Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:39 AM

10 posts, read 36,285 times

Advertisements

My elderly mother is thinking of moving to this area from Dunn, NC. Ideally she'd like a place with no yardwork, not too far from a hospital, no stairs, and where she'd be able to ride her scooter to the store and not have to drive much, preferably an area with a good number of other seniors. She would probably not want to spend over $150k. I was thinking townhouses in Kildaire Farm. Anyone have other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 08:25 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
She'd probably be better off in a senior apartment with transportation and other services available. Townhouses usually have stairs.

Capital Towers on Six Forks is reasonably priced for seniors with modest income. The Heritage on Falls at Carlos Dr is right next to Harris-Teeter but costs more.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
She'd probably be better off in a senior apartment with transportation and other services available. Townhouses usually have stairs.

Capital Towers on Six Forks is reasonably priced for seniors with modest income. The Heritage on Falls at Carlos Dr is right next to Harris-Teeter but costs more.
I am pretty sure she'd rather own than rent. She might well make it another 20 years and her savings wouldn't last long if she was throwing money down the rent hole.

Perhaps if she gets to the point where she really can't take care of herself she'll need to rent, but for now she is still pretty independent. I'll check out Capital Towers though. I am sure she'd love living in a place with so many other seniors nearby.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:35 AM

It might be more interesting to her with planned activities.

Although some townhomes provide some exterior maintenance, many only take that to mean no yardwork. All other expenses come out of the resident's pocket.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

Oh, and maybe I wasn't clear - I'm guessing Mom will have cash money to buy a place with when she sells her current home. It's paid for, and I'm thinking she'd want to have that again rather than a mortgage or rent payment. She's not rich, but not gonna qualify for subsidized housing either. There are plenty of places for those folks, but places for the middle class retired seem to be a bit harder to sort out.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:41 AM

She could put the money in a CD paying 5%. The interest might pay the rent leaving principal intact.

No maintenance issues and very easy to move if health changes occur.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:01 AM

I was hoping someone could suggest neighborhoods in Raleigh or Cary that have modestly priced one level homes or townhomes, ideally with nice sidewalks leading to shopping centers. Kinda like KF, but that's the only one I know of. There's got to be more.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:16 AM

Almost all townhomes are multi-level and sidewalks are not at all universal in Raleigh.

Now, if she can spend some serious rent money, the Alexan in North Hills itself has a really nice environment for her to consider.

Single level elevator flats. Grocery, movies, many stores and restaurants available for scooter access.

This would be nice if she could accept a small unit size since the rents are high.

North Hills is really neat now that it was redeveloped and a lot more (including condos) is soon coming.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 AM

8 posts, read 38,041 times
My inlaws live in Haddon Hall, a condo community off of 55 in Apex. It haselevators to each floor and is across the street from the Beaver Creek shopping center. It's not called an active adult community but every
person I have met is a senior citizen. I believe they paid about 160 about 1 year ago. They just opened a new building and are selling units now for about180 and up depending on what floor your on. They say it is extremely quiet and they are very happy. Hope this helps.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:19 PM

Apex is a nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary