U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:23 AM

892 posts, read 2,793,835 times

Advertisements

These heat pumps are just miserable in extreme and lasting cold. Sunshine and 65 today so open windows and let Mother Nature take a shot at it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM

26 posts, read 55,020 times
Our house is 1300 sq ft and we keep it 68 - our most recent bill doubled to $290.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:24 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,216,576 times
Ours was 120 in October, over 200 in November and over 400!!!! in December YIKES.

Yes I have a heat pump - set steady at 73 or so (can't get exact reading), not ever on AUX that I can see. Oh and my square footage (not heating the basement at all) 1800 sq ft...2700 total.

My highest bill before October was less than 120 in July

Old 01-19-2010, 05:36 PM

23 posts, read 69,371 times
My electric bill doubled this month. Ugh. We do have a heat pump and the aux heat goes on a lot.

This is what we figured out in the last week-- if the house temperature is less than the thermostat by more than one degree the aux heat comes on. Aux heat is more expensive than the heat pump (per google which of course knows everything! haha) so we go slowly up by degrees in the morning rather than cranking it up all at once and having the aux heat come on. It's also supposed to come on if it's below 40 degrees outside, thus the huge bill from last month with the record lows and such.

We also bought an efficient space heater with a temp gauge for our daughter's room and then turn the house temp down to 60 at night (we pile blankets on ourselves). We're hoping this saves us money on the next bill...

Anyone else have tips on how to save on electric bills with heat pumps?

1600 sq feet--electric bill was $235 ugh

Old 01-19-2010, 05:42 PM

10,727 posts, read 20,162,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey86 View Post
ugh, my electric bill this month was $154...for a 930sqft apartment...the insulation at my apartment is TERRIBLE! if i stand too close to the door or window, i can feel a huge temperature difference. grrr. hoping the new place im moving into has better ventilation, otherwise i may start just using space heaters.
One 1500 watt space heater burns a little over $100 in electricity a month running continuously. They really aren't economical used as a primary heat source.

What I used mine for was in the coldest days where I was burning though $10/night in electricity. I shut off my heat in my house and closed my bedroom door, then heated my bedroom/master bath with it (it did a fairly decent job maintaining the temp).

At $1.50 for the night using my space heater vs. $10/night using the heat pumps it was well worth it. Plus my heat pumps weren't running continuously thereby extending their life span as well considerably.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:51 PM

712 posts, read 3,714,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
Ours was 120 in October, over 200 in November and over 400!!!! in December YIKES.

Yes I have a heat pump - set steady at 73 or so (can't get exact reading), not ever on AUX that I can see. Oh and my square footage (not heating the basement at all) 1800 sq ft...2700 total.

My highest bill before October was less than 120 in July
Oh yeah, your heat was running on AUX. Enjoy that 73 degree sauna, hope it was worth $400. There are also these things called "long sleeve shirts" and "sweaters", you might look into them. :-)

Old 01-19-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genigirl View Post
My electric bill doubled this month. Ugh. We do have a heat pump and the aux heat goes on a lot.

This is what we figured out in the last week-- if the house temperature is less than the thermostat by more than one degree the aux heat comes on. Aux heat is more expensive than the heat pump (per google which of course knows everything! haha) so we go slowly up by degrees in the morning rather than cranking it up all at once and having the aux heat come on. It's also supposed to come on if it's below 40 degrees outside, thus the huge bill from last month with the record lows and such.

We also bought an efficient space heater with a temp gauge for our daughter's room and then turn the house temp down to 60 at night (we pile blankets on ourselves). We're hoping this saves us money on the next bill...

Anyone else have tips on how to save on electric bills with heat pumps?

1600 sq feet--electric bill was $235 ugh
You're on the right track. What you need to do is experiment and observe the effects. For example in my house, on the coldest of days (like we had for 3-4 weeks straight in Dec-Jan) 60*, 70*, 80*, it doesn't matter what the inside temp is set to because the pumps are running ALL THE TIME. Our houses are insulated horribly for our climate extremes (thank the folks who came up with our building codes).

I noticed that 55 and under was a good starting point however I eventually elected to just flat out turn off the heat at night and heat the bedroom with a space heater (see my post above for the calculations).

I also know that it costs around $2.00 to heat my house from low to mid 50's (where it is in the morning after being off at night) to upper 60's using heat strips. When it's really cold out, it's actually more expensive to run the heat and increase the temp little by little to avoid the heat strip activation...and it takes doggone near forever (hours) to do so.

With the weather we've had recently all the above is out the window, as I notice in our typical winter weather it's the same cost to keep the temps at a constant level OR heat it in the morning w/ the heat strips all at once.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:03 AM

258 posts, read 577,117 times
Two months ago we finally installed a new HVAC system (Heat Pump) and ALL new ductwork and a new air handler.

So the first bill jumped to $269 (about $60 more)

Then we got this months bill (upcoming) and its $400!!!!

The system is new, been checked out and working fine. I am unsure how often the AUX heat has come on, but we keep the house set at about 64, wear long sleeves, and are ok.

We live in an older home (1980's) but is insulated pretty well, and we replaced the windows with new energy efficient ones about 5 years ago.

The home is a cape cod style, 2 small bedrooms and a bath upstairs is it. Total Square footage is about 1012 ft, so the house is pretty small.

Since getting the $269 bill last month we have made a serious effort to conserve, turning off ALL unused lights and appliances etc.

However, in spite of using less energy, somewhere we DOUBLED it instead.

I am seriously thinking about turning off the heatpump and just using the Kerosene Heater again like we did the last two years while I was shopping for a new heat system.

Anybody else been sticker shocked this bad?? We've NEVER used this much.

Any suggestions/thoughts? I cannot do another $400 bill!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68scout View Post
Two months ago we finally installed a new HVAC system (Heat Pump) and ALL new ductwork and a new air handler.

So the first bill jumped to $269 (about $60 more)

Then we got this months bill (upcoming) and its $400!!!!

The system is new, been checked out and working fine. I am unsure how often the AUX heat has come on, but we keep the house set at about 64, wear long sleeves, and are ok.

We live in an older home (1980's) but is insulated pretty well, and we replaced the windows with new energy efficient ones about 5 years ago.

The home is a cape cod style, 2 small bedrooms and a bath upstairs is it. Total Square footage is about 1012 ft, so the house is pretty small.

Since getting the $269 bill last month we have made a serious effort to conserve, turning off ALL unused lights and appliances etc.

However, in spite of using less energy, somewhere we DOUBLED it instead.

I am seriously thinking about turning off the heatpump and just using the Kerosene Heater again like we did the last two years while I was shopping for a new heat system.

Anybody else been sticker shocked this bad?? We've NEVER used this much.

Any suggestions/thoughts? I cannot do another $400 bill!
"insulated pretty well" by NC standards is low.

I would go into your attic and check out how much insulation you have up there. Personally I am adding insulation this spring to get to R-50 (DIY w/ free blower rental from Home Depot). Your bill for December is kinda high too as mine was $107 total keeping the house @ 69. Bill from Dec 11 -Jan 14 was $200 but we were gone 10 days and heat was set to 50, so really it was around $300 if you discount that.

We have a tract home with crappy insulation but the HVAC system is working well.

Our homes just aren't built for the weather we had. To put it in perspective in the first week of my new bill we've burned through $20 in electricity so that's an $80 bill if you extend it out to 1 month time frame. The weather has been a lot warmer lately.

IMO your problem is insulation since you've ruled out your heating system. I would check into an energy audit that includes a thermal camera scan, they are expensive (a few hundred $$) but that will pinpoint exactly where you are losing your heat.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:00 AM

370 posts, read 1,020,308 times
Even with bad insulation a $400 bill for a 1,000 sqft house is outrageous. Is the new HVAC energy efficient? It sounds like your AUX heat stripes are coming on A LOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary