U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 04:52 PM

165 posts, read 455,364 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm a Memphian who's going to be in Raleigh for a conference at NC State in February. I haven't ever been to the area, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on good hotels (for a reasonable, grad student budget) and/or things to do by myself the couple of days I'm going to be there. As far as I know, I'll be traveling by myself and be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning.

Any "must-sees"? Or "must-eats"? Or, cause I'm a cynic from Memphis, "must-avoids"?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 06:35 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,043,876 times
You can stay at the Ramada Blue Ridge Rd, maybe a mile from the school? You could walk over to Cameron Village from State and have coffee, breakfast or lunch at Cafe Carolina and ppl watch. Ck out the cool stores over there.
You could tour downtown, drive around Oakwood historic homes district and drop in for a Krispy Kreme donut See the governor's mansion, it's a lovely victoria home, tour historic Mordecai, and see the state capitol bldg at one end of Fayetteville St. Then walk the length and stop along the way for a cocktail.
You could have dinner in the warehouse district a few blocks away. If you like flea markets there's one at the fairgrounds, down the street from State each Sat and Sun, start maybe 7am?

Here's more info Raleigh Attractions - Things To Do in Raleigh :: I'm sure some other posters will have some good ideas for you. Have fun!

Old 01-18-2010, 02:30 PM

766 posts, read 1,402,019 times
If you like museums, I would suggest the NC Museum of Art which is right on Blue Ridge Rd. In addition to the other things suggested downtown there is a history and science museum.

If you like to shop Crabtree Valley Mall & Cary Towne Center aren't far away.

I think BBQ is big in Memphis, you may like to try our NC style of BBQ. I don't eat pork anymore, so I don't want to make any suggestions. There are some places that have turkey and chicken BBQ around here.

I guess it depends on whether you have a rental car as to where you would like to go and stay. I may be able to suggest if I know more about what you like.

There are some hotels directly on Hillsborough St if you don't have a rental. There is a new Sheraton Downtown. There are some hotels on Glenwood Ave. which is a few exits down. There is also a Comfort Inn @ 1200 Hurricane Alley Way about 2 miles from NCSU.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:50 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,729,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarsgirl79 View Post
If you like museums, I would suggest the NC Museum of Art which is right on Blue Ridge Rd. .
Good ideas, but the NC Museum of Art is closed for 3 more months as they add the new building - so hit that the next time you're in town.

Frank

Old 01-18-2010, 08:10 PM

165 posts, read 455,364 times
Thanks for all the advice! I'll be driving, so I'll be able to drive around some. I'll definitely check some of these out.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:33 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,855,929 times
Have breakfast at Big Ed's, in downtown Raleigh, on Saturday between 7 am and 12 noon. (It's closed on Sundays.) A Raleigh institution, you'll enjoy a high-calorie traditional Southern breakfast and have fun looking at assorted junk hanging from the ceiling.

Go to the NC Flea Market held on the NC Fairgrounds. It's fun to walk around. There's always some kind of event there, too. Here's a calendar of events: http://www.ncstatefair.org/events/calendar.htm

Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,432,745 times
Andy Warhol Polaroids are on display at the Nasher Museum of Art on Duke Campus through February 21st. Might be neat to check out and walk around Duke Campus. While you are over that way you could grab a bite to eat at Elmo's Diner.

Links:
The Nasher Museum of Art
Elmo's Diner

Old 01-31-2010, 07:21 AM

28 posts, read 49,918 times
I moved here from Collierville 6 months ago. Don't waste your time or money on the BBQ. You will NOT like it. I've tried 2 highly recommended places in Durham and didn't care for either of them. My impression of the BBQ was of boiled pork slathered in vinegar. YUK!

Stick with the Memphis Q.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:32 AM

247 posts, read 436,225 times
I highly recommend Big Ed's as well! It is sooooo gooood!! Fattening but good. As for BBQ (I am from MS originally and while I love Rendezvous for ribs, nothing beats The Pit. I love good BBQ from all parts and this is just plain good eats!!). We rented a house in Oakwood before selling our home and buying one in Apex, so Oakwood is a great area to explore. There is the Oakwood Inn if you like B&Bs and go down the street on Bloodworth to Side Street for a great lunch (they only take cash). You can drive down Glenwood and go to Five Points and see some cute and funky shops. There is a lot to do downtown as well. Raleigh is a lot of fun. Enjoy your visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary