Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 AM

222 posts, read 545,797 times

Advertisements

We just moved from RI as well! Wow!

We live in SW Durham and love it. Yes, there are those cookie cutter neighborhoods, especially as you get closer to Southpoint, but there are plenty of beautiful, established neighborhoods all around as well. I love it here because it's so convenient to everything. You have your pick of the typical shopping and chain restaurants as well as amazing independently owned dining establishments. I feel like there is a smattering of everything here. I know I have talked to several homeschooling moms at the playgrounds here too. Given the bad reputation of the schools, I'm willing to bet there are quite a few homeschoolers around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 09:52 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,185 times
Erinsmom, based on your comments I would strongly recommend Carrboro or Hillsborough. Both communities have strong, vibrant small town atmospheres focusing on the family; active farmers markets (Hillsborough has two by the way), good parks and rec, activities for adults and kids alike. I think you'd be wise to spend a day or at least 1/2 day in each. Going to WSM (Weaver Street Market) in Carrboro on a sunny warm day is a great idea, but you may have to wait a bit for that! There is also a WSM in Hillsborough now, but not to the same extent as the one in Carrboro. The new library that just opened in Hillsborough by the way is wonderful, and right around the corner from WSM. Check out Last Fridays in Hillsborough in the spring, through summer. As a thought, you mentioned you would be looking to homeschool your child(ren). If you are not looking at tapping into the public school systems, of course, you have more options. You will get more "bang for your buck" outside the CHCCS system, and you won't have to consider the high district tax which goes to support CHCCS. I will say that there is a lot more support for homeschooling now, than back in my day. There is a "Friday School" based out of Chapel Hill (but you don't have to live there) for homeschooled children (more for electives), and other support groups like daystream. You will also find many athletic options geared toward homeschooled children, but many of those are in Wake Co. Just some more food for thought. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:07 AM

28 posts, read 263,081 times
Check out Mebane, we are growing while maintaining a small town feel.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:15 AM

41 posts, read 102,522 times
I moved to Cary from SW Durham because of the schools.

We decided against Carrboro because there is nothing there. I can go to the farmers market only so many times.

Chapel Hill is great, but the prices of the homes did not justify me living there. I bought the same size house for $150k less in Cary.

Hillsborough has its charm, but there too I felt was too "country". The most happening spot is the Wal-Mart shopping center.

By the way, there are no large discount sellers such as: Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy in the town of Carrboro or Chapel Hill. With gas prices going up, that is something to consider.

Cary is definitely cookie-cutter, but it works for us.

Please I hope I did not offend anyone living in carrboro/chapel hill/ hillsborough. That was not my intent. Just putting my two cents

Old 01-22-2010, 09:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanerjohn View Post
Please I hope I did not offend anyone living in carrboro/chapel hill/ hillsborough. That was not my intent. Just putting my two cents
Nope - that was a pretty fair summary.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:57 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,185 times
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I have to comment on two of your statements:
"Hillsborough has its charm, but there too I felt was too "country". The most happening spot is the Wal-Mart shopping center. By the way, there are no large discount sellers such as: Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy in the town of Carrboro or Chapel Hill. With gas prices going up, that is something to consider."
To the first point re: Hillsborough. Unless you spend your time in the town, you really can't say that, and it's obvious from your post that you didn't. The most "happenin'" spot is actually the Wooden Nickel. There's alot going on downtown. Really. It's just a small downtown. As to the 2nd point re: big box venues in Chapel Hill or Carrboro. It's true about Carrboro (and many would say that's part of its charm), however there is the big box venues of Walmart and Best Buy just over the county line on 15-501. Strategically placed there I'd say, but not a distance at all. And just further down the road is Target. Chapel Hill's "big boxes" include Whole Foods, Southern Seasons and Trader Joe's...oh yeah and Lowes and Staples. But really, the Best Buy and Walmart are just on the other side. Not like you'd be driving an hr to get somewhere.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:25 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausmerika View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I have to comment on two of your statements:
"Hillsborough has its charm, but there too I felt was too "country". The most happening spot is the Wal-Mart shopping center. By the way, there are no large discount sellers such as: Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy in the town of Carrboro or Chapel Hill. With gas prices going up, that is something to consider."
To the first point re: Hillsborough. Unless you spend your time in the town, you really can't say that, and it's obvious from your post that you didn't. The most "happenin'" spot is actually the Wooden Nickel. There's alot going on downtown. Really. It's just a small downtown. As to the 2nd point re: big box venues in Chapel Hill or Carrboro. It's true about Carrboro (and many would say that's part of its charm), however there is the big box venues of Walmart and Best Buy just over the county line on 15-501. Strategically placed there I'd say, but not a distance at all. And just further down the road is Target. Chapel Hill's "big boxes" include Whole Foods, Southern Seasons and Trader Joe's...oh yeah and Lowes and Staples. But really, the Best Buy and Walmart are just on the other side. Not like you'd be driving an hr to get somewhere.
Come on now, a 5 mile drive to a soccer mom from Cary is like a trip to another planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary