is $0.3665 - but Cary's will likely have to rise at some point while Morrisville's is anticipated to continue to drop until it is entirely phased out. Cary relies almost exclusively on residential property taxes for their revenue, while Morrisville actually gets most of its revenue from commercial taxes.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:41 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,423,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu2 View Post
Cary's tax rate is only marginally lower $0.33, while Morrisville's residential rate is $0.3665 - but Cary's will likely have to rise at some point while Morrisville's is anticipated to continue to drop until it is entirely phased out.
I really doubt the residential tax will ever be entirely phased out. Morrisville is continuing to grow. While it has not seen he residential growth other Triangle communities have in the past, it is adding more neighborhoods. Impact fees and commercial taxes can only carry the needed infrastructure so far.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:37 PM

476 posts, read 1,398,057 times
Yes, sounds like speculation... From Mayor Weinbrecht's (Town of Cary) blog 1/17 regarding the discussion at their retreat:

It should be noted that on the first day of discussion Council members Portman and Robinson suggested that we invite Morrisville to discuss the possibility of a future merger. I think it is important to understand the context of the discussion. The discussion was on 30 years from now in a retreat setting. Retreats are informal and everyone is expected to speak freely without much deep thought into comments. I am sure my colleagues meant no disrespect to the Town of Morrisville. Morrisville and Cary have a great partnership and we work on many things together. I am proud of our relationship and look forward to continuing to work together. I believe any talks of merger would have to be initiated by Morrisville not Cary.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:16 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,167,322 times
A timely article on the issue of merging metro areas:

Can Merging Metro Areas Cut Costs

Old 02-15-2010, 04:45 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,875,659 times
Question Cary + Morrisvile Merging

Should Cary and Morrisville merge? - Faceoff - NewsObserver.com

i ran across this article today while bored at work...
is there any seriousness to this, or is it just hyped conjecture?
i don't really feel qualified to pass judgment on Morrisville or Cary, since I generally avoid both, but I do get the impression that Morrisville is sort of pointless... if that's the case, maybe there's some sound reasoning to just incorporate it into a larger municipality.

anyways, what do people who actually know what they're talking about think?

Old 02-15-2010, 04:50 PM

4,188 posts, read 9,816,487 times
Discussed some here:

Cary and Morrissville merging?

It's something that got mentioned as an idea for 30+ years out at an executive retreat. Not something I see happening in reality.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:01 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,875,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north_raleigh_guy View Post
fwiw, i would like to see cary forcibly annex the land along capital boulevard so saturnfan will officially become a resident of cary! :d
:d lmao!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:50 PM

1,832 posts, read 4,456,747 times
GucciLittlePiggie, not that I took offense to your "morrisville is kinda pointless" comment, but I'm sure that many of the people who enjoy its lovely communities, excellent schools, beautiful greenways and parks, and growing amenities (including the Morrisville Aquatic Center) as well as its close proximity to RTP and RDU, would certainly take offense. North Raleigh/DT/ITB aren't for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary