U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 12:24 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,153,091 times

Advertisements

Onehappylady,
I just wanted to add that I'm sorry that some folks have gotten away from your original question to give unsolicited advice.

Obviously you couldn't give us the full story in a brief post. I'm sure you are not neglecting your daughter's current needs. In fact, I bet at times you are so bogged down with them that it is a relief to focus on something else. If that means gathering info for future use and musing on that info, then by all means do so!

Hang in there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 12:42 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,829,467 times
I think the answer is that there is no specific high school in Wake County designed specifically to meet the needs of a academically struggling student. They ALL have programs, resources and teachers to meet the needs of a very wide array of students, from those who struggle academically, to those who speak no English to those who take all honors and AP classes.
As other have mentioend, the best bet is to tackle to problem now and look towards how to make you child succesful right now and in middle school and don't stress out too much about high school.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:29 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,045,397 times
LibrarySue - while your post is well-meaning and intended to be supportive, how are you "sure" she is not neglecting her daughter's current needs? Now I am not saying she is, I don't know her and not enough was shared, but you don't know the poster either, so how can you be "sure"?

None of us said she is "neglecting" her needs per se, but we question why the focus on HS when her child is maybe 8 or 9yrs old? Normally, when a parent has a child with these issues they want to know what they can do now, how they can prepare them for what's next. They want to hear how other parents have, or do, handle this. HS is a moot point for now due to the child's age and, as none of us in Wake County can say which HS our child will be in yrs from now.

Your other post with links to Conn elementary (and WCPSS) you feel might be a fit merely illustrate options in Wake County, but do NOT mean that she could get her child in those particular schools. As you do not live here and your info comes via web-based research, let me tell you that Conn is a very sought after school. I, and many parents I know, tried to get our kids in there. I cannot imagine how many other parents did too.

For those folks thinking of moving here, let me be clear about the state of our schools as of today, as the situation is changing it seems, by the day. Our area is growing rapidly, 100ppl/day moving here, I heard Las Vegas has 150-175ppl/day. Some of our schools are over-crowded (but still doing a good job) and so as new schools are built, kids are moved to fill them. Overall, we have a good school system. But they are not miracle workers. All are doing the best they can to deal with the growth. Our school board has many new members who want to change direction - less year round, more neighborhood schools. So, we honestly don't know if the school we are assigned to this year is the one our kids will be assigned to next year and therefore, cannot answer the OP's question.

BTW - the OP doesn't appear to live here(?). There is something fishy about it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Onehappylady,
I just wanted to add that I'm sorry that some folks have gotten away from your original question to give unsolicited advice.

Obviously you couldn't give us the full story in a brief post. I'm sure you are not neglecting your daughter's current needs. In fact, I bet at times you are so bogged down with them that it is a relief to focus on something else. If that means gathering info for future use and musing on that info, then by all means do so!

Hang in there!

Old 01-18-2010, 01:39 PM

Onehappylady

You might also look into these schools...one seems to have career/tech programs
Another looks to be the kind of school you wish to avoid...Regardless, it sounds like an excellent school for the students it is designed to serve.
School Directory: Special/Optional Schools and Programs

Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 PM

Default Sorry, I didn't intend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
LibrarySue - while your post is well-meaning and intended to be supportive, how are you "sure" she is not neglecting her daughter's current needs? Now I am not saying she is, I don't know her and not enough was shared, but you don't know the poster either, so how can you be "sure"?

None of us said she is "neglecting" her needs per se, but we question why the focus on HS when her child is maybe 8 or 9yrs old? Normally, when a parent has a child with these issues they want to know what they can do now, how they can prepare them for what's next. They want to hear how other parents have, or do, handle this. HS is a moot point for now due to the child's age and, as none of us in Wake County can say which HS our child will be in yrs from now.

Your other post with links to Conn elementary (and WCPSS) you feel might be a fit merely illustrate options in Wake County, but do NOT mean that she could get her child in those particular schools. As you do not live here and your info comes via web-based research, let me tell you that Conn is a very sought after school. I, and many parents I know, tried to get our kids in there. I cannot imagine how many other parents did too.

For those folks thinking of moving here, let me be clear about the state of our schools as of today, as the situation is changing it seems, by the day. Our area is growing rapidly, 100ppl/day moving here, I heard Las Vegas has 150-175ppl/day. Some of our schools are over-crowded (but still doing a good job) and so as new schools are built, kids are moved to fill them. Overall, we have a good school system. But they are not miracle workers. All are doing the best they can to deal with the growth. Our school board has many new members who want to change direction - less year round, more neighborhood schools. So, we honestly don't know if the school we are assigned to this year is the one our kids will be assigned to next year and therefore, cannot answer the OP's question.

BTW - the OP doesn't appear to live here(?). There is something fishy about it.....
Raleighlass, I thought your first post here was well thought out and had some good ideas.

I had no thought about where the OP lived nor did I feel it my place to question her motivations.

For some of us, telling us to not think of the future in regards to our children is like telling us not to breathe. It may not always be rational.

My own dd is 9 and has special needs. I considered the strength of the high school in my current district when I bought my home. She was 18 months at the time and I was not aware of her needs then. HS is certainly not a moot point to me.

In a forum like this it seems to make the most sense to provide helpful info if one can, and refrain from responding if one cannot. How is telling her she is wasting her time helpful?

Old 01-18-2010, 02:11 PM

Library Sue..honestly, I am not trying to ride you but you are misleading this person!

The schools you list, I have heard of two of them and they are maybe 2 miles from my home. You live in another state I believe? My understanding is that children are placed in these schools which are run by WCPSS, mostly because WCPPS cannot educate them in a traditional setting; many, if not all, have serious behavioral issues, some have been kicked out of school - these places are their last resort, some have quite severe anger issues. My friend who is a teacher here, has told me about these schools.

I just read some posts by the OP. I was wrong in reading her post and determining she lives out of this area. It seems she lives in Wake Forest, home to excellent schools.

I stand by my comment of something fishy....why on earth wouldn't you be focused on MS now, not HS?

Old 01-18-2010, 02:13 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,829,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Onehappylady

You might also look into these schools...one seems to have career/tech programs
Another looks to be the kind of school you wish to avoid...Regardless, it sounds like an excellent school for the students it is designed to serve.
School Directory: Special/Optional Schools and Programs
REALLY???? I will warn you right up front: You do NOT want to send your child to those schools. In fact, I'm not even sure you CAN. They are called alternative schools for a very good reason. I really think that while you might be well meaning, you should honestly avoid giving people advice on specific schools in an area you don't live, work or have any real experience with.

Last edited by lamishra; 01-18-2010 at 02:26 PM..

Old 01-18-2010, 02:39 PM

Library Sue...sorry, I posted the last one and then I saw your retort.

I'm not questioning anyone for considering what future schools their child will go to. We agree we want the best for our kids. I have done the same.

But, in the present day context of WCPSS, it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to advise someone whose child is 8 or 9, where to live, what school to look out for yrs from now. Heck, we can't even tell you what next yr will be like! This is why I keep saying you don't live here...you have no idea unless you follow it as closely as us parents living here have had to do. Clearly, where you live, your city/state you have the luxury of choosing your school based on the neighborhood and know it will remain unchanged for the next few yrs. Again, we don't have that luxury.

I have heard of many parents buying homes in certain neighborhoods believing their children will go to the school for that neighborhood. Only, after they move in they are re-assigned to a different one, they have no recourse. I have seen these parents get up in front of the school board at their open mtg and cry, and beg for some understanding. It didn't do any good.

As for your question about telling the OP she is wasting her time, and that we should only respond if we can answer their question with helpful info. My response was parent to parent. Someone who has raised a child in WCPSS, my oldest is 30 yrs old, my youngest is almost 12. I am not the mom of a young child who has only been doing this for 4 or 5 yrs...I've been around the block

I see her as many of us have been at one time, trying to figure things out, reaching out for advice. We've all needed help and advice along the way. If she's asking about HS in Wake County, in this day and time, then either she's new to the area, misguided about what she needs to be focusing on, etc.. In any case, Wake Forest schools are excellent, she needs to start there at her child's school. They have numerous resources they can refer to her to. They will tell her the same, get your child thru 4th grade, etc...worry about HS later.

Sue - while I admire your empathy for the OP, please, when you dispense well meaning advice about our school system, know that you are missing some important key elements not living here.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:01 PM

13 posts, read 21,449 times
I appreciate many of your thoughts on focusing on Middle School. The only reason I have asked about tech/trade high schools is because we have two special ed family members out of state who have benefited from these types of schools. We also have teachers in our family who have recommended them. Do you have suggestions regarding middle schools in the area?

By the way, we have had my daughter through academic testing and counseling. She is on meds. I work with her regularly at home after school and she has had special help when school is out. I have great hope for her future. I'm just a mom who wants the best for her!

Thanks!

Last edited by onehappylady1; 01-18-2010 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-18-2010, 07:13 PM

Default Wow...I didn't say she should SEND her child there

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
REALLY???? I will warn you right up front: You do NOT want to send your child to those schools. In fact, I'm not even sure you CAN. They are called alternative schools for a very good reason. I really think that while you might be well meaning, you should honestly avoid giving people advice on specific schools in an area you don't live, work or have any real experience with.
What I said was: she should look into them. Sometimes when we are trying to assure ourselves we are on the right track we need to look at all the options to eliminate what is not right for us.

The OP knows her dd's IEP better than we do. It is within the realm of the possible that her child could be tracked into one of those schools. (and if she is, you've just dissed it with no apologies to those who have made the hard choice to send kids there) She might feel better if she looks at these and says "Sheesh, my girl might need extra help but she sure won't need this!"

Nor did I suggest that she buy in any particular neighborhood based on a desired HS. That was not implied anywhere in my posts. My suggestion was based on the assumption that she was intelligent enough to read the info provided by WCPSS: understand the Magnet program, the constant redistricting and the Alternative school and use that info as she sees fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary