U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,679 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Wondering if someone can give me some tips on where to move in the Raleigh/Durham area. I currently live in SLC, Utah and originate from Pittsburgh, PA. I pick NC due to the close enough proximity to Pittsburgh, and also the ocean and the mountains. Two hours away in either direction I understand? But mainly because I just need a new start in a different place. I am also hoping to find a job at Duke as a registered nurse. I have 2 German Shepherd dogs as my "kids." So quality of schools are not of importance to me. I am willing to commute to work in exchange for a house with at least a 1/2 acre (more for my dogs), in a safe area. The house doesn't have to be big- at least 1400 sq.ft. is good. Less to clean if you ask me. I am hoping NC people are friendly so I can meet new friends and start fresh, I've been divorced for 2 years and it's time to move on. Living in a more rural area would be fantastic, but I also don't want to become a social recluse so not too far "out there." Finally, I am trying to keep the cost less than $160,000. Hmmmm....is all that too much to ask?? I have read many threads about housing costing much more, but that seemed to be in the neighborhoods of Cary, Carrboro, and Chapel Hill. Safe and friendly are much more important to me than big and rich. As far as things I do for fun-anything outdoors. Parks where I could take my dogs would be good too.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 08:36 PM

192 posts, read 521,250 times
im new to the area as well, and i LOVE how the raleigh area is SO pet friendly! you should have no problem finding a home in your pricerange with that kind of land. i was looking at houses about a month or two ago, but decided to keep renting for a while and save up more money.
anyway, there are a few dogparks in the area, as well. i have two dogs, currently live in raleigh but moving to rental home (w/ fenced in yard. yay!) in downtown cary in a couple weeks and always looking to make a new friend...especially a fellow pet lover! PM me if you want. otherwise, good luck with your search!! =)

Old 01-18-2010, 12:57 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times
Try Wake Forest. I found 10 listings under $160,00 with half an acre or more on a major Realtor web site.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:09 PM

22 posts, read 29,883 times
Try near Crabtree or Umstead Park. If not then look at some of the lake parks in the North West area like lake lynn or Shelly lake

Old 01-18-2010, 03:31 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,660,193 times
Actually, the mountains are more like 4 hours from here, not 2. If that's more important than beaches, the Triad area (Greensboro/Winston-Salem) would be a better bet.

It's very dog-friendly here; where will you be working? There are enough areas just outside the urban/suburban areas where it would be "country" in most every direction, but where your job is will make a difference, commute-wise.

Edited: I just saw where you expect to be at Duke. You might consider areas in Northern Durham county, or Hillsborough.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:36 AM

73 posts, read 249,474 times
Duke, outdoorsy, dogs . . .I'd say Durham around the eno river. It's a great nature walk and dogs love it.N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Eno River State Park

Old 01-21-2010, 11:25 AM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,049,489 times
Yeah, Durham/North Durham! It sounds like a great fit for you!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:04 PM

176 posts, read 573,777 times
Yup. Another vote for North/Northwest Durham. I admit I'm biased though since I'm a resident there (with dog, too)...

Old 01-21-2010, 04:58 PM

1,336 posts, read 2,695,382 times
Look for places in proximity to Umstead Park or Duke Forest, for a couple of ideas.

Umstead Park, on the North side has housing seems less expensive, while the south side (Cary) would probably be a lot more. I have not shopped homes so I don't know if it is in your range or not, but that area has some places that are both "out there" and not too far out. (Thinking of the areas near CarMax as an example, or the area near Shenk Forest). Also, I'm not sure about this, but I think Blinko's is a home for Steeler fans, if that matters to you. Blinkos is a good restaurant/bar in the area with really good regional sandwiches, and a good beer selection if I recall.

I don't know as much about Duke Forest, but it is good for outdoorsy and dog walking.

In general, this is a good community for outdoorsy-ness for the Southeast, however I doubt it compares to SLC in that regard. I don't know that for a fact, but I always have an impression of UT and CO being very outdoorsy...

Old 01-23-2010, 06:59 AM

1,878 posts, read 4,658,431 times
I just came across this and agree the best area for you hands down is North/Northwest Durham. You can find a nice house with at least 1/2 an acre near Duke and you have the Eno which I love, as well as Duke Forest. Check out the 27712, 27705, and 27707 zip codes. Check out Hillsborough too. The Eno also runs through there and there's a dog park. It may be harder to find something in that price range though. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary